Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

yossi: I sent you a private msg with my email -- reply to it with your email and I'll ship you some old and recent pics -- nothing that really shows the wt loss (I'm dressed up in the current pics, not in a bathing suit or anything) but they do show overall loss...

sometime I need to get a good after pic and post it here.....

P.S. -- I'm now down to 131 pounds!
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 13:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/149/150
BF:13
Progress: 105%

Ive been taking desert burn for 2 days now, have not noticed any decrease in my appetite or desire for food.. did you have to wait a few days for the effects to set in?
  #228   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 13:14

no, it seemed to kick in right away -- but several people on another forum Desert Burn forum have indicated that it can take 2-3 weeks for the effects to be noticeable....
  #229   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 18:45
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I posted this on that site too, but how many are you supposed to take? Just follow the directions? I have the DB kind, says 6 total, 2 one hour before each meal.
  #230   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 19:43

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/

Urbanzero,
Just take them the way the bottle precribes. I had the Dessert Burn also and I took them the way the bottle said to.
Good Luck!
It does take a couple of weeks to start working, remember this. But, the Hoodia does suppress your appetite!
Brenda
  #231   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 08:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm sort of interested in trying to grow Hoodia. My climate is rather like S. Africa coastal regions. Has anyone seen plants or seeds for sale?

Oops! I just found some information about it. Looks like the best bet is to join a local cactus and succulents society.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Apr-19-05 at 08:39.
  #232   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 08:52

Urbanzero: I noticed in your stats that you haven't much to lose -- and I wonder if that has anything to do with the dosage.

I wanted to lose 30 pounds (wasn't terribly overweight -- 160# at 5'7") and 1 capsule was sufficient for me (taken just as I leave work -- I wanted to eliminate my snacking when I got home -- and it worked). I have lost at the rate of 1.5 to 2.0 pounds per week, which is the rate I wanted -- nothing faster....

A woman I work with wants to lose about 10 pounds -- and she has found that 2 capsules are doing well for her.... (she wasn't heavy to start with, just wanted to get bikini-ready -- however, she lives with teenage sons!).

Another woman that I know is fairly heavy, and she's happy with the 6/day dosage.

I guess you need to get it to start working (i.e., try the recommended dosage of 6/day, assuming you have 3 distinct eating times), then play with the dosage. (I started on a brand other than Desert Burn, and the instructions were rather unclear, so I made up my own!)

Also, I planned exactly what I thought I should eat, then watched whether my appetite exceeded this or not -- and for me, it turned out that the only bad time was the pre-dinner snacking, and when we walk into a restaurant (I always take a capsule as we enter a restaurant -- works beautifully!).

Hope this makes at least a little sense!
  #233   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 11:45
Have A LC Margarita!

BF:

Yes, thanks Bonnie that does help. I am 5'7'' too, and have the same goal as you. I will start off with the recommended dosage and if it works, I may try bumping it down. How many carbs/cals are you eating a day?
  #234   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 11:53

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Default will hoodia spoil or go stale?

i've noticed a drastic reduction in my desire to eat anything since i re-started LC WOE. i had previously purchased some hoodia thinking it would help keep me on the plan. I have not used the hoodia in almost a month. Will it go stale or ineffective if not used within a specific period of time?

I have so little hunger at any time of day now that i have to force myself to eat at all.

What would you folks do with the hoodia? Throw it away? or keep it for possible use someday?

Thanks

Deb
  #235   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 11:55

carbs: 30-50 ECC/day (I'm always in ketosis whenever I check)
calories: <1000/day

I have been following Atkins/Protein Power for many years, but the pounds were creeping up -- decided that I had to cut back on my calories as well as my carbs. So I've gone below what many people recommend -- however it works for me!

I eat a fairly large breakfast (approx. 500 calories). Have a salad or tuna fish for lunch. And then for supper I eat a large salad, then a very small serving of the main dish.

I eat some fruit (strawberries and blackberries), salad vegetables, and as much meat as I can stomach (trying to get adequate protein!). Plus lots of eggs, cauliflower, etc., etc.

I don't get hungry in the late afternoon/evening any more. Apparently my body needs fewer calories than many.

I also exercise regularly and consistently.

When I was a kid, I frequently ate only an apple or a pear for an entire day, sometimes added saltine crackers to this -- so maybe my body got used to working on only a little? I was thin, super-healthy, and super-active -- but I was also a very picky eater and typically threw away the peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich that was my lunch, and poured the milk and cereal down the drain (when Mom wasn't watching) -- and our dog ate LOTS of my suppers! Guess I wasn't exactly a saint!
  #236   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 11:57

Deb: I would keep it, just in case the appetite suppression (which simply never happened for me with low-carbing, guess everyone's different) starts to wane.

If the seal's not broken, then I imagine it'll keep with no problem -- and if the seal is broken, then I would store it carefully and hope for the best!

Good luck!
  #237   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 13:56

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!

Thanks, Bonnie, i'll keep it around for emergency hunger pangs.

deb
  #238   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: MINE
Stats: 125/123/105 Female i dont know
BF:
Progress: 10%

bkm,
Which brand are u using? Gnc sells the source naturals.. I'M NOT QUITE sure if this is the right onE. Please let meknow.

thanx
  #239   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 18:10
Have A LC Margarita!

BF:

Bonnie- It's funny. I noticed I am hungry in the morning, early afternoon, but after that, not hungry much at all. You seem to be having the same effect w/ the hoodia.
  #240   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 14:15

Stats: 281/235/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Hi All,
I've been reading your thread for a week and decided today to go get some Hoodia. The brand I bought is FLORA and I bought it from a health food store here in Vancouver.
Each capsule contains:
Damiana extract, hoodia extract,chamomile extract, Yerba mate extract and green tea.
The dose per the bottle is 2-3 capsules 15-30 min before meals.
What I found interesting was on the bottle it says it helps suppress both physical and psychological hunger cravings.

I've read in past postings that hoodia was not supposed to combat psychological hunger. Maybe mine is magic!

I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all your feedback on how it is working for you