Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 19:58
Registered Member

Plan: mine
Stats: ?/?/?
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Running...2 Questions

I have heard that running is the fastest way to lose weight. Do you agree?
Also, should I buy a compression type sports bra or a regular one, I am a 36 D.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 07:53

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%
Wink

HIIT is fastest. High Impact interval training
walk 1 minute, sprint 1 minute, walk 1 minute, Sprint 1 minute.
do that about 16 minutes a day.
http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html
I have lost my Man boobs so I cannot help you with the Bra question

Overall, the evidence suggests that HIIT is the most efficient method for achieving fat loss. However, HIIT carries a greater risk of injury and is physically and psychologically demanding (10), making low- and moderate-intensity, continuous exercise the best choice for individuals that are unmotivated or contraindicated for high-intensity exercise
http://www.wsu.edu/athletics/strength/hiit.htm
Jag
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 08:56

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

It is much more individual. I do not question, that if somebody has the leg/heart/lung for running can lose more fat by srpint/walk interval training than with simple running, but the real problem, if you are (re)starter runners, your risk of injury very high in both cases.

Let me share my own experiences how I lost very fast without interval or real running. Last January I started a "running" program - with 35 lb excess weight. Because of lack of previous running experience during the first month I only could walk (WATP 3 miles video) - nevertheless I lost 8 lbs. Second month I started to jog (1 mile jog 2 mile walk) I lost 7 more lbs. Third month I slowly increased my jog up to 30 min/3 mile - I lost only 5 lbs.
From the fourth month, when I really started to run my weightloss slowed down to 3 lbs/month. (I had the same carb/cal intake during all the time.)

The problem with running: your LEGS need long weeks (usually recommended 8-10 weeks) to build up the strenght to run 30 min constantly. During the same long weeks your body adapts to the running, running with more and more efficiency, burning less and less fat. (It is not only the running. To change exercise routine every 6-8 weeks is recommended to everybody.)

The problem with HIIT the same if you chose the sprint/walk version. BUT you can do HIIT without running, on different cardio machines.

About sport bras - for running I would recommend the compression type sport bra.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 09:08
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriell
your LEGS need long weeks (usually recommended 8-10 weeks) to build up the strenght to run 30 min constantly.

Very true! It took me a long time to get up to my current HIIT level... I'm now sprinting for one minute and walking for one, for a total of 20 minutes. You do need to give your body time to work up to a good intensity level. I started by walking for four and sprinting for one minute (or less) depending on how my body felt.

As for the bra.... Your best bet is to go to a good bra store (that knows how to measure properly) and work with them on what will work best for your body. Compression bras are usually good, just make sure you get the right size! The wrong size bra can do you more harm than good.

Kiks