Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 09:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
How can a diet that encourages healthy eating cause brain damage? The same way a black cat causes bad luck or if you step on a crack you break your mother's back. If you have to question that, then you haven't done the research.

Ha! I was about to say, how can eating meats, vegetables, and fruits cause brain damage? What's intrinsic to processed white flour and sugar that protects the brain from damage and makes sure the heart keeps pumping!? What chemical is it in these things that is so vital that it keeps us going?

Perhaps our ancestors were all brain damaged, since they didn't have these things. They couldn't buy Wonder Bread, so they were brain damaged, had heart disease, and died young. It wasn't the bears and the famines that got them, it was the lack of carbs.

Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 09:30

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

"It wasn't the bears and the famines that got them, it was the lack of carbs.
"

OH snap! That IS the truth. And our cave dwelling ancestors had problems with obesity, childhood diabetes and high blood pressure too because they didnt have processed sugar.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 10:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There's more and more evidence that Alzheimer's is like a brain diabetes. I'm sure the epidemic of alzheimer's we have is due to people eating too many carbs.

brain diabetes

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Jul-06-05 at 10:25.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 10:18

Stats: 104/108/104 Female 5' 3"
BF:22%/17%/14%
Progress: 200%

"A sign of wisdom and intelligence is knowing what you don't know" and "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing": These are cliche but OH SO TRUE Pocky.

When you finish your Freshmen Biology Course, come back to me when you've taken Biochemistry, Comparative Animal Physiology, and graduate level courses in Bioenergetics, Starvation Physiology, Biochemical Adaptation, and Physiological Ecology.

Lucky for you I wasn't your professor. I would have failed you for being too ignorant to read the informed posts here from your elders and for going so far as to come back with all of your proof.

Cyp: Master of Science in Biology with a focus in Biochemical Adaptation and Starvation Physiology.

P.S. In addition to looking up what others have suggested to you, also find out exactly how brain cells make ATP from ketones.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 04:35

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

How anybody can argue the above post is beyond me. Kudos
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 10:31

Plan: none now
Stats: 176/153/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

note for the past:
Remember that I was stating that cutting too many carbs would possibly hurt you and that cutting carbs sensibly would not hurt you [based upon the evidence I had.] I place that in brackets to make it evident. keyword there: "POSSIBLY". I am no 'ignoramous'. LOL... --- I presented my opinion with evidence to back it up, looking for more information on a controversial topic today and got what I wanted. That is called manipulation to obtain more knowledge. Brains are required to present a topic with information to support it... IF it were not backed up with some form of proof tht would have been ignorant.

note for the present:
I did not post my intentions to obtain more information from the people on this board and have apparently provoked a lot of people. By not posting my intentions, I got more than merely aggravated responses... I teed people off! *_*
All I have to say in response to those who were more than aggravated by my post is: Wow! I will admit that I was attempting to open a can of worms with a statement backed up by evidence because I wanted to see the replies that I could receive and get a lot of information from what was known by me in a short amount of time. . . but the response is amazing! Many of you have presented very good, concise arguments by being mad and I thank you (even though the intention was not to make you guys as angry as I have). I ended up angering a lot of people beyond the reasonable extent that I was aiming for in presenting some controversy. My intentions were to reasonably provoke because controversy cannot be presented with opening a can of worms. I apologize for causing something responses way past the extent hoped for. I am sorry. My fault for not posting my full intentions. It was a long post afterall. Well, I WANTED more information and a compass to guide me to where to look and what to look up and you guys were the compass, only I did not necessarily mean to provoke you to the extent in which I have. In conclusion, thank you.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 10:35
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

That must be why I'm a complete blonde most of the time, I wonder if lack of carbs is eating my brain...
hmmmm, I'll think about that one, but not too much, I don't want my already starved brain giving up completely!!
Oh Please.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 10:39

Plan: none now
Stats: 176/153/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

I never said give up LCing. I am just trying the diet after all. I was just saying don't like, cut all the carbs out completely. There is a HUGE difference in cutting completely and cutting sensibly by following the plan. BLAH Sorry if I teed a lot of people off but I did want more evidence.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 10:43
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Hahha, I think from the answers you got you kinda got your answer on what people think about it.
IF people are FOLLOWING a LC plan then that's the reason they are here in the first place, they're not here to cut out 100% of carbs, that's the point in it being Low Carb, it's not NO carb!!
I think people just took your post as being an attack on low carb, but if you were commenting on no carbs at all, then it doesn't really need saying here on this board.
Having said that, I do respect the fact that you are actually asking questions on what people think....bravo for not believing everything negative about low carb before doing your research!
((hugs))
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 21:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/169/139 Female 5ft3ins
BF:41.8%/39%/33%
Progress: 40%
Thumbs up Thanx for this

I have just finished the 3 pages on this thread and wanted to let all involved how entertaining I found it (and informative )
I think everyone is actually on the same page after all the heated discussion.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 10:32

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 340/324/165 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Pocky stix you are taking bio I at a state school. I Guess that means you know all eh? Please refrain from making callous statements on things you have no clue about in the future.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 11:04

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 175.6/135.2/125 Female 5'2" inches
BF:I/dont/care
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by POCKYstix
I was just saying don't like, cut all the carbs out completely. There is a HUGE difference in cutting completely and cutting sensibly by following the plan. BLAH Sorry if I teed a lot of people off but I did want more evidence.

Hi Pockystix,

Dont worry, I dont think you teed anyone (permenently), ,we just tend to be an oppiniated bunch (must be all the bad press we have to endure )

You last remark just made me smile. Since when LOW carb is NO carb? Correct me if im wrong people, but i dont think there is a WOE on this site cutting carbs completely, permanently. Atkins first stage IS pretty drastic (about 20g barbs) but it lets you sample a good variety of greens and veggies. Subsequent stages lets you have more and more until you get back to something more mainstream (pasta and bread once in a while, the occasionnal birthday cake..).

All I know, Ive been doing this for a year and so far, im not slacked-faced and drooling and ive been feeling GREAT!!

Ciao!!
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 14:53
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

The reason veggie/fruit consumption is recommended on low carb plans is for their vitamin and mineral content, not for their carbs. It's possible that dietary carbs might be needed for some people doing high-intensity athletic training, but otherwise a requirement for dietary carbs has never been proven. I thought that the above posts regarding gluconeogenesis explained the reason for this very clearly.

There are a lot of folks - like me - who do best well below "mainstream" levels of carbs. Except for special occasions, I eat no grain, legumes or sugar, and only modest amounts of berries, non-starchy veggies and dairy, and most of those have been fermented which lowers the carb content even more.

Wyv