Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 16:36
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Lightbulb Lower Fat Tuna Salad Ideas

I know lots of people here are on diets that allow high fat, but some of us are having to watch the fats as well as the carbs (we just seem to be more sensitive to it, particularly saturated fats). Don't worry, we're talking moderate fat here, not super low! OK? OK!

Those of us who have this issue still want to eat more good fats, like fish oils, so tuna is still a very attractive option. But tuna salad can get boring. So how can you make tuna salad interesting when you are being spare with the mayo? Some ideas to start:
  • use flavored tunas like these
  • use tuna in a salad with vinaigrette
  • use part mayo (or light mayo), and part yogurt or cottage cheese
  • add crunchy things - chopped celery, chopped pickle, slivered/sliced almonds, chopped apple for those who eat fruit
  • add herbs, such as thyme
  • in a similar vein, use flavored oils (herb-infused, etc.) and vinegars instead of mayo
  • add chopped hardboiled eggs
  • use endive slices to scoop salad (that's what I like to do)

What tuna salad recipes do you have? Or chicken salad recipes that might apply to the Chicken of the Sea?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 16:53
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Fat, carbs, alcohol, whatever...I need to be aware of total calories, so I'm a canned-tuna maven.

I'm in London...recently I encountered a Chinese vegetable called "Garlic Scape," which turns out to be divine when chopped very small into a tuna salad. It's like a cross between scallions and chives; about the same size as a scallion, but without the "dragon breath." The effect on the breath is comparable to a large amount of chives.

Not sure how helpful this is, but it's one way I've attempted to relieve my tuna boredom.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 23:08
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
I'm about to experiment with blended Hellman's Light, cottage cheese and maybe a bit of yogurt. Anything so I can have my tuna "wet" without taking a huge calorie hit.

I find a half-and-half combination of Hellman's Light and yogurt works rather well. The yogurt's tang covers up some of the phoney light mayo taste, while the mayo contributes richness and mouthfeel. It's even better with Greek yogurt, of course, and surprisingly enough, that combination is only three more calories per tablespoon than light mayo and regular yogurt. I imagine the cottage cheese would also work well.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 02:02
Brit Happens

Plan: x
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0"
BF:
Progress: 16%

*half-asleep*
Green pepper! Fresh dill! Cubed cucumber!
I sometimes bung in a tsp or 2 of vinegar as well.

Oh and mix it all up in a dish and eat with a spoon- much more satisfying
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 12:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I happen to hate mayo, so I've always made tuna salad with light cream cheese. I like to add either sundried tomato or roasted red pepper dressing. Both of those are made by Kraft.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 15:15
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Lightbulb Also: type of tuna

What kind of tuna do you all use?

I look for tuna in olive oil. Also, those foil packets are good. Do you prefer the white albacore, or what? Water or oil?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 18:35

Stats: 329/315/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Unhappy

Hi..I am new here and reading through the messages.

I use ranch dressing for my tuna. Adds a good flavor too it because I too, hate the taste of mayo. I discovered how good it was when I put a can of tuna in my 2 cups of salad one day. I also put the sf bread and butter pickles, boiled eggs, and onions in my tuna also.

Darlene

Last edited by sweetnsoft : Fri, Sep-10-04 at 18:38. Reason: Didn't put my name on it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 19:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Darlene, I forgot about that one. I like ranch tuna salad, too. That's particularly good with cream cheese.

I use the plain ol' boring 68-cents-a-can water packed tuna.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 18:38

Plan: Atkins-modified diabetic
Stats: 259/259/130 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I always used the cheap-o-cans o' tuna too, but I found my store had white albacore, chunked, into a foilpack, about 8 oz and it is DEVINE. I got 2 for $4. Since I don't eat tuna more than a couple times a month, I don't mind the price. If you prefer a less fish-y taste and haven't tried Albacore yet...this tuna is for you, baby!

What do I do w/tuna? The cheap stuff I like to make patties or hotdishes with but I save the good stuff for eating right out of the package, or I put on a bed of greens, and since I like to UP my fat, I add a drizzle of herb flavored olive oil or Newman's Own Italian dressing (even if I made the tuna w/mayo and stuff) But I don't always use mayo to make tuna mix, sometimes ranch dressing or if I'm doing the lettuce-bed thing I use caesar dressing or just plain tuna but with a shake or two of Old Bay Seasoning or Lemon pepper Mrs. Dash. MMMMmmm.

