Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 16:10

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Hi guys, I only have a sec, I'll answer the questions later tonight. It's not really a promotion, it's kind of a new responsibility. They recognize at work that I 'get' fashion. My last column was about how to fit a bra, and this one will be how to properly shop for the right clothes. I'll link to both when they're posted, I can't put the stuff here.

Really really really emotional day today. I've decided to sell my daughter's show horse. She wasn't really 'in' to the shows as much and it's costing me so much per month, I couldn't even print it here. I would be better off focusing on her university savings as that's coming up in a few years (fast).

If she's not really thrilled any more... sigh. So hard, I'm TOTALLY in love with the horse. I adore her.

very sad day.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 17:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 214/185/114 Female 5 feet
BF:53/48/20
Progress: 29%

(((((pen...))))) I've read, in other threads, how MUCH you LOVE your horses... I'm proud of you for making the decision you've come to, but WOW, I ache for YOUR ache!

It's been a sad day here as well... a funeral, and after watching MIL learn to be a widow in the last eight months, I ache for the new-this-week-widow, dear friend of mine...

Sigh...

Sherry
  #168   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 17:23

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

excellent thread -
condolences on the horse decision pennick - that's a tough one.

now -- what on earth do I do with my hair - it has been long and straight (like don't sit on it long) for years and years - and coupled with that is no clue/inclination to "do" anything with hair to "be ready" -- but I need to cut it and be more age-appropriate (later 40s) - I don't even know where to look for ideas? Are there hair style sites? I don't even know what a "reverse flip" or "reverse bob" are.

How do you know what would look good on you - my face is changing as I lose weight - but I am tired of hiding behind long hair - what about color or highlights or whatever they do now?
  #169   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSara6
I have a question about the shoes!!!

I have terrible bunions so I try to wear shoes that don't hurt, or take them off asap. Since I have 6 kids and can't afford Jimmy Choos, how high do I have to go price-wise to get comfortable heels? I have a pair of Liz Claiborne's that I totally splurged on last year---paid about $40 on clearance---and they actually feel pretty good for a longer time time than usual. What do you recommend?

Hi! My sister has bunions and found that a wider, sling back with a pointy toe (but modest heel, 2 inches) were better for her. She could adjust the strap and make them comfortable. She got hers at Payless!

Remember that round toes are in, too!
  #170   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope
I am looking into a nice shirt and pants but white is a hard color to wear for me, it could be better to get a shirt that would elongate me as near as the color of the pants as possible, it is hard to be a short apple Spring.

something with a vertical stripe, very fine, or even textured stripe would look nice. White needs great makeup, and a fabulous piece of jewellery for some people. consider navy too! maybe with a very small peridot echoed with a lovely string of medium-sized round beads!
  #171   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS
excellent thread -
condolences on the horse decision pennick - that's a tough one.

now -- what on earth do I do with my hair - it has been long and straight (like don't sit on it long) for years and years - and coupled with that is no clue/inclination to "do" anything with hair to "be ready" -- but I need to cut it and be more age-appropriate (later 40s) - I don't even know where to look for ideas? Are there hair style sites? I don't even know what a "reverse flip" or "reverse bob" are.

How do you know what would look good on you - my face is changing as I lose weight - but I am tired of hiding behind long hair - what about color or highlights or whatever they do now?

I'm not a hair dresser, and I know there are rules (can even find them online) about what haircuts suit which face shapes.
A reverse bob is like a page boy (remember them?) and then you blow dry with a round brush to flip out the bottom. A great look if your hair is straight and pretty easy to do. I had a bob for a while and just used my flat iron to smooth it each morning. Really easy.

It's going to be traumatic cutting your hair. donate it to Cancer wigs, okay?
Take a look at hairstyles on line. Decide what is important to you, do you want to put it in a pony tail or bun? do you have time to fuss?
Long hair really can date us, as we age it's not as bouncy and can draw our faces down (not a good thing as gravity is already doing that)

Flatirons
I want to say a word about flat irons. Spend the money on a really really good ceramic iron from your hairdresser or hairdresser supply. I spent about 150 Canadian and would have saved myself a ton of money over the years (and frustration) if I'd have just popped for the good one. They really really work sooooooooooooo much better! The 25 dollar ones are garbage.
  #172   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 22:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 214/185/114 Female 5 feet
BF:53/48/20
Progress: 29%

A few years ago, maybe six(?), I visited a site where you could load a picture of yourself, and then "try" hairstyles on online... couldn't find it tonight, but there I'm sure it would still be out there.

Sherry
  #173   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 03:31

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Penni, I bought a GHD flat iron (which is supposed to be top of the line here) about 3-4 years ago, and I have bought a T3 hair dryer a few months ago, the flat irons really do take its toll on the hair, after using for a year or so, my hair was started to break and never seemed to grow longer (cuz its breakin off at the end)... I have been off the flat iron for a almost 7 months now and my hair condition is so much better and growing nicely now... I don't advice anyone to use a flat irons especially on daily basis. If the hair is too uncontrolled IMO you should try Yuko system thermal reconditioning, which can result in getting the hair either poker straight or naturally wavey depends on the look you want.. you don't need to do anything else with it, just wash and go.
  #174   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 10:14
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Speaking of hair smoothing - awhile back, my hairdresser introduced me to this new shampoo and conditioner, called "Tigi S Factor". It's ridiculously expensive, so I don't buy it often, and I've been able to find it online for less....(about half what the salons and stores charge for it).

