Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 14:08

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Default Flaxmeal and thyroid

I read that flaxmeal is not the best for thyroid problems. Have any of you had problems with it? Nancy? I know your bowl muffins have flaxmeal. Does it effect you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 15:45

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

I think there's a basic failure to understand the nature of the flaxseed/thyroid connection. Basically, raw flaxseeds contain cyanogenic glycosides which - if you eat more than 4-5 Tbsp daily, can inhibit thyroid function. There's an easy solution: Toast the flaxseeds (heat destroys the glycosides).

Thus, flaxmeal made from toasted flaxseeds poses no thyroid threat. FYI, other foods that contain cyanogenic glycosides include almonds, lima beans, cassava, prunes, bamboo shoots.

Hope this helps
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 16:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Yep, toasting the seeds at a low heat (no more than 250°F) will destroy the glycosides AND still preserve the omega-3 oil. FWIW, cyanogenic glycosides are found in the seed, but not in the oil.

Cyanogenic glycosides must first be metabolised to thiocyanate before they're actually harmful.

http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/FlaxPrimer_Chptr11.pdf
Quote:
Cyanogenic Glycosides

Cyanogenic glycosides are a group of natural substances found in plants that release cyanide, a poisonous compound, when degraded by enzymes or organic acids (304,305). Thousands of plants produce cyanogenic compounds (306), including several agronomically important crops such as cassava (also called tapioca and manioc), lima beans, bamboo shoots, sorghum, flax, apples and stone fruits like peaches, plums, cherries and apricots. Other sources of dietary cyanide include vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin), an essential vitamin required for cell growth and the health of red blood cells, and thiocyanates, which are found naturally in milk, beer and green vegetables. Thiocyanate is a breakdown product of the cyanogenic glycosides and of glucosinolates found in millet and in cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, mustard, turnip, radish, and horseradish (307,308).

Thiocyanate is a goitrogen, meaning that it blocks the uptake of iodine by the thyroid gland (308). When the diet is overly rich in goitrogens, the thyroid gland swells to trap as much iodine as possible, forming a goiter or lump in the neck (309). There is no evidence that eating flax produces symptoms of goiter. Goiter is not a health problem where iodine intake is adequate (303,310), and it is rare in North America. [Goiter occurs mainly in Asia and Africa, and in 96% of cases, it is due to iodine deficiency, not to the overconsumption of plant goitrogens (309).] Iodine deficiency disorders like goiter have been virtually eliminated in the United States through the iodization of salt (311). In Canada, table salt has been iodized since the 1930s to eliminate endemic goiter in inland regions where dietary iodine was inadequate (310). The addition of iodine to table salt is required in Canada and permitted in the United States.

Furthermore, eating baked goods containing flax appears to have little effect on urinary thiocyanate levels. In a Canadian study, urinary thiocyanate levels were not greater in healthy women who ate muffins containing flax every day for four weeks (55). This finding suggests that serum thiocyanate levels and, hence, risk of goiter, were not increased.

Populations most likely to experience health problems from cyanogenic glycosides have poor quality diets rich in cassava and also low energy (calorie) and iodine intakes. By comparison, North Americans are well nourished and eat a variety of foods daily. In healthy people who eat varied diets, the body can eliminate the potentially harmful compounds found in plants (312).

Consumption of moderate amounts of flax (for example, 1–2 tbsp) daily is not likely to pose a health problem for North Americans who have adequate intakes of protein and iodine. In several clinical studies, volunteers ate muffins containing 50 g (5–6 tbsp) of ground flax daily for up to six weeks without ill effects. Muffins made with ground flax showed no trace of the cyanogenic glycosides, suggesting that cooking destroyed the enzyme that metabolizes the cyanogenic glycosides (55).

hth

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 16:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The bowl muffins are cooked so it should be ok.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 13:37

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

Very nice! I love my flaxmeal muffins and can't imagine having to give them up. I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for your help!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-12, 22:53

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Yep, toasting the seeds at a low heat (no more than 250°F) will destroy the glycosides AND still preserve the omega-3 oil. FWIW, cyanogenic glycosides are found in the seed, but not in the oil.

Cyanogenic glycosides must first be metabolised to thiocyanate before they're actually harmful.

http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/FlaxPrimer_Chptr11.pdf

hth

Doreen

THis subject came up in another thread and it bears repeating. I did a search and could NOT find any info linking flax and thyroid or goiter. This has been the ONLY info that I can find so far. THought others might like to see it as it was posted some time ago.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 08:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Found this, some studies are referenced.

http://collectivewizdom.com/Underac...alRemedies.html
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 08:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't eat flaxmeal all that often, so I can't tell. Besides, all my thyroid hormone is exogenous (pills), so it might not apply to me anyway.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-13, 20:12

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I don't eat flaxmeal all that often, so I can't tell. Besides, all my thyroid hormone is exogenous (pills), so it might not apply to me anyway.

I know this is an OLD thread. My apologies....but I find this so interesting.

I have used flax meal in the past with no problem (beginning back in 2003 when I started lc-ing), but this time around (started back the very end of 2010) I had trouble with bloat and weight gain when using flax, so I stopped using it. I am now wondering if it had something to do with my thyroid being on the road to tanking. I had my thyroid removed Sept. 2012 and am well on the road to recovery after a tough year +. This and other posts are making me wonder if I would have better results with flax now.

Also making me wonder if other food issues were related to my Hashimoto's.