Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 14:35

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default SCD cures celiac

Diagnoses of Celiac disease requires:

"A series of intestinal biopsies would be done: one tissue sample would be taken from the small intestine before gluten was removed from the diet; a second sample would be taken after the patient had been on a "gluten-free" diet. The biopsy samples would have to reflect the changes in the diet."

From what I've read, finding a true 'celiac' is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Lots of people self diagnose, but that doesnt mean they are correct. Few have gone thru the above test and can be labeled a true celiac.

SCD cures celiac!
"During the next few years, Dr Haas treated over 600 cases of coeliac disease with his Specific Carbohydrate Diet™, maintaining his patients on it for at least 12 months, and found that the prognosis of coeliac disease was excellent. There is complete recovery with no relapses, no deaths, no crisis, no pulmonary involvement and no stunting of growth."

taken from >>> Whatever happened to the cure for coeliac disease? http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle....iac_disease.htm

Personally, I'll take the cure!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 14:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I like the SCD diet. It really does seem to be helping getting things back under control after going gluten/casein free and getting worse! I'm not sure I buy the claims that it cures celiac disease. Or lets just say, I'm highly skeptical. Still, it is a great diet and I am hoping it helps me in many ways.

Celiac disease just means that your gluten sensitivity has severely damaged your intestinal villi. Some people never have any GI symptoms from it, some have neurological symptoms or autoimmune diseases or skin conditions. Dr. Fine is using a new test which picks up on gluten sensitivity before it ever gets to the stage where it destroys the villi or leaks antibodies into the blood stream, far earlier than the so called "gold standard" biopsy test. But whether or not you had villi damage, if you're unable to properly digest wheat the treatment is the same as it is for celiacs, lifelong avoidance of the protein that causes the damage.

I'd like to see graduates of the SCD diet who were diagnosed celiacs pass Dr. Fine's test. That would cure my skepticism.

Turkany, I'm on SCD right now. I am also casein intolerant so the milk based yogurt is out for me. However, I'm making yogurt (like) stuff from other things, like coconut milk. You can buy a yogurt maker from Amazon, I think I got mine there. I like the sort that do a quart at a time. You could also improvise using a heating pad or your oven light. The key is to make sure the milk stays at at least 90' and not hotter than... not sure... 115? You don't want to kill the microbes. I'm sure if you look around on the Internet you'll get a lot of ideas for making yogurt.

I am hanging out with the paleo's because they tend to eat SCD-ishly. Their recipe thread had lots of ideas.

The only issue you might find with SCD is that you'll have to do a lot of cooking. People aren't used to that.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Jan-23-06 at 14:58.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 16:04

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Considering that celiac disease is genetic, there is no cure. There is simply relief from the symptoms by following a gluten-free diet, assuming that not too much damage has been done.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 05:27

BF:

No cure? Wow!!!

Dr Haas treated over 600 cases of coeliac disease with his Specific Carbohydrate Diet™...There is complete recovery

You don't have to be cured, you do have a choice!
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 05:45

BF:

Tunkany,

Any type of yogurt maker will do the trick. I got the cheapest- mine is a salton.

I've read those ads for "survive the gut better" probitocs and I bought them myself. All probiotics should survive the acid of the gut; I think thats just an advertising scheme.

You should get a journal!
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 06:28

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Thanks everyone! we got off the subject a little bit here... turned this thread into SCD diet. If there's interest, we could start a new thread...
Going back to the original topic, coconut oil. I have hight hopes for my children. It really seems to help my 7-month-old. And my scalp is not as flaky as it was a few weeks before. I just have to limit the use of CO on my face as it made me break out like I was a teenager again...
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 07:57

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoseyMan
No cure? Wow!!!

Dr Haas treated over 600 cases of coeliac disease with his Specific Carbohydrate Diet™...There is complete recovery

You don't have to be cured, you do have a choice!

Really. So after treatment, these people were able to eat gluten at will and never have symptoms again? That would be pretty impressive.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 17:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/155/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 92%

thanks for this! I have seborrheic dermatitis on my face, in my ears, behind my ears on my eyebrows and in some private locations as well I'm trying the coconut oil - started last night.
I'm also taking lecethin & evening primrose oil.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 18:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc
Really. So after treatment, these people were able to eat gluten at will and never have symptoms again? That would be pretty impressive.

Its a great diet for healing up the gut from damage caused by intolerances, but I don't believe the claims it can cure food intolerances.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 20:47
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

I was hoping you were going to
say that you ate it and the problem
went away. Seriously. I have suffered
since the age of 11 with crusty white stuff
in my scalp and no meds or shampoos no
matter how exotic or expensive have solved
the problem. That is 44 yrs of suffering.
I am not too fond of smearing coconut oil
all over my head either, but I might just try it.

And don't tell me I can't scratch! I been
doin that since I was 11. Unfortunately,
that leaves permanent scars and scabs
on top of my head.

I found semi-permanent relief about 2
years ago by smearing fresh Aloe Vera
juice (direct from the plant) on my head.
It made the scars and the itchy stuff go
away and my (bald) scalp was clean and
clear.

