Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-24, 13:24

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Dark Calories: How Vegetable Oils Stole Our Health

In an email from Dr. Cate Shanahan, author of Deep Nutrition:

Quote:
Just this morning, I got a question forwarded to me from a rather panicked listener to the BioHacking Girls podcast, after my interview with them went live. She says:

After hearing episode #201 about seed oils I am quite shocked and confused. That unhealthy seed oils in ultra-processed foods are not good comes as no surprise. What is surprising, however, is the generalizability Dr. Cate draws to seed oils in general!

She explained that she is currently getting an advanced degree in nutrition and that my message to avoid the Hateful Eight seed oils contradicts much of what she’s learned. She is panicking because almost all of her fat calories have come from these oils, and worse, her growing child was eating them almost exclusively, too. Now she is unsure what to believe or what she can eat since these oils are in so many foods.

Here we have an insider who, like me (and probably you, too), had her world turned upside down by the shocking realization that seed oils are bad for you.

At this point, I need to back up and let you in on a project I’ve been working on behind the scenes.

It began in Morrison CO where I lived at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, one winter eve in 2014 while I was thinking about the precise situation the dietitian wrote me about today. That we, as a country, have no idea that we’re eating oils that destroy our health. We have all been fooled. And who is fooling us? It’s not the food companies, at least not directly. It’s certain doctors. But not ordinary doctors. It’s the doctors in positions of authority by virtue of their prestigious academic titles. The doctors who consult for drug and device companies and who educate other doctors. They’re the problem, and their corruption needs to be exposed.

That was the moment I knew I needed to write another book.

My upcoming book will pull back the curtain to reveal a hidden world of powerful truths. It’s called Dark Calories: How Vegetable Oils Stole Our Health And How We Get It Back. It’s taken me almost a decade to finish. I’ll share some of the mind-blowing discoveries from Dark Calories with you soon.

Stay tuned!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-24, 09:56

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I avoid seed oils, but also wonder about eating the seeds they are made from - does anyone discuss that? Is it just the processing that ruins them or the presence of anti-nutrients in the seeds themselves? Sunflower & sesame seeds give me hives, soybeans & peanuts cause me joint pain & inflammation, so I try to avoid them too. So why are sunflower seeds & soybeans (& corn & rice bran) promoted as healthy foods?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-24, 04:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Sunflower & sesame seeds give me hives, soybeans & peanuts cause me joint pain & inflammation, so I try to avoid them too.

Sounds like oxalates. Which we knew a lot about in the 1840's, but has been forgotten. But it's out there, and it's in the book, Toxic Superfoods.

Check out her website. She has a Master's in Public Health. She knows how to research so much better than I.

https://sallyknorton.com/

And her book has changed my life.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-24, 04:53

BF:

From Dr Cate's latest email newsletter:

Quote:
In my last newsletter, I told you about a book I’ve been writing for the past few years called Dark Calories. While writing it, I've changed my mind about who I think is the bad guy in this vegetable oil scam.

Before 2020, I’d always assumed the bad guy was the edible oil industry. After all, they are the ones getting rich off of selling these toxic ingredients. Then, shortly after my May 2020 appearance on Bill Maher, a high-powered lawyer reached out to me with an exciting proposition.

The lawyer was from a top firm that has won billion-dollar suits for their clients. Before seeing me on Bill Maher, she’d considered herself a healthy eater and was shocked to learn about vegetable oils and how unhealthy they are. Once she and her husband started avoiding them, they shed unwanted pounds without even trying, felt better than ever, and full of energy.

All was well…Until she discovered her favorite restaurants were all serving meals loaded with vegetable oil. Every last one.

Those vegetable oil-infused foods at all of her favorite restaurants now threatened to ruin her social life. Steaming mad, she decided to focus her considerable legal acumen on taking down the industry. That was when she reached out to me to brainstorm a strategy. And thus, began what I hoped was going to be a beautiful relationship.

But first, we needed to recruit medical experts to help take down the toxic industry. That’s when we ran into a solid brick wall.

No one with the necessary qualifications to testify as a medical expert was willing to say these oils are unhealthy. Why not? Because they lower cholesterol and that is supposedly a good thing.

We’ve all grown up believing cholesterol is toxic. The current medical consensus paints cholesterol as public enemy number one. So, in order to take down the vegetable oil industry, we would first need to prove that cholesterol is actually healthy. In other words, we’d have to put medical science on trial. A different matter entirely, and rather beyond the scope of a personal injury law firm.

Grudgingly, we abandoned the lawsuit.

Still, the effort had taught me an important lesson about the enormous depth of the problem. The real reason we’re eating vegetable oil is not that it’s cheap. It’s that we’re afraid of cholesterol.

The fear of cholesterol sustains the vegetable oil industry—and in many ways, it sustains the entire healthcare industry. I realized that, if I want to help people to free themselves of these oils and avoid the diseases they cause, I need to help people lose their fear of cholesterol. And to do that, I need to expose the people who have tricked us into fearing this nutrient.

Dark Calories is not just a book. It’s also a wrecking ball that will demolish the giant healthcare industry and the lies we’ve all heard about cholesterol. It will help you recognize the people who are the enemy of good health, and who are, right now, getting away with murder. The legal system may not have the power to take them down. But if enough of us are willing to rebel against their lies, I believe that together we can bring about serious change.
The book is now available to pre-order through the usual booksellers.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-24, 07:45

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I was convinced years ago to stop vegetable oils. Changed out margarine for real butter in mid 1990's but not vegetable oils until 3-4 years ago. The exact year has faded from memory but I remember it was August, late summer, when I removed all vegetable oils from the kitchen.

In the USA,big pharma, big Ag and big businesses have more power than the people. We need to take back our power of the people.

Until then, make good choices. Prioritize health via quality food, moderate exercise and good friendships.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-24, 01:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I adore Dr. Cate and she's also a good writer. Another book I'll pre-order because I'm not buying overpriced fast food
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-24, 01:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I adore Dr. Cate and she's also a good writer. Another book I'll pre-order because I'm not buying overpriced fast food