Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 06:56

Plan: Zone
Stats: 235/190/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Question Does anyone know of an article that deals with

I am wondering if there has been much research dealing with ethnicity and carbohydrate intolerance. In other words, perhaps some ethnic groups have more sensitivity than others to carbs. We know that there is a high rate of diabetes and addiction in the Native American population; perhaps due to the blunted and sudden change in their diet only a little over a hundred years ago. But what I am wondering is if in those cultures/ethnic groups that have been eating grains for thousands of years, are their any groups who have less tolerance than others?
I have heard of people who have tried to eat a high protein diet and had adverse reactions. I am of western European descent, and have had nothing but postive reactions from the onset. Could this be about the gene pool differences? In all this debate, I can't help but wonder if researchers are looking for the ONE answer to a very complex question, given the variety within the human species. If anyone knows of an article that addresses this question, I would love to read it. Thanks!
k
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 07:31

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Don't know of any specific articles, but I can say that the Native side of my family is almost universely affected by carb addiction and all the syndrome x symptoms. The European side has none.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 22:25

BF:

Thanks for that response. I think it is interesting that only the Native side of your family has this problem. I am Irish/English/Scottish decent and I think we are notorious for obesity. Everyone on both sides of my family is obese. Lots of bread and potatoes served up with dinners all my life! Alcoholism too.

k
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 16:24

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

There are no studies to my knowledge dealing with the effect of carbohydrates on race/ethnicity, however, there are studies dealing with the chance of getting insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes and obesity according to ethnicity. And since a high-carbohydrate diet is an underlying cause of these diseases, then I would say that the races more prone to these are more highly intolerant of carbohydrates.

Asian women are more prone to gestational diabetes than Caucasian women. My personal belief is that this is due to a history of high rice (carb) consumption. Asian Indians get more type 2 diabetes. They also have a history of eating a lot of rice.

Arch Fam Med 1998 Jan-Feb;7(1):53-6

Hyperinsulinemia in hypertension: associations with race, abdominal obesity, and hyperlipidemia.
Spangler JG, Bell RA, Summerson JH, Konen JC.

Department of Family and Community Medicine, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC 27157, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To determine the relative contributions of race, sex, abdominal obesity, and hyperlipidemia to the development of hyperinsulinemia among patients with hypertension. DESIGN: Cross-sectional survey. SETTING: A large family practice ambulatory care unit in Winston-Salem, NC. PATIENTS: One hundred and forty adult patients with essential hypertension (systolic blood pressure > or = 160 mm Hg or diastolic blood pressure at or above 90 mm Hg on 2 or more occasions) or who were receiving antihypertensive treatment. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Fasting insulin, lipid, and glucose levels; glycosylated hemoglobin; waist-hip ratio; and resting blood pressure. METHODS: Among 4 patient subgroups (hypertension alone; hypertension and abdominal obesity; hypertension and hyperlipidemia; and hypertension, abdominal obesity, and hyperlipidemia) logistic regression analysis was used to determine correlates of elevated fasting insulin levels. RESULTS: Controlling for age and blood pressure, black males had the highest fasting insulin levels (135 +/- 70 pmol/L [18.8 +/- 9.6 microU/mL] and 265 pmol/L [37.0 +/- 0.0 microU/mL] [mean +/- SD] for obese and nonobese black males, respectively); nonobese white males had the lowest fasting insulin levels (23 +/- 22 pmol/L [3.2 +/- 3.0 microU/mL]). Multivariate logistic regression indicated that the addition of abdominal obesity or hyperlipidemia to pure hypertension more than doubled the risk of hyperinsulinemia (adjusted odds ratio, 2.69; 95% confidence interval, 1.04-6.89; and adjusted odds ratio, 2.62; 95% confidence interval, 0.37-8.6, respectively). The combination of abdominal obesity and hyperlipidemia exerted additive effects among patients with hypertension for elevated insulin levels (adjusted odds ratio, 5.1; 95% CI, 1.59-16.4). CONCLUSIONS: Race, sex, abdominal obesity, and hyperlipidemia interact to produce increases in fasting insulin levels. This knowledge may help physicians prevent sequelae from hyperinsulinemia syndrome among their patients with hypertension.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 2001 May;41(2):182-6

Effects of ethnicity on glucose tolerance, insulin resistance and beta cell function in 223 women with an abnormal glucose challenge test during pregnancy.

