Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-20, 14:24

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBee2
I keep my rice and pasta in canning jars. No bugs....No rodents.
I'm a pantry shopper...so if we use it out of the pantry it goes on the grocery list.

Rice and pasta have been out of my pantry for years because they're definitely not Low-Carb.
I just need low-carb ideas of foods to put into the pantry besides canned fish, I already have those.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-20, 14:38

Plan: low carb
Stats: 210/172/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 54%

My kitchen still has carbs...I'm the only one in the family LC.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 22:52

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
What kind of LC food do you have in your pantry. I know about canned fish like sardines, anchovies and tuna but what else is there for LC that is shelf stable?

Hi Meme ... I have had an extended period of no internet, thus my late response. My LC pantry includes quite a bit of canned fish; I don't use it often, but know it is there for a quick lunch if needed. I have home canned tuna & salmon, but also smoked oysters, anchovies, sardines, herring, etc. I also have somepickled herring in the fridge; home made, and for me alone, as DH doesn't care for it. I have various canned tomato products as well. I have many jars of poultry broth (bone broth) and some beef broth; many people keep these in their freezer; I have a pressure canner, and so make them shelf stable that way. I keep certain condiments, such as avocado mayo, mustard, tabasco, coconut aminos, fish sauce - the bottle I am using, as well as an extra on the pantry shelf. I prefer homemade mayo & mustard, but like to know I have an option, for emergencies. I have numerous jars of home dehydrated mushrooms; DH and I both are fond of mushrooms, but I am too cheap to spend top dollar for them, so wait until they are in season, and dry them. Still not cheap, but not so very expensive :-). I have some home dried veggies and fruits, the most useful being dried tomatoes, garlic, & onions. I have a large spice and herb shelf, this being one of my particular interests (we are both very fond of spicy foods from other nations). And, of course, a wide variety of teas (for us), and vacuum sealed jars of coffee beans (for guests). Occasionally I will have jars of fermenting veggies on the counter, and sometimes yogurt or buttermilk as well. I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting. I came into LC from a Whole Foods, frugal way of eating, and have mostly just changed my idea of what is appropriate food, but not my ideas of keeping a pantry, and preserving.
I'm finding that my Pantry Preparations are serving me well in the present circumstances. With my pantry shelves, and full freezer, I have only needed to shop for eggs (from a local farmer), and bread for DH (and some beer for my German DH, to keep him from getting too desperate).
Stay well
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 23:45

BF:

Thanks for all of the great ideas Verbena!
I have to say, thank goodness you did this thread because it made me realize that my pantry was bare.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 20:09

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

My internet access has been even more spotty of late than before, but we, yesterday, finally were able to change our provider, so maybe things will be better now. At any rate, though I haven't been able to mention it, I have ben eating from both the freezer and the pantry.
Yesterday I pulled out, from the freezer, a package each of ground beef & ground pork, as well as a small pack of pork liver; my intent was to make meatloaf today. DH on the other hand still had leftovers from his yesterday noodle casserole for today's dinner, and was planning to visit one of our local restaurants for take out tomorrow (for their financial well being, and because he likes their food). So instead I used what I had to make a big pot of meat sauce for "pasta". I used the defrosted meat, as well as (home) canned tomatoes from the pantry, tomato paste, some bone broth from the pantry, and various herbs from my spice shelf.
For my dinner I poached 2 eggs in the newly made sauce, and topped w/Parmesan cheese. The sauce is quite useful for many applications, so I will keep it in the fridge. If it lasts longer than anticipated it will go in the freezer.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 21:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
For my dinner I poached 2 eggs in the newly made sauce, and topped w/Parmesan cheese. The sauce is quite useful for many applications, so I will keep it in the fridge. If it lasts longer than anticipated it will go in the freezer.

This sounds so good poaching the eggs in your sauce.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-20, 09:09

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
We have been repackaging the rice from plastic bags, as the mice will chew open and steal the grain. Has been a long process to kill off all those ^&*((*& rodents. the buggers.

Early last winter we had 3 mice get into the house - have no clue how as we've never had mice in this house. Two were quickly caught in traps, but the 3rd one wouldn't go near the traps & somehow survived. It finally found the poison & disappeared. Later, cleaning out the pantry (aka the furnace room), I found what it had been living on. I had stashed some bags of lentils to turn into chicken food, but forgot about them. The mouse found them & made quite a mess.

When we lived in the cabin (while working on the house) we never did figure out where the mice were coming in. So it was a habit to put everything that a mouse would like into jars. Adams peanut butter jars are very useful for this.

In the feed room I have 2 small dead refrigerators on their sides for chicken food. They are perfect for keeping the mice out. Even the mama bear who broke into the feed room wasn't able to do more than dump the feed. The fridges were still in good shape.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-20, 05:34

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Bears !!!!! yikes. Like big mice, lol.

Yes, mice are buggers. Over the years, Ive learned to switch up mouse trap options: always one mous that outsmarts the trap. Smart buggers.

I dont know how they get in either. The house is tight, but I looked for holes......

Still seeing damage on newish items added to pantry.....been setting traps most nights!! Catching a few.

Used beans from supersize mayo storage container, pretty layers of different beans.

Butternut has started rotting.....off to compost and chickens.