Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 13:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 152/140/115
BF:
Progress:
Question question from a newbie

I have a question. I am planning to start induction on sunday (after a wedding where I will not be able to stay on induction). Until then I want to try to eat better. My question is will it help if I do low carb and just not eat a lot of fatty meats or cream? I could do veggies and fish and chicken this week. I just want to start ASAP but I know I will blow it at this wedding if I try induction this week. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/135
BF:
Progress:

Here's what I did. I bought the book then read it. While I was reading it I set a date, like you did to start. I ate what I normally did before I started and then the day or two before starting I went out and bought stuff I would need for induction. I made sure that for induction I didn't have any tempting carbs in the house. Just remember the bb is a great support network and if you end up having a rough day, this is a great place to check out.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 16:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi bd,

It certainly wouldn't hurt to start lowering your carb intake now and then go on induction after the wedding.

A question: Why do you not want to eat "a lot of fatty meats and cream."?

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 09:18
Registered Member

Stats: 304/240/180
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default newbie

You don't have to restrict your self to fish and chicken you can have just about any meat you want its not so much the fat you watch its the Carbs and most meats have low grams of carbs. Make sure you drink lots of water, I have a 32 ounce bottle that i fill up 4 times a day. Congratulations are your desire to start this diet its a great diet and I wish you well.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 11:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 152/140/115
BF:
Progress:

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I have skimed DANDR but not read it fully. I usually skip the scientific background because I believe in the diet and pretty much know how it works in basic metabolic terms.

Karen, the reason I didn't want to eat fatty meats and cream was because if I am not doing full on induction (still eating carbs) until sunday I wouldn't be getting good use of the fats because I would be still burning the carbs first and might not get to burning the fats (although I am exercising about 4 times a week). Basically, the only thing that I don't want to do is mess up induction by eating weird before I start.

Another strange thing, I did low carb for 2 weeks and I lost about 4 lbs. I was frustrated (because the first time I did low carb I lost faster than that in the beginning) so this last weekend I ate fast food 2 times and had ice cream. I got up this morning and had lost 5 lbs. How and why did this happen and should I keep the carbs low to keep this loss before I start induction on sunday?

Thanks for all the help and encouragement...I hope I haven't taken up too much time or space. Thanks a lot!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 11:32
Registered Member

Stats: 304/240/180
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default reply back to newbie

I understand that the second time you restart you may not loose as fast but hang in there it will work.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 12:45

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Coffee

I remember when I was planning on going totally low carb I switched to decaf coffee...and did that for a couple of weeks. I was sure I'd never handle the no caffeine and the no sugar together thing!!