Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 04:47

Plan: My version of low carb
Stats: 325/284/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default New and have a lot too lose

Hi
My name is Shelle and I just registered on this site today. I am needing to lose at least 160 lbs and I am doing my own version of the low carb way of life. I have only been on it for about two weeks and my husband is also doing this with me. I am unsure of my actual starting weight since the scale does not go over 300lbs but I have estimated my weight at about 320lb. My husband has already lost about 15 lbs and he is not as strict a low carber as I am, he cheats a lot.....lol He always could eat a big bowl of ice cream every night while on a "diet" and lose twice as much as I and I watch every calorie. I guess that is the difference between different peoples metabolism.

I also have sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP at night. I cant wait to lose enough weight to stop having to use that .

I would like to have a buddy that also has a lot to lose like I do.

Shelle

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 05:37

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi Shelle, Welcome to the TDC! You've come to the right place. The folks here are wonderful and so supportive! I am also doing my own thing. I would encourage you to take a look at http://fitday.com to log your food intake. It has really helped me to determine what works and doesn't work for me. Especially to ensure I get the right vitamins and nutrients. I've also read on the boards that men lose faster than women, darn it! LOL! Good luck in your weight loss.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 06:48
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Shelle, welcome! And here is a newbee secret: you now have hundred's of "buddies" to help you along the path to better health! That I promise! Get down? Read thru the journals here. Need a hand with any problem? Even those that have no method of being "communicated" like when you just feel bleeech? Well, many, many people who have traveled the same path as you will be happy to give you any wisdom gained along the path to better health!

Here is a neat thing to keep in the back of your head for tough times: find a couple of two or three folx (male or female) who have about the same amount of weight to lose as you and have managed to get most of it off! I can think of 7 that I emulate...most are female...but all have a journal with the secrets to their success buried deep inside. Hell, they may not even know the "real" information I gain from reading their journal (or you, mine!)...but often a bad day can be diverted by a kind smile or an understanding that others have done the same exact thing with the same exact feelings and I can READ how they made it thru.

You know, there are thousands of folx on these boards who will tell you to read the books! I am one of them! BUT I have read the books repeatedly and I gain far more about how to cope with feelings and attitudes and "bleeech" by being in here with REAL people who share their feelings. And their wisdom. And their knowledge. AND their friendship!

2 quick notes in passing:
1) In accepting the FACT that I AM morbidly obese...I understood I had far too many pounds and too few friends. Every single week that passes now finds me with fewer pounds and more friends. Not bad for a diet, huh?
2) This way of life and way of eating work great! BUT only if you work them! There is NO magic pill even if you will pay $153 a month for it! (saw that on TV this morning!)

Hope your day is blessed and your heart happy!
PS...read the book!

Last edited by MisterE : Fri, Oct-10-03 at 06:49.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 08:23
~ReFINDing Terry~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%
Smile

Shelle, -welcome- I too have a lot to lose, and have found unbelievable inspiration, encouragement, and invaluable information here on this forum! I know you will love it here!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 08:36

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello, Shelle! Welcome to the forum and to the Triple Digits Club. You're in very good company here and if you notice our stats, we're also a bunch of losers!

When you have the time, take a look at the history in this part of the forum. You'll find many useful and interesting threads from way back. And give the "search" feature a try too for subjects that you're interested in. Oh, and don't forget to check out the kitchen area for recipes!

Good luck to you!

Donald
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 10:57
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi Shelle, welcome! This is the right place for you. There are ppl with positive attitudes and a kind word here. The weight loss you are looking for is possible, just read the success stories and you will see.

I kind of wish my wife would follow Adkins too. I consider you fortunate. For me following this way of eating is the easiest part. It's the resistance I get from outside sources that is hardest to deal with sometimes.

