Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 16:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Vinegar: Nature's Metformin?

It's been about three weeks now that I've been drinking a glass of diluted vinegar (2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar to 8-10 ounces of water) with every meal.

I like it!

It is supposed to act like metformin, and I've been very pleased with its effects on appetite and my sense of satiety. My appetite has been messed up for a few years now, and some trouble digesting my food, and this also addresses those issues.

I use Bragg's brand; organic, unfiltered, and with THE MOTHER, which is supposed to have health benefits. This is the string of protein that starts the conversion to vinegar.

Just throwing it out there for anyone who might be interested.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 17:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

So cool, I have used Bragg's organic unfiltered with Mother for years. I would like to get into the habit of daily. That stuff is good for a LOT of things. Glad you like it. It's like swallowing paint thinner to me but I always took a tablespoon straight followed with a glass of water. I'll try the diluting method. Thanks for the reminder.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 20:40

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I have Bragg's ACV around too. I have tried diluting it in some water but it just tastes plain nasty to me, like being tortured, or doing s penance. So I still need to figure out another good way to ingest it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-16, 06:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Amy Berger has a great article about the Virtues of Vinegar, lots of Blood sugar studies.
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2014/1...of-vinegar.html

Dr Hyman's new book recommends it with every meal! ..I'm proud if just remember to take it before dinner. Don't love it, but do 2T in water with stevia because it is "good for me" I recently bought the vinegar from Aldis, rich in color with the mother, looked more like Brag's than the Trader Joe house brand.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-16, 08:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Amy Berger has a great article about the Virtues of Vinegar, lots of Blood sugar studies.
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2014/1...of-vinegar.html

I read that, great article! While I discovered the vinegar concept while reading It's the Wooo, that was the article that made me commit to the program.

I can't say I like it, but Bragg's in a glass of water is like not-so-good wine. I can deal with that, but then, I live with an herbalist who offers me swampy smelling tea when I don't feel well.

"Oh, this one is really swampy."

"It's good for you! Drink it while it's hot!"
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-16, 11:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm going to try this, but I'm dropping this article here. It sounds like you might want to ensure you get more (even more!) potassium and sodium if you're taking in a lot of vinegar. This woman had some serious problems from having about 8.4 oz of vinegar a day. Granted, that's like 16+ Tblspoons, but still...

http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/45180
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 18:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm going to try this, but I'm dropping this article here. It sounds like you might want to ensure you get more (even more!) potassium and sodium if you're taking in a lot of vinegar. This woman had some serious problems from having about 8.4 oz of vinegar a day. Granted, that's like 16+ Tblspoons, but still...

http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/45180

Jiminy, that is over a cup a day! Too much of a good thing, sounds like I will heed the suggestion, though... Your salt articles have convinced me to be generous with my sea salt, and I love my guacamole.

So far, so good.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-16, 07:26

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It's been about three weeks now that I've been drinking a glass of diluted vinegar (2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar to 8-10 ounces of water) with every meal.

I like it!

It is supposed to act like metformin, and I've been very pleased with its effects on appetite and my sense of satiety. My appetite has been messed up for a few years now, and some trouble digesting my food, and this also addresses those issues.

I use Bragg's brand; organic, unfiltered, and with THE MOTHER, which is supposed to have health benefits. This is the string of protein that starts the conversion to vinegar.

Just throwing it out there for anyone who might be interested.

Does it matter what you drink it with? I was having it with diet ginger ale and it was actually good. Now, I have found that with IF, an empty stomach is an acid stomach. I don't know if it's a residual effect of having to take prescription level anti-inflammatory for several weeks back in 2012 or just what but I am finding that carbonated water might possibly not be my friend.

Also, I saw a couple of posts here to the effect of people trying it for blood sugar and it not helping them. Don't really know what thread it was. I have dropped it for now, but if it really does help, I'll go back to getting DH to drink it along with me.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-16, 13:18

BF:

Still at it. No worries so far. Only taking it with meals.

Side note: DH and I like saying THE MOTHER in a Sean Connery voice.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-16, 08:24
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I drink ACV with sparkling water and it tastes quite nice, a bit like diluted cider.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-16, 10:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That's a good idea! I put it in my decaf iced tea yesterday...that it not such a good idea.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 22:18

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I take drops of Iodine (Lugol's) in a glass of icy cold water with a tablespoon of ACV. Strangely, I actually like the taste.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-16, 08:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
I drink ACV with sparkling water and it tastes quite nice, a bit like diluted cider.

Brilliant! Me likey!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 441/359/210 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I know this thread is a year old, but it's a good one.

I have a gallon of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar (w/mother) and after reading this thread and the article Janet linked to, the vinegar is going to stay on the counter and I'm starting this today.

How can we go wrong with these benefits?
  • Digestive Aid
  • Antimicrobial
  • Blood sugar regulation
  • Mood booster
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 16:43

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I have not been good about taking it every day, but lately I add some to about a 1/2 cup of water, add a tsp. of Ceylon cinnamon, a splash of vanilla or pure almond extract, and whirr up in the Magic Bullet. That mixes in the cinnamon well, and makes it almost palatable, though I've still never really learned to like the taste!