Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 22:33

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 200/165/130
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default call me turtle

I've been doing a combination of Atkins/Somersize for almost a month, now and I'm still at 197lbs. I did start at 200, though, but I was hoping to at least have lost 10 by now. It could be that I'm eating too much of the high carb food replacements, like Better Blueberry Muffins and the low carb pizza dough. This is weird. I thought the purpose of those replacements was to take the place of normally high carb foods so I wouldn't be consuming too many carbs. I find that without those replacements, I get bored with the foods and I feel kind of limited. I'm a little disappointed. When I found the websites that offered LC foods, I thought, "YESSSSS! I can eat just about anything!!!! This makes things a lot easier!" But I guess the reality is that I need more protien foods than the breads.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 14:43

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hello crystal28,

I'm Robert the tortoise (cos I'm British). I'm visiting all the turtles no one else has written to to see how they are getting on.

Did you sort out you diet? Did it work? Do you eat more meat and salads now? Are you still a turtle?

Write and let me know.

Greetings

robert
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 07:58

BF:
Default im still a turtle...

I'm still a turtle, but I've backslid TERRIBLY, but I'm still at 197lbs. I'm eating mostly meats, vegetables, and fruits, but I also eat whole wheat grains and use Splenda as a sugar substitute. You could call it Somersizing, I guess, but the "backsliding" hasn't gotten me any closer to my desired weight. I'm glad that I was at least able to control my cravings enough not to gain back any of the weight I've lost!!

Thanks for the post...support really is a motivator!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 10:47

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hello again crystal28,

Well, it sounds like you're eating a really healthy diet. Pity your still not loosing. I'm in the same position. I lost 44lbs now I'm truly stuck. But what the heck at least I'm stuck. Most of my life I've been gaining!

You could try one of the more severe plans like Atkins? It might help you...just a thought.

All the best,
Robert

#5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 12:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi Crystal!

I noticed one of your posts and thought that I would drop in to check out how you are doing. You seem a little frustrated with your results thus far. Maybe you could start posting some of your daily meal plans here so that others could take a look at it. There may be something that you are overlooking that may be slowing you down. You mentioned that you were doing a combination of Atkins and Somersizing, and as the two plans work on slightly different principles that may have been part of the problem? Posting your meals for others to offer advice might shed some light on things.

It really is best to stick to more natural foods, as in meat and vegetables. When we prepare something ourselves we know exactly what is in it and don't have to worry about any hidden carbs, not to mention that it is much healthier that eating meals from a bag or a box. There really is quite a lot of variety after the induction phase. Check out some of the recipes on this website for some fresh new ideas. Also make sure to drink lots of water to help get things moving as well.

If you decide to follow the Atkins plan, follow it to the letter. It is really only more restrictive than the other plans in the induction phase which may only last for 2 weeks.

Hang in there...you can do it!!

KC
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 09:40
Registered Member

Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Re: im still a turtle...

Quote:
Originally posted by crystal28
I'm eating mostly meats, vegetables, and fruits, but I also eat whole wheat grains and use Splenda as a sugar substitute

Fruit has sugar, even whole wheat grains have lots of carbs. I read the Somersize book, I even tried it for awhile. You don't lose quickly on that plan.

Cut out the fruit, cut out the bread. Make sure your vegetables are not the starchy kind, increase fats somewhat (but don't go overboard), and I suspect you will start losing again.

Have you read "Protein Power?" In there he talks about a lot of ancient cultures, including the Egyptians. It seems that the Egyptians ate a LOT of bread (whole grain of course), and other "healthy" stuff. If there was a culture that followed the "food pyramid" it was the ancient Egyptians. And they didn't eat "processed" foods, everything was natural. But based on their remains which have come down to us as mummys and can be examined, they were NOT all that healthy.

They had bad teeth, hardening of the arteries, evidence of heart disease etc. Wheras the hunter/gatherer nomads around them were quite healthy. Hunter gatherers, eat mostly meat, fat, some berries.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 12:48

BF:
Thumbs up Thanx RCFletcher, slimchance, & SherryB!!!!

I want to thank ya'll for your suggestions!! I guess I'll have to stick to my guns and stop backsliding now, huh? I don't eat TONS of fruit or bread, but I was so frustrated at being stuck at 197 that I was eating junk foods and never "got back on the wagon".

I have been thinking about doing straight Atkins for about two weeks, then going back to Somersizing. Atkins is way too restrictive for me (but I know THAT way works like magic!)

I've been eating more natural foods, but I know I need to be drinking more water. I've got to work on that. I think the hardest part of this whole thing is getting started and trying to stop doing everything at once that's made me overweight in the first place. I just need to commit to eating right for the rest of my life and not dieting.

Thanks to everyone's suggestions, I'm down 2lbs. Yay!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 22:40

BF:
Default Still losing slowly

183.5 lbs as of January 7, 2003
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 00:11

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Default Congratulations

Why don't you update your stats? Watching the percentage toward goal bar move is a good motivator!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 00:45

BF:
Default Stats update

Thanks!

Thats a great idea....thanx for the support!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 21:33

BF:
Thumbs up I'm a loser!!

165 lbs. as of April 4, 2003!!

#12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 05:52

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%

That's great! You're halfway there - it's all downhill from here. Keep up the good work!!!