Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-20, 13:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Today was the first time I've seen TP in 3 weeks! I didn't take any, since we're okay, but it was off in a corner. Pleased it is showing up again.

I tried delivery this winter, and it went well, but haven't been doing it now. It seemed all processed foods, and booked way in advance. Better leave it for people who really need it. I have a mask and a routine for when I get home.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-20, 19:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Hearing from friends in Florida, senior hours at Costco happen to be the most crowded times of the day. Our friends now go later taking their chances with available stock and have better luck. I now understand Debbie's issues. Costco in my area is wide open during senior hours, so I'll continue to use it as a good source.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-20, 03:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I have the best luck as soon as anything opens. Which requires some reconnaissance, since two of the three places I had to go to yesterday had changed their hours and days.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-20, 07:16

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Hearing from friends in Florida, senior hours at Costco happen to be the most crowded times of the day. Our friends now go later taking their chances with available stock and have better luck. I now understand Debbie's issues. Costco in my area is wide open during senior hours, so I'll continue to use it as a good source.

I suspect a lot of what senior hour is like has to do with the age demographics of where you happen to live. Florida is typically a fall through early spring location for many seniors. Where I live in PA has a huge number of senior apartment complexes, retirement villages, and over-55 housing developments, not to mention those of us who are over 60 who are still working, or retired and still living here. Our Costco is usually extremely busy anyway, so it's no wonder that the place was swamped when I was there for senior hour last week. The extra senior day might help thin out the crowds, so I'll probably drive over for senior hour the next time I need to go there, but if the lot is already as full as it was last week, I'm thinking it might be better to try later in the day, and just hope they still have what I need. That'll be a while though, since I found a couple things that were on my list elsewhere yesterday.

I haven't tried the senior hour anywhere else, except for a quick stop at one of the less busy Dollar Tree stores in the area, and I was one of only about a half dozen people in the store.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-20, 08:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

So far no real problems finding meat. TJ's are fully stocked of most things now, but I tend to get there first thing in the morning and go to the least busy TJ's in town. Costco had a ton of meat, but I had to wait 1 hour in the 8-9am senior line! Oy!

I eat cabbage now instead of lettuce. I adore cabbage salads, and it is well protected by tight fitting outer leaves. I just peel them off. Remember that this virus is only viable for 3 days on most surfaces, less than a day on paper or cardboard.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-20, 09:13

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Remember that this virus is only viable for 3 days on most surfaces, less than a day on paper or cardboard.
Yes I’ve been doing a lot of Amazon ordering. Well I always have done so! I’ve been ordering from amazon since 1996. But my current routine is to carry the box 📦 inside, then go wash my hands, and then wait 24 hours before I open the box. Strange times. 😉
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 07:10

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

One day it will get real - but I still shop in store for food now and then, and keep the grocery pick up option going. The lady to brought out my last order (2 packs of calves liver, saran wrap, two steaks) said you're the first one to get everything they ordered that I've seen.

When ever I enter an establishment, I wear gloves and a face covering. I started removing both carefully upon entering the car so as to not infect the steering wheel or controls. Then there's carrying the bags into the house and I then need duct tape to keep my head from exploding.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 07:29
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I'm a great one for sharing my n=1 experiments.
Short fact sheet:
Female aged 75.
Residence Las Vegas, Nv. Single-family dwelling with attached garage.
Household = 2 + dog.
LCHF since 1972.
Walk at least 3 miles per day for the past 7 years.
No head cold in memory.
Strong immune system with no disease except sometimes seasonal allergies.
Little social interaction but attended local college until everything went virtual.

We never use antibacterial soaps. I'm in my kitchen many times a day, cooking and cleaning so my hands are washed. A lot.

When I go grocery shopping, I wear gloves and mask and use disinfectant wipes only in the car on surfaces touched. I leave my keys in the car along with the boxes of gloves and masks.

I don't disinfect any groceries or bags or delivery containers, but I do put the clothes I wore directly into the washing machine when I come back into the house. Nobody but us has entered our house since March 2nd.

If I become infected, I'll post it here.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 08:37

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

After my disappointing foray into grocery delivery, I decided to try again. We have grub to last at least another ten days, but I wanted to plan beyond that. I decided on a pick-up order at my usual store, and the first date given was next Wednesday. That seemed about right for our needs. We'll see how that works out.

When DH brought home groceries yesterday, I made pan of water with a small amount of bleach, like we used to use for required sanitation at the BBQ competition. I rinsed the vegetables and canned goods, and wiped a few other items. Not much of a swipe at contagion but better than nothing for peace of mind.

We will wear masks if and when we go to any store from now on.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-20, 06:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Off-topic posts removed. Please keep the discussion focused on low-carb/keto and health-related topics. There are many other media and news outlets for discussing death toll reports and who to blame, etc ; we don't need it or want it here.

If you haven't done so yet, we ask that you review our announcement re: Covid-19 discussion at Active Low-Carber forum (posted March 17)

Thanks everyone for understanding, and stay well

Doreen
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-20, 07:27

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Whey hey, my weekly shop at Sainsbury's included an organic free-range chicken, organic beef mince, Naked Bacon (a sulphite-free brand) 97% Heck Pork Sausages (no cereal), organic double cream, Gouda slices, organic butter (and lots of other foodstuffs that shall not be named on a low carb site).

And the pharmacist was wearing a face visor.

Slightly longer wait in the queue to be admitted but the store will close on Easter Sunday, so understandable.

My stress levels shoot up for half the day when I go, even though I am only in there for 30 minutes.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-20, 07:58

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Here in Alberta we are enjoying the best cuts of beef that usually go to restaurants, but are now appearing in grocery stores. I'm waiting until after Easter Monday to go shopping again. