Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 08:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%
Default The Best Advice......

Those of us in the Triple Digits Club have a long way to go and it can be hard to stay motivated over the long haul. We face some big obstacles (no pun intended). We have all heard a lot of advice and obviously some of it sunk in cause we are still working it!

What is the BEST advice or tip you ever got about staying on this WOL? Did someone every say something to you that really stayed with you??

For me, the basic 12-step concept has really been helpful. ONE DAY AT A TIME! You cannot dwell on yesterday and we don't know about tomorrow...........but today, I can make this my best low-carb day! Today I can exercise even if I didn't yesterday and might not tomorrow. Today I can make the best food choices. Today I choose to take care of myself.

I have to lose 126 pounds. The only way I can handle that thought is to concentrate on today. I think of it in ten pound increments. I can deal with that. Any other thoughts? Cindi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 08:41

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I think for me it was Karen saying:

Low carb dieting isn't ment to make you stress, it's ment to make you healthy.

After that the light went on. Don't focus so much on the scale, but focus more on life and getting myself healthy.

Thanks Karen.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 08:59

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile Advice...

You know, I think I'd have to point to two bits of advice that stuck with me...

...the first came more in the form of a warning and picture of the future from my doctor, whom I trust. Though he offered to help me through both the physcial and financial hurdles of surgery for weight reduction, the picture he painted for me was scary as hell. I am not going to be that man...

The second would have to be a rolled-up version of the things I learned here in this forum in my first few months. Specifically that this is not a diet, there is no end date. It is a new WOE. This picture of my future I can definately embrace and call my own.

Donald
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

You know, I never was a fad dieter. I always chose the medically accepted ways: diabetic diet, low-fat, etc. But, I have been dieting since I was five years old and my mother decided I needed to lose weight. I finally just gave up. I "realized" that my weight was not under my control and never would be, and that I was really dieting for health maintenance. (Well, THAT was a big lie, but I didn't know it at the time.)

There came a point where I seriously considered surgery. But, when I spoke with a friend who had done it, twice, she told me of all the health problems involved and all the risks and then told me that it STILL came down to controlling what you eat - only by being FORCED into portion control. And she told me that some foods would be forever banned. Well, what's the point of that??? If you've got the willpower to stay on a diet at all, WHY kill yourself to do it?

But, as a teen, Atkins was considered just another fad diet - ergo I never took it seriously until I MET someone who had achieved success with it. Even then, after more than ten years of low-fat dieting, the concept of eating mayonnaise horrified me. I'm not kidding. I gagged the first time I tried.

However, when the doctor tells you that you have two years or less to live if you continue your current lifestyle AND YOU'RE ALREADY DIETING LOW-FAT FOR OVER TEN YEARS AND DOING EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO LOSE WEIGHT, there comes a time to try something radical. Atkins was my radical last attempt before surgery. Thank all the powers that be that it works.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 11:58

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: The Best Advice......

Quote:
Originally posted by orchidday
Did someone every say something to you that really stayed with you??
Two things come to mind:

"Play the tape to the end (dummy)"

I'm parapharsing and I added the 'dummy' but that was the gist of it. Think about what happens next; what are the consequences of doing this or not doing this. Can you live with them? ( Thanks, Karen )

I emoved the world "cheat" from my lexicon

Making something off limits or illegal is one of the best ways of making it all the more desirable and putting it in the forefront of your mind. Whatever you do right now, do not think about a red dress .

Whatchathinkig 'bout?

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 15:43
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I find that the times I start craving carbohydrates are when I am stressed out -- my teenagers are driving me crazy, my boss is driving me crazy, the house is a mess, etc. -- all the basic stressors in life. Instead of breaking down and eating carbohydrates at those times, I've been giving myself permission to do something I really enjoy: sipping a cup of herb tea and reading a book, taking a warm shower, driving to a park for a walk rather than trudging through the streets of my neighborhood, or calling up a friend. I often have trouble finding time for myself in my life; since starting this WOE I have decided that finding that time is a priority if I'm not going to slip back into unhealthy ways of eating. Carbohydrates help with stress temporarily, but in the long run they cause more stress.

Liz
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 15:59

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up temporaries...

Quote:
Originally posted by liz175
Carbohydrates help with stress temporarily, but in the long run they cause more stress.

You couldn't be more right.

CARBOHYDRATES =

Donald
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 20:37
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

That's why it is an addiction -- you temporarily feel great when you eat carbohydrates, then you crash and want more of them, and then you keep repeating the vicious cycle and spiral down hill. That's why I'm trying to find other ways to deal with stress and feel better -- the alternative ways take more time in the short run (it's faster to eat half a box of cookies than to take a walk in the park), but in the long run the other ways are healthier and, by making my life run on a more even keel, save me time.

Liz
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 21:03

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default Your so right liz!!

that to treat ourselves.. it can be fulfilling to try something that involves the other senses...not just our tastebuds..
and it needs to be planned.. just as you say.
If you plan a "treat'.. you KNOW its a reward treat.. or a calm down treat..
Something specific for that time..
Great ideas.. thanks!
:-)
Poofie!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 18:37

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Smile Best Advice

Advice for staying on LC...

Hmmmm, why do I stay on Atkins...

1. I love the way I feel.
2. I am in control of what I eat.
3. I don't think about food all the time.
4. I have never, NEVER, NEVER had this much energy.
5. I don't crave sugar all the time.
6. My Lipids are in normal range for the first time in 12 years.
7. My brain isn't as fuzzy as it use to be.
8. I am no longer on an emotional roller coaster. My moods swings have diminished.
9. I feel great about myself.

oh yeah ....

10. I have lost 102 pounds in 10 months (Tomorrow).

I don't need potatoes, bread, pasta's and Hostess Cupcakes to survive. I no longer live to eat, I eat to live.

I guess this is all the motivation I have needed.

Hope this helps.

Dee