Gunton JE, Hitchman R, McElduff A.

Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.

This study was conducted to investigate body-mass-index (BMI), insulin resistance and beta cell function in a group of pregnant women. Two hundred and twenty-three consecutive women with an abnormal 50 g glucose challenge test in the third trimester were studied. All underwent oral glucose tolerance testing; 97 had a 100 g test and 126 a 75 g test. Fasting insulin was measured. Insulin resistance and beta cell function were calculated using the homeostasis model. Among the 136 Caucasian, 60 Asian, 11 Indian and 16 Arabic women studied, there were no age differences. Arabic women had higher parity (p < 0.05). Asian women had lower BMI than Caucasian (p < 0.001), Indian (p < 0.01), and Arabic women (p < 0.01). Women with gestational diabetes had higher insulin resistance than women with normal glucose tolerance (2.9+/-4.0 vs. 2.3 +/- 2.5 p = 0.025). Women with gestational diabetes tended to have lower beta cell function 199 +/- 203 vs. 247 +/-380 p = 0.08). Asian women had higher glucose levels than Caucasian women after 50 g challenge (8.9 +/- 2.1 mmol/1 vs. 8.6 +/- 1.6; p = 0.034). Asian women were more likely to have gestational diabetes than Caucasian women (31.7% vs. 14%; p = 0.02). Fasting glucose and insulin were comparable in Asian and Caucasian women. Mean insulin resistance and beta cell function in Asian and Caucasian women were not significantly different. We concluded that Asian women had lower BMI than Caucasian women. Women with gestational diabetes were more insulin resistant. Insulin resistance and beta cell function in Asian and Caucasian women are similar. Gestational diabetes in Asian women is of similar aetiology to that seen in Caucasian women, but occurs at a lower BMI.

----------------------------------------

Diabetes Care 2002 Aug;25(8):1351-7

Heterogeneity in the Relationship Between Ethnicity, BMI, and Fasting Insulin.
Palaniappan LP, Carnethon MR, Fortmann SP.

Stanford Center for Research in Disease Prevention, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California.

OBJECTIVE-To determine whether the association of BMI and fasting insulin is modified by ethnicity. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS-Non-Hispanic black (black), non-Hispanic white (white), and Mexican-American men and women aged 20-80 years from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (1988-1994) were included in this study. Linear regression models with an interaction term were used to test whether ethnicity modified the association between BMI and fasting insulin. RESULTS-Fasting insulin was 19, 26, 20, and 19% higher in black women than white women with BMI levels of <22, 22-24, 25-27, and 28-30 kg/m(2), respectively. These differences between black and white women converged at BMI levels >30 kg/m(2). Mexican-American women had fasting insulin levels that were 17, 22, 20, and 16% higher than those of white women at BMI levels of 25-27, 28-30, 31-33, and >34 kg/m(2), respectively, but were not different in individuals with BMI levels <25 kg/m(2). Adjusting for established risk factors did not attenuate these associations in women. Differences in fasting insulin among men were not as apparent. CONCLUSIONS-These findings suggest that the effect of obesity on insulin sensitivity is different for Americans in ethnic minorities. In black subjects, fasting insulin is higher at lean weight when compared with white and Mexican-American subjects. In Mexican-American subjects, fasting insulin is higher in overweight individuals when compared with white and black subjects. These findings are more pronounced in women than in men. This result reinforces the importance of designing prevention programs that are tailored to meet the needs of specific populations. Investigation of possible explanations for these differences seems warranted.

-----------------------------------------------

Am J Clin Nutr 1985 Apr;41(4):776-83

The relationship of diabetes with race, sex, and obesity.

Bonham GS, Brock DB.

Noninsulin-dependent diabetes typically has its onset in the adult years, and appears to have both genetic and non-genetic factors in its etiology. Data from the 1976 National Health Interview Survey were used to study the independent and interactive relationship of race, sex, obesity, and age with the reported prevalence of noninsulin-dependent diabetes. The percent of the population reported with this type of diabetes ranged from about 0.5 among Black and Caucasian (white) people of both sexes 20-44 years of age in the least obese group to 20.2 percent among black males 65 years and over in the most obese group. Black people were slightly more likely to report diabetes than white people , especially at the older ages and in the more obese groups. Diabetes generally increased more rapidly with obesity among women than among men, but there was no other consistent sex difference. Diabetes was reported more frequently with increasing levels of obesity, especially at the older age.

