Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-10, 08:01

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Treadmill question??? So now I find out I'm doing it wrong???

I have used a treadmill (on and off) to lose weight and get in shape and when I'm really into it I would walk at a 5% incline and do 3.5miles in an hr while watching tv - I would also hang on to the bars on the sides.

Well now after many years of this I read that hanging on is actually wrecking my hard work??? That by holding on I am only working at about 25% and I also need to be doing 4-4.5 miles in an hour.

UGH!!!!!

Now I have to retrain myself on not haning on to the sides - I wonder if by lowering the incline and going slower I will be able to get rid of that bad habit??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-10, 08:03

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Yeah, just go as slow as you need to to get used to it.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-10, 08:34

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

For what it's worth, I've looked at the holding on versus not holding on question quite a bit, and the consensus seems to be that holding on DOES indeed reduce the effectiveness of the workout, but to a degree that doesn't really matter - if I recall correctly it's something like less than 10% difference in calories burned holding on versus not holding on. I have TERRIBLE balance, so if I'm walking on a treadmill I have to hold on or I find myself wandering off either side. Even when I'm running on the treadmill and not holding on, I have to fight my tendency to run off to the left (it has to do with the way my right leg naturally swings inward in my stride). I used to obsess about "cheating myself" by holding on when walking, but when I actually looked into it/researched it and found it had so little difference, I quit caring about it.

One caution, though, I did read that holding on, particularly at some speed, does place an additional strain on your lower back, but if you have a strong enough core it shouldn't bother you. I've actually found holding on increased my strength in my shoulders/arms over time - not as good as a shoulder/arm weight training regimen, but enough to notice.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 08:17

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairballz
For what it's worth, I've looked at the holding on versus not holding on question quite a bit, and the consensus seems to be that holding on DOES indeed reduce the effectiveness of the workout, but to a degree that doesn't really matter - if I recall correctly it's something like less than 10% difference in calories burned holding on versus not holding on. I have TERRIBLE balance, so if I'm walking on a treadmill I have to hold on or I find myself wandering off either side. Even when I'm running on the treadmill and not holding on, I have to fight my tendency to run off to the left (it has to do with the way my right leg naturally swings inward in my stride). I used to obsess about "cheating myself" by holding on when walking, but when I actually looked into it/researched it and found it had so little difference, I quit caring about it.

One caution, though, I did read that holding on, particularly at some speed, does place an additional strain on your lower back, but if you have a strong enough core it shouldn't bother you. I've actually found holding on increased my strength in my shoulders/arms over time - not as good as a shoulder/arm weight training regimen, but enough to notice.

I am really bad with my balance also - I too always wonder to the sides and I know they say don't watch tv but really that is the only way I will get on my treadmill is to watch my tv shows that I don't watch otherwise - kinda gives me motivation. I have been trying to do it without hanging on and I have found it seems harder so my incline is at just 1% instead of the 5.5% before but I am trying to increase my speed. I read somewhere (I need to stop reading) HA HA that you should be doing 4 miles in 1 hr before I would only be doing 3 miles - that is hard also UGH
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-10, 02:44
Registered Member

Plan: very very low carb max 20
Stats: 352/292/230 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I hold on with one hand and swing a 10# dumbbell with the other hand and then switch hands. My balance is also now very good on my treadmill. I think sometimes if I don't hold on I'll fall off.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-10, 05:30

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/275/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

I always feel as if I will fall off and often run into the bar on the side but I'm getting better. I did have to slow down to let go though.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-10, 12:47

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

rappidash, good point. I'm still in the beginning phases of a new runner program, but I had to learn to slow things down, too.