Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 08:28

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

want to read this thread through and didn't want to lose it.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 03:22

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 120/118/118 Male 169
BF:
Progress:
Default coconut oil and sebhoerric dermatitis

Is unprocessed coconut oil ingestion in any way good for Psoriasis/sebhoerric dermatitis after reading from various sites in the net? I am ingesting coconut oil upto 2 tablespoon and my dermatitis has flared, spread and aggravated. What should i do?
When I was applying them topically It initially flared and went down in intensity but the same cannot be said about ingestion as it is more than 10 days of ingesting and its still continues to flare, itch and spread . Kindly advise.

regds

ols1427

Last edited by ols1427 : Wed, Mar-09-11 at 04:38.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-11, 19:23

Plan: Any
Stats: 311/195/155 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Yes, I'm quite sure it works for SD & Psoriasis...

Ten days... poor dear. I'm not sure it is apt to improve after such time--anyone else?

The thing is, I can tell you first-hand (well, I guess I already yelled it far and wide on this thread... lol, sorry, I get exuberant when I am SAVED! =D.), unrefined coconut oil IS fantastic for Seborrheic dermatitis and/or psoriasis...

...but it sounds like a) either you are having a good old-fashioned allergy to the coconut, b) the unrefined coconut oil has something in it (besides itself--it shouldn't), or c) something else you are eating, taking as a supplement, or putting on your skin/hair is reacting badly with the coconut oil.
Have you any artificial perfumes--detergents, maybe in the laundry? (Fabric softeners are particularly nasty... for everyone, I daresay.)

It would make me sad indeed if you were allergic... this oil has helped me so well, I feel like a new person. And I don't think I've heard of a coconut oil allergy before, but anything is more than possible, of course!

[Little Note for Acne/Facial Skin-care: I was using pure, unrefined, organic coconut oil on my face--and only this oil--for a while, but I did find it broke me out a bit. Some people, it doesn't; my face-skin pores must be too small, or something, for the big juicy healing coconut molecules.
To this day, I'll still dab a drop of it on an already-infected pore--and it's the first thing I grab for infected earring-holes, and such--but, for my whole face, I generally now use Grapeseed Oil.
Beautiful!--and my thirties mild acne is gone, if I use both my Grapeseed and a sticky droplet of honey on a "spot", anyways... .
Yes, HONEY IS ALSO THE BOMB for any infection. Didn't the ancient Egyptians use it to protect wounds suffered in wars? super-effective; the less refined, the better. (But, yes you can use normal "honeybear" honey for a cut or pimple, too.)]

Back on-topic--my friend, if you are sickening from the coconut oil... you certainly would NOT be missing anything to quit off the coconut, and-soon. A bit of psoriasis is probably just fine, next to a full-blown allergic reaction... .

...Any chance you can ask the doctor for an allergy test? otherwise, I would clean up the rest of my diet- and body-regimens and toss out all the extra chemicals (that is, things you can't recognize as having grown up through the soil, or coming from a hopefully well-treated animal)... *IF* the coconut is bearable for any longer. Only you can know...
perhaps you do need to stop, at least until you've cleaned out some other things (makeups, even...?).
-shrug- All I know is what I'd do...

-hoping for the best healing ever for ols1427-,
Jaxxy. =)
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-11, 23:44

BF:
Progress:
Red face

Sorry, I tangent-ed...
Yes, eating coconut oil is purportedly fantastic for all of your cells, more specifically, the cell membranes. It very closely (I read) resembles the oil that helps build up the cell membranes to start--keeps 'em nice and permeable but still strong. Coconut's a real fortifying food... all I've got to show is my vastly improved health.

Also, a tablespoon has quite a few calories (not that I find caloric intake to be the end-all be-all it is said to be, of diet)--so a trick I'd do, whenst in a morning rush, was grab a tablespoon or two to swallow on my way out the door! nice energy boost... or it is for me, who desperately needs foods that burn slowly.

(Just felt obligated to say this--the reverse is true. If you eat margarines or other, normally, anyway, trans-fats, then your cell membranes, brain, and all the fattier areas of your body will become more like a plastic. Some say it is trans-fat that is the main culprit in forming that hard stuff that sticks inside your arteries...)

Still, ols1427, you may need to find another oil. I hear things like almond oil, grape-seed (I LOVE grape-seed--it killed my acne, but-gone--and now, it's all I use to cleanse my face, most days) oil, olive oil, can help very well, too. From what I understand, there's tons of nut and herb and plant oils to try, which have anti-septic, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal properties--it may only depend upon your financial resources and research resourcefulness.
I just worry you have a bona-fide allergy, here... </3.
I truly pray it only be a reaction to something else you find, and soon.