--------------------------------------

Am J Epidemiol 1992 May 1;135(9):965-73

Race/ethnicity and other risk factors for gestational diabetes .

Berkowitz GS, Lapinski RH, Wein R, Lee D.

Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Science, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY.

Although gestational diabetes is estimated to complicate between 1% and 5% of pregnancies, there are only limited data on the role of race/ethnicity as well as other risk factors in the development of this disorder. Epidemiologic characteristics of gestational diabetes were assessed in an ethnically diverse cohort of 10,187 women who had undergone standardized screening for glucose intolerance and who delivered a singleton infant at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City between January 1987 and December 1989. The overall prevalence of gestational diabetes was 3.2%. Multiple logistic regression analysis showed excess risks for Oriental women, Hispanics born in Puerto Rico or elsewhere outside the United States, women from the Indian subcontinent and the Middle East, older mothers, heavier women, those with a positive family history of diabetes, women with a history of infertility, and those who delivered on the clinic service. These data suggest that, after controlling for traditional risk factors (maternal age, prepregnancy weight, and a family history of diabetes), Orientals, first generation Hispanics, women from the Indian subcontinent and the Middle East, those with a history of infertility, and low socioeconomic status women are at an increased risk for gestational diabetes.

-----------------------------

J Diabetes Complications 2001 Nov-Dec;15(6):320-7

Ethnicity and type 2 diabetes: focus on Asian Indians.
Abate N, Chandalia M.

Department of Internal Medicine, Center for Human Nutrition, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX, USA. nicola.abate~swmed.edu

Though the overall prevalence of type 2 diabetes is increasing in US and in all other westernized countries, significant differences are noted among different ethnic groups. The reasons for ethnic differences in the risk of type 2 diabetes are not entirely understood. For example, Asian Indians (people from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh) have remarkably high prevalence of type 2 diabetes compared to Caucasians. However, the incidence of obesity, an important risk factor in the development of type 2 diabetes, is significantly lower in Asian Indians compared to Caucasians. Though westernization of lifestyle with dietary changes and lack of exercise may play a role in increased prevalence of type 2 diabetes in migrant Asian Indians, various epidemiological studies have shown that these factors alone are not sufficient to explain this trend. One important factor contributing to increased type 2 diabetes in Asian Indians is excessive insulin resistance compared to Caucasians . This difference in the degree of insulin resistance may be explained by either an environmental or a genetic factor or by combination of both. The understanding of the etiology and mechanisms causing increased insulin resistance in Asian Indians will provide clues to more effective prevention and treatment of diabetes in this ethnic group. Furthermore, the information may help in understanding the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes in other ethnic groups and improve methods of treatment and prevention in all ethnic groups. Since the ethnic mix of the US population is changing rapidly and it is estimated that by the year 2020, over 50% of US population will include non-Caucasian ethnicity, the identification of the mechanism involved in the excessive development of type 2 diabetes in non-Caucasians becomes important. In this review, possible etiology of excessive insulin resistance and role of free fatty acids (FFA) in insulin resistance in Asian Indians is discussed. Finally, the role of targeting insulin resistance in prevention and treatment of diabetes is discussed.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 20:21

BF:
Default WOW!

Voyager,
Thank you so much for your great research! You continually amaze me with your abilities.
One more question.....any articles on blood type and diet? ie, some blood types are more successful on high protein plans than others.
Thanks again.
k
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 15:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 249/245/200
BF:?
Progress: 8%

Voyajer- You certainly have done your homework! I have been on Atkins for 7 weeks now and have lost only 3-4 lbs. I have followed it religiously and my only deviations were white wine at 3 social functions during the 7 weeks. I exercise 4x/week as well. Several friends have told me that since my blood type is "A", Atkins won't work. I noticed that Kathrine 77 had a similar question. Any thoughts?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 16:43

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

JLee, I am type A and have lost 32 pounds in 7 1/2 months on TSP. There are definitely other factors at work than your blood type.

I have never been healthier or happier than on this low-carb regimen.

Keep working at it.

Also, check your measurements. There have been a number of posts recently about replacing fat with muscle. That could be what's going on with you. I know I had a fair amount of that going on when I first started. It was like my body was rebuilding what it had lost through those years of eating high-carb.

;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Sun, Sep-22-02 at 22:13.