Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 18:52

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default WOW! Strawberry Treat!!!

I'm not big on making sweets or things like that since starting this WOE. Too tempting to go overboard. But OMG, this one was awesome!!! I had to tell everyone about it after trying it. I modified it from it's original. I'm into the strawberry taste, but not the actual fruit in things... Anyhow! Here's the recipe:

1 - 8 oz. package of cream cheese (softened)
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla
10 packs splenda ( I used liquid sweetner and just gave it a splash or two, the jello really makes it sweet enough)
1 cup strawberries fresh or frozen (I omitted this and instead added 1 pkg of sugar free strawberry jello)

I just threw the cream, vanilla and splenda in a bowl and used a blender until it was light and fluffy. Then I added the cream cheese and the jello. Again, whipping it until it was smooth and fluffy. It smells great and definitely tastes awesome! It feels like I'm cheating. This is definitely going to be on my favorites list!

This recipe lists
Prep Time - 15 minutes
Carbs = 20.5g for whole recipe
Carbs/serv = 2.5g
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 17:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Are the carb counts form fitday? It just seems like the count should be higher then that. The cream alone should have over 10g.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 19:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Thanks for the recipe! I am going to try it very soon.

Orchid
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 21:16

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Fitday Carb Count

Ok, I ran this recipe through fitday. I couldn't find any info on splenda on fitday so if anyone knows the carb count for that, let me know!

This is the shakedown:

Cream (12oz) - 10 carbs
Cream Cheese (8 oz) - 6 carbs
Vanilla extract (2tsp) - 1 carb
Strawberries (1 cup) - 11 carbs (using SF jello instead adds only 6 carbs instead of 11)
Splenda ???
-------
Total = 2044 calories
207g Fat
27g Carbs
24g Protein
-------
Totals using SF jello instead of fresh strawberries=
2061 calories
206g Fat
23 Carbs
33g Protein

So the total carb count is 27g, not 20.5 like I stated earlier (excluding splenda) whoops! Hope no one tried it out and went over their limit... but it's 27.5 for the entire recipe which included the strawberries. Cut out the strawberries and use sugar free jello and you cut the carbs to 23g. Sooo, despite the confusion I still think it's a tasty treat and definitely worth the carbs every once in awhile!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 03:27
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Splenda itself is carb free. The packets though have fillers so they generally say add 1g carb for each packet. If you go by that rule, then add 10g more carbs on top of the origional recipe.

I prefer fresh strawberries to jello though. Antioxidents are better then asperteme, even if it means higher carbs I wonder if unsweetened kool-aid would work though. Maybe add some DaVincci or other sweetner to balance the taste a little.

It looks kind of like a cheesecake base. Maybe experiment with it and see if you can make a no bake, or bake cheesecake from it as an occasional treat Just be careful or the kids will steal it all and won't save you any.