So... yeah, I just don't have a lot of people to talk to about this stuff, LOL. And if it could be of use to just one person, I'd be a happy bird.
Sorry for spamming this poor old thread...!
-excuses birdself-
<3.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 21:59

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 120/118/118 Male 169
BF:
Progress:

Hey Jaxxy....Thanks a million tonne for your concern and reply....I APPRECIATE dear....I changed from unrefined coconut oil to Virgin Coconut oil and I am getting relief, the irritation has improved and the future may seem inviting...i guess there was something in the unrefined coconut oil which didnt suit me. it is such an irony that we go in pursuit of that secret potion for psoriasis when it is the simple humble coconut oil which may do the trick....(fingers crossed)
Moreover prayers and guidance (of people whom we have never met) of mutually affected people like you go a long way in healing and coming to the right conclusion.
I will continue to use VCO and watch the results.
Meanwhile I will keep you posted and once again thanks a million for the support and advice.

regards,

ols1427
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-11, 22:11

Plan: .
Stats: 148/138/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Hello. I went to a Dermatologist this month [after such a long time!] and she told me that I have Seborrheic Dermatitis. She gave me a prescription and I'm currently using some kind of lotion.

I had red scales on my hair line and they kept getting worse whenever I scratched. But when I started using this lotion, I saw that it cleared up, but now my hair line looks whiter than the rest of my skin. I really don't know if this is normal. I also keep getting some red spots on my cheeks. I used to get red large patches on my cheeks though. I also lose some of my hair whenever I wash it. Any advice?

Last year I got my hair straighten permanently. If I do it again, could this worsen the Seborrheic Dermatitis?

Tomorrow I'm going to buy some coconut oil and see how it goes.

Thanks in advance!
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 02:45

Plan: low carbs
Stats: 100/95/90 Female 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

hi! thanks for the info. what shampoo can i use after applying the coconut oil? is it ok to use antidandruff shampoo like head and shoulders? or should i use a mild shampoo? i really have dandruff and its so embarrassing! thanks
  #68   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 06:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

What an interesting thread. I also have an itchy scalp, but not to the point that you describe. But I started using CO just this week because my hair is so dry and dull. I was hoping that it would restore some of the luster and make it softer.

I've done it only once, but my hair already feels thicker and has a little more sheen. I must get a shower cap -- I just put it on and let it sit for about 1/2 hour. I'll try your method and see what happens.

I always had thick, shiny hair when I was younger. I think coloring it has really damaged it.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 11:04

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%

My DD has eczema and psoriasis on her bottom. I started using coconut oil on her twice a day and it almost completely cleared up in just a bit more than a week. We missed a few days and it's gotten irritated again but still not as bad as it normally gets with the prescriptions.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 17:51

Plan: none
Stats: 178/178/140 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie91
Hello. I went to a Dermatologist this month [after such a long time!] and she told me that I have Seborrheic Dermatitis. She gave me a prescription and I'm currently using some kind of lotion.

I had red scales on my hair line and they kept getting worse whenever I scratched. But when I started using this lotion, I saw that it cleared up, but now my hair line looks whiter than the rest of my skin. I really don't know if this is normal. I also keep getting some red spots on my cheeks. I used to get red large patches on my cheeks though. I also lose some of my hair whenever I wash it. Any advice?

Last year I got my hair straighten permanently. If I do it again, could this worsen the Seborrheic Dermatitis?

Tomorrow I'm going to buy some coconut oil and see how it goes.

Thanks in advance!

What are the names of the prescription and lotion you got given?
  #71   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 20:58

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Extremely interesting thread! Thank you for all the info here.
  #72   ^
Old Sat, May-19-12, 00:00

BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb YAYS~<3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
Extremely interesting thread! Thank you for all the info here.

It is! Thanks & You're Welcome, too, for whatever teensy part I've contributed. I'm only SO happy people are really going ahead and trying the unrefined coconut oil, benefiting from it, and then coming back to tell us all about it! Pure gold...

This topic's really, really needed--I'll usually only try things I see real people discussing on forums like these. I mean, I really didn't believe it at all when I first read (on a non-discussion 'site) about something so obvious and simple being able to replace expensive (and toxic. really) prescriptions and dermatologist visits (let alone disgusting, deadly margarines!! lol, next time I'll tell you how I really feel), but I knew in my soul I needed a big fat change. Frankly, I'd ended up with so many bizarro health problems that my doctors had long taken to telling me they were shocked to see me come into the office again, as I should have passed on years before (before 2007! hello, 2012! )...

So I seriously couldn't believe it when I ordered the unrefined coconut oil anyways... and it sat there and killed that decades-old case of Athletes' Foot of mine in less than two weeks. (Mayo Clinic had actually already 'treated' it, as I was an IN-PATIENT there for other things, with zero success. "Best" clinic in the World--no help, none!!! ) And then the fuzzy little coconuts went on to take away my poor flaky nose and head, too (the flakes, not my nose and head)-- and WOW.

