Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default How to communicate with Filipino diabetic

Yesterday a woman at my work was crying. She's 55 on the thin side and takes insulin. She was crying because she said she eats almost nothing but she can't get her blood sugar down. She goes to the dr every month. Her A1c is 9.

I tried to tell her about Dr. Fung but her first language is Filipino (tagaloc?). Is there any way to help her?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 12:56

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes, tell her to stop eating rice and to eat much more meat. I had the exact same situation with one lady I've known for years. She asked me what to do since I am healthy and not diabetic. She is rail thin but full blown diabetic! She didn't like my suggestion because normally her plate is totally full with rice and anything else on there is a tiny side portion. For her the rice is the meal.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 13:04
Registered Member

I think she can understand that much (I hope). I work in a Filipino neighborhood and English is not required at my job. I think the fact that she told me indicates she wants to fix this.

It's pretty sad if she goes to the dr every month and they haven't told her that!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 14:04

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

One thing you have to remember is that different ethnic groups have wildly different predispositions to diabetes. Some of this is her genes and she can't do anything about her genes. There may be some groups that offer diabetic counseling emphasizing traditional diets (meaning precolonial!) - that is a very popular approach with indigenous tribes in the United States. My former Filipino boss died not too long ago. He fought the good fight with jogging and keeping a hold on his weight but genetics really suck hard for colonized people who were never meant to be exposed to the foods that hit their bodies so hard. Someone has to be working on this within the context of ancient or precolonial food traditions who can speak Tagalog.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 14:35

BF:

I don't think it has anything to do with genetics or race. It has to do with what's being put in the mouth. No matter where someone is from.
I had a guy recently tell me that he has diabeties on both sides of his family. He has learned about low carb and we were talking about it. Then he told me about going through MDonalds and buying his dog his own burger. Now we know nothing good happens in the MD drive through. He's a 100 lbs over weight. He comes from a family who is eating tons of carbs. If it's rice, chips, fries, crackers, bread, cereal, it ALL turns to sugar in the body.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Wed, Jan-16-19 at 14:43.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 14:36

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Diet Doctor has visual guides that could work for someone with limited English:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides

The tri-fold pamphlet is available in 40 languages, but not Tagalog yet. Does she read any other language?:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb#leaflet
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 14:49

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

It's been very well-documented that different groups are more susceptible to metabolic diseases post-colonization and post-modernization/industrialization (diabetes, I would argue also alcoholism as a metabolic disease). That is why some groups have gone hard on re-adopting traditional/ancient diets. And it's the reason why some groups have overwhelming statistics on incidence of diabetes and alcoholism while eating similar diets to other groups. There are differences carried through generations. That's why it's important to have health care that recognizes those different dispositions.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 15:13

BF:

No, I think it's the Hand to Mouth sugar disease..

Last edited by Meme#1 : Wed, Jan-16-19 at 15:54.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 15:31
Registered Member

Thanks, deirdra! Everyone I work with is from the Philippines, the number of diabetics is astonishing, all thin and live on fish, veggies, and fruit.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 15:38
Registered Member

Default https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131226115346.htm

he team, known as the SIGMA (Slim Initiative in Genomic Medicine for the Americas) Type 2 Diabetes Consortium, performed the largest genetic study to date in Mexican and Mexican American populations, discovering a risk gene for type 2 diabetes that had gone undetected in previous efforts. People who carry the higher risk version of the gene are 25 percent more likely to have diabetes than those who do not, and people who inherited copies from both parents are 50 percent more likely to have diabetes. The higher risk form of the gene has been found in up to half of people who have recent Native American ancestry, including Latin Americans. The variant is found in about 20 percent of East Asians and is rare in populations from Europe and Africa.

The elevated frequency of this risk gene in Latin Americans could account for as much as 20 percent of the populations' increased prevalence of type 2 diabetes -- the origins of which are not well understood.