Good luck, and welcome again!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:17

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi Shelle,
On diets in the past I have given up when the weight loss got really slow. This time I am determined to keep going and make low carb a WOL. I keep a positive attitude about the good foods I CAN eat and don't worry about the ones I can't. Each person is different in what will satisfy you the most. For me, a hamburger patty (or two) a day seems to keep the blues away!

Diane
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:55

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

Hi Shelle,

I'm fairly new to low carbing myself, but int he short time since the end of July to now I've had great results and wonderful support/tips etc from this forum.

Welcome!

We had a thread a while back about this being a WAY of eating, a WAY OF LIFE. And if you think of it like that, it makes the long run much easier to see and if you slip a bit, remembering this is a long term thing, and getting back on track is the important thing.

I cant tell you how much that advise given to me has helped!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 13:45

Stats: 416/369/185 Male 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi Shelle,
Welcome. There are lots of great people here.
The best thing I have learned from these people is don't give up. Hang in there and things will happen.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 23:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/307/185 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:51%
Progress: 26%

Welcome Shelle!

I too started out with about 160 pounds to lose. So far I have lost a bit over 40. I am focusing on taking it a day at a time, and not thinking about the 160 number, and just on how the weight is coming off.

Good luck, this is a great place to be!

Rena
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5´7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%

HI Shelle and Welcome to the forum. You will find in here so much support that you will not believe it!! Is really like a dream.

Congratulations on your 10 lbs loss! You will soon be feeling really really good!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 08:31

Stats: 400/334/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Shelle, congrats on deciding to take the power away from food and change your life! That's such a huge decision ... and you've already put it into action.
I also have sleep apnea and should probably have a CPAP, as well. Can't wait for the day when I no longer have it, as I know that my weight has been the cause.
We both have a long way to go, but you will find that these boards are completely supportive and encouraging. Keep up the good work!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 08:41

Plan: My own
Stats: 185/179/140 Female 69 inches
BF:no idea
Progress: 13%

Shelly-just wanted to welcome you to this forum. I am also fairly new to this, and let me tell you, you will find all the support and help you need here. Everyone is really friendly and supportive, if you have any questions, just ask. Also, if you haven't already, start a journal to record your daily battles! Have a great day and happy LCing!

Best of luck,
Bella
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 08:54

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

Hi Shelle. It looks like you and are at about the same place right now with about the same amount to lose. I had been fooling around [emphasis on fooling] with Atkins for over a year, but never seemed to have the commitment to stick with it long term. This time, however, I'm making a few changes which have been helpful thus far for me. I write down everything I eat - no exceptions - in the fitday log each and every day. It really keeps you honest and has helped me to evaluate the kinds of foods I'm eating and the relationship to weight loss/stalls, etc. I am also doing a daily journal where I have promised myself to be truthful about what's going on with the low carbing. I'm also looking at myself in the mirror every morning even though it is a hard thing to do. I'm weighing myself once a week unless I cheat so that I don't become discouraged with the amounts lost or not lost on a day to day basis. I've also signed up for the one year TDC challenge and am regularly checking these board for tips and encouagement. Finally, I apart from the one year TDC "challenege" - which I view more as a "membership" than a particular weight loss goal - I've resolved to take this lifestyle one day at a time because in the past I've become discouraged when I failed at a particular weight loss goal within a specific time frame. I know that this lifestyle is something that I can stick to and even enjoy if I work at it. These things seem to be working thus far for me and if you ever need any encouragement, feel free to check in with me. Good Luck! Julie.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 12:46

Plan: low carb
Stats: 370/180/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 86%

welcome welcome welcome too TDC shelle thats great that hubby is low-carbing with you,mine is with me and it makes it sooooooo much easier!! the people here are great and fantastic about answering any questions you may have,i'm sending you woosh fairy vibes

and i know what you mean about hubby losing fast even with cheating,my DH has lost 60 pds so far and we've only been doing this not even 3 months,its just a curse "sigh" men lose faster than women,lol. have a good lc day Tammy