I miss Italian pasta salads! So I take cold leftover steamed veggies (broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower) and toss tuna (good quality, chunked), olive oil or a vinagrette dressing and fresh grated parmesan, red onion and some sweet green or red pepper, maybe some ripe olives, and you have a sort of neat antipasto. Raw veggies would be okay but kinda hard. If you are going to eat it later then it's okay, toss everything together and let it marinate in the fridge like a deli salad. If you like it Greek, make the olives Kalamatas, throw some marinated artichokes in and and feta cheese instead of parmesan.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 20:40

Plan: None
Stats: 205/205/190 Male 72"
BF:
Progress:

Tuna salad is my personal favourite, and over the years, I found a number of "funny" things go well in it, together...

I go for the white albacore tune, flaked, and packed in water (which I drain, of course!)(why add fat if you don't have to?)

Equal amounts of Miracle Whip and sour cream (yes, thats what I said!) to give the desired salad texture.

A good dusting of fresh ground pepper
Red onion, thinly sliced and finely diced,
About an inch of dark celery stalk, split and finely chopped
About 1/6th of a green pepper, very finely sliced
A "suggestion" of lemon juice
Two drops of Franks Hot Sauce
About 2 tbsp of finely chopped green or black olives

Mix well...

Who needs to put this in a sandwich? Tastes wonderful all by itself...

Family Chef
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 07:00

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I only eat the white albacore tuna packed in spring water. I don't know if you know this or not, ysabella, but "chicken of the sea" is tuna fish. It's not chicken like the name might make you believe. It's just a brand name of tuna like Starkist or Bumblebee. Actually, Chicken of the Sea is my favorite brand of tuna. I usually just make it with some mayo, celery, and onions. Sometimes I get a little adventurous and throw in some relish. They have relish now that has no sugar added. I also like it on my salad with a little fresh parmesan cheese and bacon bits. Of course, a little italian dressing on top also. In fact, I think i'm going to make myself a little salad now......lol.

Patty
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 15:44

Plan: my own
Stats: 180/175/140 Female 5-5
BF:
Progress:
Default Mustard and pickles to spice it up

We use 1/2 mayo and 1/2 djion mustard. One slice of kosher dill pickle (1g carb) and onion in ours. It's pretty flavourful.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 19:16
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%
Default not really a salad

Hi, my grandpa used to make a dish w/Tuna & cream cheese on an English muffin. I was too little to remember what was all in it, but I just take some tuna(canned in water) mix it with a little Helmans mayo(0 carbs) and maybe some green onions, celery salt or celery stalks then put a TBs.(the more the better) of cream cheese on Healthy Life 100% Whole Grain Rye Bread.(5 net carbs per slice) Put some Tuna mixture on top & some shredded chedder(whatever you like) then broil it or toast it in the toaster oven. I do this on 1 slice cut in half. That way it seems like I'm getting more and don't have to use 2 slices, which boot up the carbs! It's not as good as the English muffins but cream cheese and the tuna hot together is a good snack or lunch. Any one ever had anything like this and know what other goodies to add, please let me know!! Thanks!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 19:33

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGale
I find a half-and-half combination of Hellman's Light and yogurt works rather well. The yogurt's tang covers up some of the phoney light mayo taste, while the mayo contributes richness and mouthfeel. It's even better with Greek yogurt, of course, and surprisingly enough, that combination is only three more calories per tablespoon than light mayo and regular yogurt. I imagine the cottage cheese would also work well.

I like the sound of that! I also use low fat salad dressing in tuna salads. Blue Cheese, or Ceasar, or even Ranch along with the mayo. There is a line of dressings etc by Walden Farms that has no fat, no carbs, no cholesterol etc...but the stuff is surprisingly good.

I also use ground black pepper, shredded or crumbled cheese, walnuts, sunflower seeds, celery seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, chopped eggs, dill pickle relish, parsley and scallions in my tuna salads...but not all at once.

I have also tried tuna and Walden farms Thousand island dressing, or a Greek Vinegrette called "Yasou" lightly mixed into tuna with crumbled fetta cheese. This last one I had on a low carb wrap with some shredded lettuce and black olives...

I am considering trying some pesto too.......

Mostly I like tuna, mayo, Ceasar dressing, walnuts, parsley, shredded monterey Jack, wee bit of garlic powder, onion powder and celery (finely chopped)or celery seeds.

Obvuiously you can sub the mayo for lower fat versions, and the same with the dressing. I use very little mayo and use the shredded cheese to offset the watery dressing (face it many low fat/calorie dressings are a wee bit runny.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 22:03

Plan: South Beach/My Own
Stats: 210/160/140 Male 5' 9"
BF:20%/18.5%/15%
Progress: 71%

Thanks for the ideas! I love tuna salad but it just has too many calories when it has all of that mayo.