Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 07:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Very LC diets in the Management of Diabetes Revisited

Grant Schofield in the NZ Medical Journal published a review of the use of LC diet for diabetes.

VERY LOW-CARBOHYDRATE DIETS IN THE MANAGEMENT OF DIABETES REVISITED

https://scienceofhumanpotential.fil...-1432-final.pdf

This joins other previous calls for Carb restriction as first treatment:

Dietary carbohydrate restriction as the first approach in diabetes management: Critical review and evidence base. (2014)

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/articl...0332-3/fulltext

Summary:
The 12 points listed by the researchers are backed up by results of clinical studies:
High blood sugar is the most important feature of diabetes control.
Increase in calorie intake and obesity has been driven by increases in carbohydrate intake.
Carbohydrate restriction provides benefits regardless of weight loss.
Carb restriction is the most reliable dietary intervention for weight loss.
Adherence to low carb diets in type 2 diabetes is as strong as other dietary interventions, and is often significantly stronger.
Generally, replacing carbs with protein is beneficial.
Increased total fat and saturated fat intake are not associated with increased heart disease risk.
Triglycerides are controlled by carbohydrate intake more than by lipids (LDL, HDL).
HbA1c is the greatest predictor of microvascular and macrovascular complications in patients with type 2 diabetes.
Lowering carb intake is the most effective method for decreasing triglyceride levels and raising levels of 'good' HDL cholesterol.
Patients with diabetes reduce their dependence on, or doses of, medication when following a low carb diet.
Intensive blood glucose reduction though carb restriction has negligible side effects compared with use of medication for the same effect.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2014...l-91152031.html

Why a Low-Carb Diet Should Be the First Approach in Diabetes Treatment

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/wh...es-treatment-2/ (2015)

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Apr-11-16 at 07:21.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-16, 08:38

In the Scotsman, Edinburgh man REverses T2 Diabetes with Diet.

http://www.scotsman.com/giving-back...ntrol-1-4096508

Quote:
A SCOTTISH man has told how he managed to cure his diabetes by making a few simple lifestyle changes. When Craig Thomson, 37, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, he thought he would be on medication for the rest of his life.

But after some research, he realised it was possible to control his illness through his diet. With a family history of diabetes, and an insatiable thirst, software developer Craig from Edinburgh began to suspect something was up. He said: “I half thought it would be diabetes, after Googling my symptoms. My Dad had type 2 diabetes, so I knew a bit about it. While it was not entirely surprising, it still shocked me. “It impacts everything you do, because you have to think about what you eat, making sure you exercise and stay healthy - it was definitely a significant change.”

When Craig began to look online at sites such as the website diabetes.co.uk, he picked up a lot of advice about the best type of diet to follow. “It was initially difficult because the low carbohydrate, high fat diet goes against things you’ve been told your entire life. I always thought it was a bad idea to have too many eggs in a week because they’ve got so much cholesterol in it. I discovered that for this particular diet, it’s not a bad thing - so initially it was getting over that. “I’ve got a really sweet tooth so it was very difficult to put away all the sweet stuff. But when you start taking away not just sugar, but also other types of carbohydrates, you start to think about what you might have for breakfast - can’t really have cereal. Or lunch - you can’t really have a roll, or a baked potato or pasta salad. “In a way it’s quite restrictive - but as well because you’re not particularly limiting calories just the type of foods, you’re free in that way.

There were several diets which Craig found useful - especially food bloggers who followed paleo and primal diets. It was research such as this which he found most beneficial after his diagnosis. Since changing his diet he is now off all his medication. “Educating myself, so that I knew enough to talk sensibly with health care professionals about what I wanted and how I would manage the disease was probably the biggest help. “I didn’t take anything at face value - I’d go away and do a little bit of research and read the most recent studies. “There are a lot of people who’d like to try and sell you things - sell you a miracle cure or tell you to go on this diet and everything will be okay - but it’s your long term health you’re dealing with, so educating yourself on what’s available and what’s out there is really important.”

Diabetes.co.uk is a community for people living with the illness to connect and discuss with others, getting advice and ideas.

In association with Dr David Cavan, they’re releasing a book titled Reverse Your Diabetes Diet: Take control of type 2 diabetes with 60 easy-to-prepare recipes, which is aimed to help type 2 diabetics control their illness without the need for medication. Dr Cavan said: “The aim of this book is not to prescribe a particular diet, nor is it to suggest a set number of calories or carbohydrates that you should eat each day. “Rather, the aim has been to present you with recipe ideas that enable you to try out meals with different amounts of carbohydrates so that you can learn to identify the carbohydrate intake (for each meal or per day) that best enables you to keep control of your diabetes, while enabling you to continue to enjoy the foods you like to eat.” For diabetes support and free online patient education please visit the UK’s largest and fastest growing diabetes community
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-11-16, 21:32

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Thanks for posting links to these journal articles.

So every study on the pros and cons of drinking coffee and eating chocolate make it on every morning and evening news show.

But no one is going to say "if you are diabetic, you need to stop eating carbs," or "stop eating carbs if you want to prevent diabetes," or "diabetes is not an inevitable, progressive, disease." Because heaven forbid that we take all that money out of the hands of the medical and pharmaceutical industries spending millions of dollars advertising on those shows.

It's sickening (literally) what is happening right now.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-12-16, 04:09

Marika Sboros wrote an article on this topic a few days ago...based on a UK diabetes blog post. And quoting Prof Schofield's paper.

Low Carb Works for Diabetes, Why Don't More Doctors Advise It?

http://foodmed.net/2016/05/11/low-c...e-lchf-banting/
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-12-16, 06:25

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good article by Sboros and this message needs to get out to health professionals who guide their patients. Even if physicians were more rigorously trained on nutrition during their medical studies, that training would have been wrong over the past 40+ years. The next time I visit my GP, I have a copy of "The Obesity Code" that I plan to give him.