Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 20:27
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Hello

Jane, I hope you get over the flu soon. My nephew has it and he was a very sick boy. Take good care of yourself. Get plenty of rest and fluid.
Donna
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default I am alive!!!

Just barely. wow, you are so right Donna, it was the worst ever. that brings up some good questions about sick day menus. I think I will go start a new thread, thanks for your well wishes. I am back. mostly...good side, lost 5 pounds. bad side, as soon as I eat it will be back.
Jane
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 14:11

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Can we talk about conflict....

Yesterday - bf and I are eating lunch at Chili's...he says, "you know this diet is not healthy," it was sparked due to my request for no bun w/ my chicken sandwich. Anyway, I responded to "gimme proof." I've got proof it is not not healthy so where's his? Then later it came up with a friends of ours and my bf said "do even try to critisize her diet...she won't even hear otherwise..." So if he's not gonna accept it, atleast he shut up a bout it...

I find that even the people that do have objections to WOL, still are way curious about the details. It's like how in hec do they know it's bad, if they don't know what it is?

It's definitely frustrating...maybe that's why I try to get all my friend to do it with me...support...lol

Good Luck,
E
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 04:14

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

I go to a lot of conferences and seminars but luckily they usually put on the invite that if you have any special dietary requirements, to contact them several days before the event. I generally tell them that I am gluten intolerant (which then cuts out wheat, barley, triticale, rye & oats) and rice intolerant. The worst I usually then get is a baked potato with my meal, which I then just leave on my plate. The only other hurdle is the dessert and I just pass on it when they come round to give them out.

I find that most people think that a low carb diet means NO carbs. So often if I am explaining to to people I will call it a reduced carb diet - for some reason it doesn't seem to sound so bad to them than if I call it a low carb diet! (Go figure!)

Melberry

ps. can someone please tell me how many grams is in a stick of butter?
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 11:18

Plan: Mostly Atkins these days
Stats: 260/225.9/175
BF:

Hello, Melberry. . .

There are 28 grams to an ounce, so a stick of butter which is 4 ounces, would have 112 grams.

Hope this helps.

Till next time,

#36   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 21:29

Stats: 210/208/140
BF:
Progress: 3%

LOL! It's hilarious to hear how each of you deal with people when they ask about your new woe. I work in a nursing home, full of female employees that are constantly barraging me with homemade cookies, brownies and pretty much any sugary treat you can imagine. My husband, who's also following the Atkin's Diet works at the same facility. He's lost 30 lbs this month with really watching his diet and absolutely no snackin' at the goodies at work. Hard as it is to resist when they offer "oh, one bite won't hurt ya...." we've done very well. At first everyone was appalled that I'd gotten "suckered into" that crook Dr. Atkin's diet and they were convinced I was ruining my liver and kidneys by all the protein I was eating. After a week of everyone snooping on my lunches (stuffed mushrooms with mozzrella, grilled pork chops with garlic marinade, huge salads w/ ranch dressing, as well as some great low carb desserts that I added to the goody pile they unknowingly ate something good for them! he he he) they finally decided that I wasn't eating completely unheathly foods. For me, I just kept my mouth shut and let the scale do the talking. I can't count the number of people that have asked "wow, you've lost weight haven't you??" as I chomp down on another chicken breast and nod. They've all tried to punch holes in the low-carb diets and luckily I'm fairly well read on the topic and can bat down most of their misconceptions. After a few conversations, a few have actually asked to borrow my Atkin's book for themselves! It's nice to have the results talk for themselves
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 17:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:

melberry... do you mean carb grams or weight grams? stormy is right about weight, but I think there are zero carb grams in a stick of butter.
Jane
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 19:13
Pending Member

BF:
Default Hello everyone

Vensula, Wow that is great that you and your husband is both on Atkins and congratulate him for me for losing 30 lbs for me . I know both my brother and sister is with me on Atkins and the support helps allot. I think it wonderful that we can eat these wonderful meals and just see the envy on others faces. Keep up the good work and I bet you a $1.oo that you well have them asking for Dr. Atkins menu soon.

Jane, I hope you are feeling better. Yes, I would love to have a low carb menu for those sick days. I found myself drinking allot of beef or chicken broth and drinking plenty of water. I look forward in reading the thread when it is posted. With this strange weather I bet allot of peole are feeling under the weater.

Hello Stormy and Melberry. Butter is 0 carbs, I love fresh butter on all my vegetables.

Hope everyone well have a wonderful low carb evening.
Donna
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 08:04
look4ward

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default a great reply

I have recently begun the Zone diet, (40c-30p-30f) which is not as high-fat/high-protein as Atkins but still gets the bad "fad diet" rap.

I simply have begun telling others who question my 30% fat intake that "I am following my doctor's direct orders".

Of course, they don't have to know WHICH doctor I refer to!

(thanks, Dr. Sears!)