Oh, I'm just so truly happy that this discussion turned up on my browser years ago--did you know, I joined this forum simply to talk about some hairy coconuts with a bunch of strangers? =D I know I'm ramble-ly (and that I use up all the exclamation points... s-sorry) but it was and it is a genuine life-saving experience for me, and to see others Getting Well, Too is... :'(!

Keep eating those coconuts an' smearing 'em all over yourselves, guys--and totally research Oil Cleansing, let's get us away from those irritating soaps we've all been using for time out of mind, too. Ridiculous: my skin (and a lot more of me, like liver and kidneys--they were VERY sick before ) is ultra-normal now I've made all the switches (psst: try African Black Soap, too... and make sure it's the real stuff)!

(Oopsies... and here's the website that started it all for me, if I haven't posted it elsewhere in this thread...
http://coconutoil-online.com/ !
GREAT info here--it's why I decided to try these things--as well as the place to buy the most delicious coconut oils I've ever found, straight from a tiny, friendly company in Africa.)

Love--and Beautiful Skin, Hair & Cell Walls (hey, turns out it matters!)--to All,
(\(^v^)/)!

#73   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 13:05

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 223/137/124 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

My daughter had a severe case of head lice when she was in elementary school. Unfortunately she was one of those who didn't react with itching for a long time, and she had blond hair, so we didn't discover it until it was pretty bad. Not too long after it was treated she had those white scaly patches all over her head. The doctor didn't think it was related and told us to use a coal tar shampoo. It seemed to help keep it under control but it never went away completely (still hasn't & she's in her 30's). But she also came down with severe acne right after that, too. She ended up seeing a dermatologists and he tried all sorts of things, including heat lamps and antibiotics. Nothing worked. Then I found out coal tar shampoos can cause a severe form of acne. We stopped the shampoo and the acne cleared right up. I now believe she had a subcutaneous bacterial infection from the lice infestation which should have been treated with antibiotics instead of coal tar shampoo! But I'm going to tell her about this coconut oil treatment and see if it helps her now. I do use it on my face around my eye brows & the sides of my nose. I've been trying to get my husband to use it instead of the hydrocortisone cream the doc gives him.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-12, 22:44

Plan: NA
Stats: 187/167/167 Male 172cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen4621
Okay....I truly believe it's official now 'cuz my scalp has been completely free and clear of ANY signs of seborrhea for 7 months now!

Here's my story: At 13 (puberty for most of us females), I suddenly developed thick white patches on my scalp that would not go away no matter what I did or used (i.e. dandruff shampoos, etc.) It has been a great source of misery and embarrassment for me my entire life since then! (When DH & I were first dating, the wind blew my hair, he saw it and said, "What's that? The MANGE!!" - ok, so I still married him cuz he apologized PROFUSELY & sweetly) I did finally see a dermatologist (for a different reason) and he diagnosed me with "seborriasis" cuz it looked like seborrhea but migrated to different parts of my head like psoriasis would do, gave me some medicated gel but I didn't use it cuz it made my hair look greasy & oily (I'm not a vain person but in an office......)

Last October (and 30+ yrs after the seborriasis first started), after 6 months on Atkins and a few months on this forum, I started researching coconut oil. My hair had been doing the falling out thing for a few months and I was getting desperate - didn't want to be bald w/ white patches all over the place!

So, I took some coconut oil, warmed it a bit in the microwave, and slathered it all over my scalp & hair, put on a shower cap, then a towel, sat around for about an hour, then hopped in the shower and washed my hair. I did that twice a week for 3 weeks - after the first 3 times, my scalp was COMPLETELY CLEAR - but I did it 3 more times just to make sure! That was 7 months ago...I haven't used the coconut oil on my scalp since...and it's STILL completely clear! I have been able to wear dark colored tops all winter long without worrying once about flaking onto my shirts! (Just breathing before would send a cascade of flakes before!) My scalp is pink & healthy looking, my hair has been coming back in (of course, that could be just the normal cycle of things now that my body has adjusted to LCing), and I'm no longer frantic on windy days!

This is just my experience but wanted to share in case anyone else was having the same problem - I even had my son use it on my granddaughter's scalp for her cradle cap!

Just one more thing that coconut oil has done for me!

Ellen

I just wanted to ask, what you used to wash the oil off from your hair.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-12, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Am sitting slathered in coconut oil, wearing a shower cap, wrapped in a towel as I post

Although I'm not sure if I actually suffer from sebhoreic dermatitis, my scalp does have a tendency to be itchy and flaky. Have tried various shampoos etc., but nothing has really worked, so hoping that the coconut oil will do the trick

Thanks for the tip Ellen

ditto here!

No shower cap though....just doing it with a towel around my neck to catch the drips!