I got rid of the myriad of plants in front
of my house tho and I don't have access
to the real stuff anymore. Good thread tho.
I just wish it wasn't relevant to ME!
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 14:21

Plan: none
Stats: 178/178/140 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress:

Hey Ellen, just wondering if you are still around. I am pulling up this old thread as I was looking for information on scalp problems. I have a serious condition as I see it. The Dr. diagnosed Seborrheic Dermatitis, but it's been a couple of years and it's getting worse lately. I have done a lot of research and decided to drop all the shampoos he prescribed me and stop coloring my hair (he told me it was ok to continue doing so). I think I may have saturated myself with those and the ingredients of shampoos, I may be allergic to them after all. I am just giving this a try to see how it goes, I have nothing to loose, as I am already losing a lot of hair. So I went I got myself some essential oils and natural shampoos to start with, although there are so many articles to go with and so many different opinions on this, I just needed to start somehow. I was looking at your coconut oil suggestion, but was unable to find this here. What kind do I need to look for? And what type of shampoo do you use or recommend using at this point?

I notice that I just have a problem basically on my front top of my head, that is where it is very red and itches and burns. The rest of my scalp seems to be fine although I do have oily scalp all over. I am thinking maybe haircolor did this to me and everything else thereafter has only made it worse including the prescription shampoos that are so harsh.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 16:35

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Red face scalp issues

Yep...seborrheic dermatitis was the diagnosis when I was a small child in the early 60's.......and the treatment prescribed for me was drastic. My first day of summer break after first grade I was taken up a l_o_n_g staircase to a small room, where I had to sit still while my hair was cut and shaved off... ALL of it. Then...every day for weeks...I had to have this stinky ointment on my head, followed by covering my entire head with a stocking cap. I had to go EVERYWHERE looking and smelling like this. It must have been a solid two months later before I was allowed to keep the cap off and start letting my hair grow again. I was too young to understand that I had a real scalp condition...I took it as punishment for scratching my itchy scalp til it bled...I had such an oily scalp..and such itchy flaky bumps......My second grade school picture shows me in what looks like a crewcut (not a bad thing for a male...but I'm FEMALE...). In the long run it never really cured the problem......and it didn't help that whenever my mom caught me scratching my scalp she'd "threaten" me with either applying that stinky stuff...or, once in anger, with having the entire procedure done "all over again".

Fast forward to today......I don't think the treatment is THAT drastic any more. We have so many other procedures...both natural and prescription, I'm sure. I'm 53 yrs old...and I still have scalp outbreaks...quite often exaccerbated by the oil in my scalp and times of stress....BUT....I've discovered over the years that if I keep my hair and scalp clean...using a natural tea tree oil based shampoo and rinsing thoroughly....AND keeping my fingernails trimmed down to a bare minimum (because scratching breaks open sores and aggravates the problem) I can keep this problem under control. The itch often comes and goes...but this way I can't scratch it until it bleeds....I can only rub lightly....which I do a lot when I'm washing my hair...and it gets a chance to heal until the next outbreak. Coconut oil seems too risky...

I thought I would pass on my experience....FWIW
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-10, 07:47

Plan: researching on this forum
Stats: 281/281/160 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you, Ellen

Dear Ellen, my name is Laura and I've just joined the list because of you. (My first post on Introduce Yourself, just this minute, cites you.) Thank you so much for this SIMPLE remedy. After years of mess and disgust, and recently pain, I am feeling relief already.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 10:50

Plan: researching on this forum
Stats: 281/281/160 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

Update: One week in. Coconut oil working on scalp, eyebrows, back of ears, nose surround, in other words, everywhere I have (will be able to say "had" soon <grin>).
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 05:14

Plan: Any
Stats: 311/195/155 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Years and years late, I registered JUST to confirm the powers of lovely, unrefined coconut oil!

I in fact discovered its power over all sorts of skin flakes (the ones on my head--scabbish!--and the ones aside my poor nosey--flakey scales, only good for sauteed fishes) first-hand. I simply have no dandruff, nose-flakes, or any-flakes at ALL when I use my 'oil, and it doesn't take constant use, either.

Bonus: Coconut oil is not only magickally healing for this, but is also an effective anti-septic, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal.
Case In Point: I used unrefined coconut oil on this 12-year-old Athletes' Foot (that Mayo Clinic's super-powerful druggy cream failed to help at-all) I had... and voila. It was gone in, oh, I'd say one or two weeks. Four years later, still nothing--and I did not re-use it as such, since (other than the occasional deep-moisturizing I do with the C.O., but that is just a general luxury o'mine).

It's no joke--I do not work for any coconut grower or producer (lol). I just found this idea researching online, gathered up the nerve to try it, and... have been tearfully grateful ever since!

I recommend a website called coconut-oil-online, or somesuch... their oil tastes magnificent, too (it's African, I think; I believe a Philippine type tasted, someho, burnt, when I tried it. too bad).

Please try this. I even put it on small cuts, to heal them fast and good (juuust the same as antibiotic ointments, sans the petroleum and drugs), and, eating a few tablespoons of it a day... "keeps the mail moving", to put it delicately!

You Won't Be Sorry.
My Word,
"Jaxxy". =)

P. S. (edit-like) ~<3~
Unrefined (IMPORTANT) coconut oil is also fantastic for weight-loss. It is a true friend to the metabolism, and carries such lovely fatty acid chains for our cell-walls, too--my research tells me it is the closest fat to our cell membranes, indeed, and keeps them just the right amount of strong & permeable. If this is so--which my experience appears to back up, well, after years of terrible health which is almost all healed--I can't imagine much of anything more important for a well-running body.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!! !! !