Once they are "outranked" by an MD they tend to subside.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 08:59
Registered Member

Stats: 265/210/205
BF:
Progress: 92%

Whenever someone starts going on and on about how bad the diet is I just ask them to show me a study that has proven this fact

Another thing I do is when people ask how I lost the weight I tell them exercise and diet.

Bottom line is I know how I feel and I could care less is someone wants to waste their energy telling me that i'm wrong or am hurting myself
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 09:18

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 245/227/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Nosey People!

Yesterday i was shopping for low carb bread, and I asked the clerk if they carried any or if she knew where I could find some. She looked at me and said "Dieting??". I almost smacked her (its none of her business!) But what I said was "No, actually I am insulin resistant and have to watch my carb intake". Because realistically we have all been dieting probably the monent we put on 5 lbs, has that worked? No, thats why were here!! So technically if cutting carbs works for shedding pounds, then its a medical condition in my opinion. Ya know if your friends are giving you a hard time, just leave it at that.

Hope that helps!
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 15:47

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

Thanks everyone!
I did mean weight grams not carb grams - we don't have "sticks" of butter over here - our packets of butter usually come in 250 and 500grams, so you see if I'd taken a guess the recipe could turn out rather different!!!!

On the weekend I went to my sister's house for lunch and they cooked a BBQ with lovely fresh chicken fillets and steaks and a huge salad. BIL also cooked potatoes and onions on the BBQ (without any fat, so my he insisted) My brother in law has decided to go on a diet because, despite footy training 3 times a week, he needs to lose weight. Well! He's gone on a diet. I was cringing as I looked on horrified. Whilst I tucked into lots of meat and salad, he had 2 slices of white bread (poison)and salad! After that he went for a bike ride!!!!!!!!! Imagine all the muscle he is losing!
I took up my Atkins book and my sister declared that she is going to put it in his toilet so he reads it (don't think I'll be wanting that back!) In the meantime I ate a LC cheesecake I'd made and had a glass of wine - I certainly didn't look like I was on a diet. And who do you think is going to be lighter on the scales this week - I bet it's not him!

Melberry
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 10:53

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

When folks ask me if I'm following a certain diet or program, I will often say "I am watching how many carbohydrates I eat ...very similar to how hypoglycemics and diabetics eat". People seem to have a need to be able to 'identify' things in somewhat tangible ways. If they are curious to ask more questions, I proceed to let them know that at the moment I am eating less carbs than a diabetic just until my weight gets to an acceptable level ...that eventually I will have more carbs and eat very similar to a diabetic. I wholeheartedly agree that short simple answers are the best ammunition, but there are folks who want to know more. I 'fortunately' can tell inquisitors of all the health problems that are in my family line should they continue to ask ...somehow they then consider me 'wise' to practice preventative health.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 17:07
Pending Member

BF:

Melberry, My girlfriend went on weight watcher and when we went out to eat. She had pasta, and rolls and salad and a piece of cake. I had baked steak with salad with mayo and ice tea. She said she gained weight and I lost. She still think I am killing myself. I just quit saying anything and go on with my WOE and I bit I will be down to my goal before she does. Keep up the good work. I believe that by our example more people will come to see the great benefits of low carbing.

Schwarz, I too have alot of medical problems in my family and I have also told people about how I am eating to prevent trouble in the future. Sometimes they listen but allot of them try to give me advice. I just show them my blood work reports and they say, I can't believe it.

Donna
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 21:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Great story for y'all...

Today I was at a conference and lunch was served cafeteria style. Fortunately, they had some good choices, so I got the broiled skinless chicken breast, green beans and a salad. Once I sat down to eat, one of my table mates (who had pasta, no veggies and a large piece of Snickers pie) commented, "Wow...that looks like a really healthy lunch. Are you dieting?" I replied that I was and she asked what diet plan I was following. Of course, when I told her that I was low carbing, I immediately received the "That diet is terrible for you" lecture. I simply smiled and replied "Didn't you just say that it looked like I was eating a healthy lunch? What about my telling you what type of plan I'm following suddenly changed what's on my plate to unhealthy?" She looked surprised and said, "Well, THAT'S healthy, but you don't eat like that all the time, do you? After all, isn't low carb supposed to be the bacon and eggs and all the fat you can eat diet?" I laughed and replied that it sounded like she was the victim of misinformation and got a chance to explain that while low carb is not a fat restricted diet, it's not a license to gorge yourself on fat, either. I also explained, briefly, how it's not the fat that is the culprit, it's high fat combined with high carb that's the killer. Sometimes I DO eat bacon, and I often eat eggs (which they are now discovering don't actually raise your cholesterol after all) and red meat, but generally I don't go crazy with the fat. I also shared with her the fact that I've lost 65 lbs and gotten off all my meds eating this way. By the time we parted ways, she said she was going to get the book and read more about it.