Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:31
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

kvonM, LOVE the color. I am a. acrylic, short length, slightly rounded nail with dark color polish all the way! it might not be in at the moment, but I cant stand it any other way! And I like when it matches the toes too!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:38

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

My turn, my turn with a question!

Great thread Pennink! Thank you.

Anyway - my question is this .. I have a suit I absolutely LOVE. But the jacket was a bit less than 1/2 size too big when I bought it. As I shrink the jacket, of course, gets bigger. Tailoring is expensive. I don't mind tailoring it once - but twice is a bit much. Actually I guess this will be two questions.

1) How many sizes down can something be tailored before you have to buy new and smaller?

2) Would it work to use a double sided stylish clip in the back of the suit jacket to kinda cinch it in at the waist? I guess it'd be like those tops/dresses that tie in the back.

Thanks!
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:48

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink

Sandy: Emerald green silk is the BEST with red hair. I used to be a redhead and it was my one blouse that really garnered the compliments. Try one of the new high-waisted skirts, in a textured or lovely fabric with a teeny belt on the skirt. Very 40s and classic. Suits with the blouse work well, too as they often look too severe and the green will pop. Slouchy, pleated high-waisted pants would look great with these too.

Thanks very much, but which colour skirt/pants should I use with an emerald green silk blouse- that's what I want to know!! I just can't think of a colour that would go with it, do you think a rich shade of blue may go with it.... I am thinking of something that will clash but yet fits so perfectly, do you know what I mean?
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:57

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd

Anyway - my question is this .. I have a suit I absolutely LOVE. But the jacket was a bit less than 1/2 size too big when I bought it. As I shrink the jacket, of course, gets bigger. Tailoring is expensive. I don't mind tailoring it once - but twice is a bit much. Actually I guess this will be two questions.

1) How many sizes down can something be tailored before you have to buy new and smaller?

2) Would it work to use a double sided stylish clip in the back of the suit jacket to kinda cinch it in at the waist? I guess it'd be like those tops/dresses that tie in the back.

Thanks!

Hi!
1) it totally depends on the cut of the jacket (lining, etc) and the talent of the tailor. A tailor could, stitch rip all the seams lay it out and recut it about 4 sizes down fairly easily. It might be quite expensive and better just to buy a new one. But if you love it sooooo much, and the fabric is amazing, take it to a man's suit maker... (picture a little guy with a tape measure around his neck, chalk stains on his vest, and wire-rimmed glasses on his balding pate) and see what he can do.

2) I'd definitely try this. Try it with a safety pin first to see that it doesn't gape too weird at your hips or tummy. You could even make a belt thing with a good piece of suede in a matching colour and an awesome clip at each end. Then take matching clips and fabric and integrate it somewhere else on the blazer to have it all 'go'.

good luck! Man, I need to dig out my sewing machine now. Feeling inspired.

Tomorrow I'm on TV in Canada. (not talking anything remotely fashion oriented, but about parenting for one of our other magazines). I've been fretting about what to wear...

I've decided on: black trousers, black sleeveless turtleneck, black pointy toed heels and a pastel pink, finger tip jacket (anne klein) with a glass bead necklace (has a huge piece of cut glass pendant and the chain is all cut glass, kind of pinky glass, so it should look ok without detracting)

What do you guys think?
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyDown
Thanks very much, but which colour skirt/pants should I use with an emerald green silk blouse- that's what I want to know!! I just can't think of a colour that would go with it, do you think a rich shade of blue may go with it.... I am thinking of something that will clash but yet fits so perfectly, do you know what I mean?

Oh, totally dark chestnut brown or black. rich rich rich.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 14:01

BF:

Quote:
Oh, totally dark chestnut brown or black. rich rich rich.

never thought of chestnut thanks
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 14:01
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

Quote:
I've decided on: black trousers, black sleeveless turtleneck, black pointy toed heels and a pastel pink, finger tip jacket (anne klein) with a glass bead necklace (has a huge piece of cut glass pendant and the chain is all cut glass, kind of pinky glass, so it should look ok without detracting)
Sounds very pretty to me!
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslieam
Sounds very pretty to me!

Phew!

I really didn't want to buy new. The jacket is one I've had for years and can finally get into!!!! Its a 16 and I've come from a 26, so that's big for me.
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 14:33

BF:

Penni well done for your new smaller size, and I agree that your choice is great simplicity and sophistication all in one.
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 14:49

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble

Quote:
Tomorrow I'm on TV in Canada. (not talking anything remotely fashion oriented, but about parenting for one of our other magazines). I've been fretting about what to wear...

What do you guys think?

honestly? i think the outfit sounds perfectly polished and professional, but i'd run it past the wardrobe people first.

reason being, if you're on a stage and with other people (especially the host), the LAST thing you want to do is clash with them. a pink jacket that looks amazing on you in daylight may look like someone splashed you with pepto-bismol under the stage lighting. so what i would do is stick with the black basics and let them hand you a jacket or sweater or something (or better yet, bring alternatives with you) that work with the overall coloring of the stage.

in this case you're not just dressing you, you're part of a bigger picture. and if they find something that's way better than anything you've got, you might just be able to sweet-talk them into letting you keep it .
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 14:58

Never thought of clashing... too late now, the morning show people are gone. That's such a good thing to have thought of. I know the background is olive green so I thought of that. And pink makes me look younger, thought of that...

let's hope the host who's interviewing me isn't wearing orange!
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 17:47
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd

Hate to disagree with Penn - and she may be right if you go to a very expensive tailor - but my seamstress says two things. 1. It must fit in the shoulders otherwise you might as well just start with something new. 2. If it fits in the shoulders, it can be taken down two sizes maximum.

What Pennink is talking about is rebuilding the whole garment from scratch and that is just plain difficult and very expensive.

I am a minister and my alb is who knows what size - huge. We have actually brought it down about 3 sizes but it is not meant to be a good fit since it is cinched with a rope so that works. Now, I will have to buy a new one. Although I have contemplated taking it apart and starting over again, but a new alb in my new size only costs about $150 and will last me the rest of my life.
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 17:56

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Thanks for the advice Pennink! Now I have to go back and read everything again. There's a lot here to absorb. You rock!
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcharlie
Hate to disagree with Penn - and she may be right if you go to a very expensive tailor - but my seamstress says two things. 1. It must fit in the shoulders otherwise you might as well just start with something new. 2. If it fits in the shoulders, it can be taken down two sizes maximum.

What Pennink is talking about is rebuilding the whole garment from scratch and that is just plain difficult and very expensive.

I am a minister and my alb is who knows what size - huge. We have actually brought it down about 3 sizes but it is not meant to be a good fit since it is cinched with a rope so that works. Now, I will have to buy a new one. Although I have contemplated taking it apart and starting over again, but a new alb in my new size only costs about $150 and will last me the rest of my life.

It is expensive because they basically recut the jacket (my way). Years ago they did this to a leather jacket of mine cost me about 200 bucks, but the coat was 700, so I figured it was worth it.
If you don't open up all the seams, Rev's right, 2 sizes down. Then you could end up with droopy shoulders.

I used to sew a lot, and patterns usually come now with 3 sizes on one pattern... more than that, and it's a total recut.

A lot of seamstresses are kind of like me... always sewed, learned from their mom's... I just find tailors better for suits, seamstresses for dresses... imo, though.
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 07:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185.8/185.8/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Pennink, I just ordered a turtleneck dress that was on sale at Peruvian Connection: http://www.peruvianconnection.com/p...++++++++++++.do

Is this horribly out of style? Should I send it back? It fits pretty well. I am large busted, though, and I think I remember a rule about not wearing t-necks ...