Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 12:57
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Does this sound like diabetes?

In 2 different schools I attend students practice capillary blood draws on my fingers. I've had about 40 draws in a year. For the last 3 years my random blood sugar has been around 100, didn't matter if I'm lowcarb or not.

After I went on an inhaled steroids for asthma my random blood sugar has been a solid 105 for the last 2 years.

I began having stress associated with the school, I break out in sweats, sometimes just walking into the school. Over 5 weeks I watched my blood sugar climb every week 105, 111, 121, 132, 152. I got my doctor to do a physical my fasting blood sugar was 101 but they lost the HbA1c results and my thyroid test. I saw my doctor yesterday but she wouldn't redo the test, she's sending me to an endocrinologist- this will take a month or so to approve and it's mostly for my thyroid. I haven't happened to see any endos that have been of any use to me in 17 years of hypothyroidism.

I don't know if one has anything to with the other but I also have anemia.

Are endos any help for diabetes? Does diabetes come on really fast like this typically?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 14:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Endos. In my limited experience with endos, it depends on th endo. They are supposed to be well versed in the hormones and the other chemical communicators in the body.

When I had gestational diabetes I was sent to an endo-- I thought he was a jerk and was ( sort of ) happy when I didnt get pregnant again though we wanted to.

I too am getting sent to an endo and my primary says this one tends to prescribe low doses of thyroid meds when she wont.

Might be worth the first appoint ment to check out if this person meets your standards.

You probably know stress drives everything bonkers--- looks like your blood sugars are jumping to your rescue as your body thinks you are under attack and need to flee so is making the glucose available to you.

Here is a stress breaker that I am trying to utilize:

Breath in slowly and think " I am", then breath out very slowly and think " peace" . It is working for me, so Im hoping it will help you too. ( I have mild panic attacks.)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 14:34
Registered Member

The first endo I saw had big pics of slaughtered animals all over the walls - militant vegetarian. He took 2 calls during my appt about the car he was buying.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 15:51

BF:

Crappy doctor. Try a different one.

I am concerned your numbers are jumping, but if you can find peace internally until your class stuff can be delt with.

You amaze me. I could not handle all that you do. Which is why you r better at nursing than i am. And good reason i didnot apply to vet school. Even the most dire situation can be delt with in a calm manner.

We had a small fire in the kitchen. No time for panic but in 100% emergency mode and we worked on full adrenaline rush to get the fire in a fry pan out before it spread. There are times for full on stress, like this one. Our calculated actions at lightening speed saved our house.

We can feel like this over many circumstances in a day, or a lesser version, and it takes its toll.

The criteria for diabetes is after a slug of glucose does the peak level get reduced to normal in a timely manner.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 23:53
Registered Member

I decided not to go back to this physician. Good doctors don't lose tests results and do nothing about it and ignore potential diabetes, long untested thyroid and anemia.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 05:47

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Depends if those blood glucose readings are after fasting - in other words taken after you get up from sleeping in the morning, before you eat anything. If those readings are after the first meal, they're not so bad.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 08:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I decided not to go back to this physician. Good doctors don't lose tests results and do nothing about it and ignore potential diabetes, long untested thyroid and anemia.

I was thinking more about this---- they can get the test results again from the place the tests were run. Ask them to do that. Just don't mention you are dumping them. Just get the reports. Most testing is not in house-- blood is sent out for testing.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 11:23

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

In reading this, there is something very abnormal about this loosing the test results. First, nothing is mailed anymore, it's all electronically transmitted. They don't print it because no doctors maintain a paper file anymore, it's all electronic.. All they have to do is go back to the right email or sign into the lab that did the testing and forward it to you..
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 11:42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Depends if those blood glucose readings are after fasting - in other words taken after you get up from sleeping in the morning, before you eat anything. If those readings are after the first meal, they're not so bad.

They are random readings, the bad ones were right after lunch. The school was on my primary school list. After I was a week out from completing the program they charged me extra money and made me sign a 64-page contract. They wouldn't let me go to my internship until I signed and paid. I could have sued but I decided to get on with it and did those blood tests under duress. Now I have an all day Friday class helping science students to pay for the phlebotomy class.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 11:47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
In reading this, there is something very abnormal about this loosing the test results. First, nothing is mailed anymore, it's all electronically transmitted. They don't print it because no doctors maintain a paper file anymore, it's all electronic. All they have to do is go back to the right email or sign into the lab that did the testing and forward it to you..

Thanks Meme I was wondering that, they gave me some of the results, there is an accessioning number for my blood sample that states it was sent to Qwest Laboratory. I'll see if they can find it that way.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 11:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
In reading this, there is something very abnormal about this loosing the test results. First, nothing is mailed anymore, it's all electronically transmitted. They don't print it because no doctors maintain a paper file anymore, it's all electronic.. All they have to do is go back to the right email or sign into the lab that did the testing and forward it to you..

Thanks Meme, you said it better than I did.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 11:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
They are random readings, the bad ones were right after lunch. The school was on my primary school list. After I was a week out from completing the program they charged me extra money and made me sign a 64-page contract. They wouldn't let me go to my internship until I signed and paid. I could have sued but I decided to get on with it and did those blood tests under duress. Now I have an all day Friday class helping science students to pay for the phlebotomy class.

You can probably sue later to get your money back.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 11:58

BF:

PS love your weight loss scale, the girl pedalling like mad to reach goal. LOVE IT!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 13:06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
You can probably sue later to get your money back.

My school took them off the recommended list, losing a potential 30 students a year at $3000 a person is enough for me. Perhaps, inspire them to do better.

There have been weeks they don't have gloves, butterfly system, a setup for left-handed people or trays for supplies.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 15:04

BF:

Sheeesh.......are they clean?????