But - it's the very best 'smoothing' shampoo and conditioner I've ever used. Incredible stuff. That said, it only seems to work well for me in drier climates - such as in Colorado. When I went to Vancouver to visit my family, I found the S Factor was 'too heavy' so it won't necessarily work well for everyone.

If you live in a dry climate and want to 'smooth' your hair without needing a flat iron - try some Tigi S Factor shampoo and conditioner sometime - amazing stuff!
  #175   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyDown
Penni, I bought a GHD flat iron (which is supposed to be top of the line here) about 3-4 years ago, and I have bought a T3 hair dryer a few months ago, the flat irons really do take its toll on the hair, after using for a year or so, my hair was started to break and never seemed to grow longer (cuz its breakin off at the end)... I have been off the flat iron for a almost 7 months now and my hair condition is so much better and growing nicely now... I don't advice anyone to use a flat irons especially on daily basis. If the hair is too uncontrolled IMO you should try Yuko system thermal reconditioning, which can result in getting the hair either poker straight or naturally wavey depends on the look you want.. you don't need to do anything else with it, just wash and go.

Ah, you're not using the protective prespray! It's amazing! With good ceramic heads and the heat protective product (different ones, must get them at hairdressers or supply, not just off the rack as that stuff has a lot of alcohol in it)
I won't use a blow dryer very often. They can take their toll.
  #176   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Speaking of hair smoothing - awhile back, my hairdresser introduced me to this new shampoo and conditioner, called "Tigi S Factor". It's ridiculously expensive, so I don't buy it often, and I've been able to find it online for less....(about half what the salons and stores charge for it).

But - it's the very best 'smoothing' shampoo and conditioner I've ever used. Incredible stuff. That said, it only seems to work well for me in drier climates - such as in Colorado. When I went to Vancouver to visit my family, I found the S Factor was 'too heavy' so it won't necessarily work well for everyone.

If you live in a dry climate and want to 'smooth' your hair without needing a flat iron - try some Tigi S Factor shampoo and conditioner sometime - amazing stuff!

It is awesome. I decided my hair is worth the high-end products. half the stuff in the grocery aisles is like washing your hair with dish soap. I also worked at leaving my hair at least three days between washings.

I lost my hair pretty much a few years ago after losing 133 pounds in 10 months, it came back to be soooo thick! Now I'm really protecting it as I lose again.

conditioner, conditioner, conditioner
  #177   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 10:44

BF:

I did use the protective products Penni – perhaps my hair did not take to it well, mind you am also not the only one who has suffered. Anyway in emergencies yes they can be a life saver, however I wouldn't recommend daily usage.
  #178   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyDown
I did use the protective products Penni – perhaps my hair did not take to it well, mind you am also not the only one who has suffered. Anyway in emergencies yes they can be a life saver, however I wouldn't recommend daily usage.

must be the difference in hair... gotta be. What a bummer. I use a flatiron, hot rollers, at least every day. And wax, and these shine products, and Luminance, and... mousse... and... Sexxy hairspray...

omg, I'm a diva.
  #179   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 03:56

BF:

Penni have one more fashion question, hope you don't mind

Its re Shooooooooes... OK its re Boots really, are high boots in or out this year? what styles, I hate the uncomfortable high heel (to me the whole point of wearing boots is the comfort) but they still need to look nice... what do you think of the horse riding like boots ?

Also was always under the impression that boots are No No to wear with professional clothes i.e. suits etc (I usually wear a suit or sleeveless dress with a jacket on top at work) is this still the case, I can't get myself to wear boots in the office, it just doesn't look right, but not sure if this is because I don't have the right boots/clothes combo.

When wearing boots with casual semi-casual clothes, I wear them with long skirts or jeans, last year many ladies wore boots with slim fitting jeans so they tucked their jeans in the boots, I didn't think that was a classy look for me(perhaps good for teenagers but not for me )

Lastly: brown leather or black leather boots, matt or suede? (think the glossy ones are too much )

Thanks v much in advance
  #180   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 06:29

I've seen boots in every shape and size this year. The biggest trend is mile-high boots... ya, prostitute boots. In mushroom leather, soft and supple... all colours in this year.

With lovely a-line tweed skirts and a shorty jacket (think olive green/rust with chocolate boots).

boots with jeans, underneath not tucked in as much, but you'll still see girls tucking.

It's up to your office. I'd be definitely able to wear them to mine, but they'd have to be tall heels and the skirt would need to be a least 4 inches longer than wear the boot starts or I think it looks trampy.

English riding boots (with a flat heel) might... might look ok with the tweed that's everywhere now (and houndstooth pattern --which looks great with yellow btw instead of the expected red). I'm not a fan though, they can look clunky.

One thing in shoes is contrast! no more matchypoo!!!! (yellow heels are IN)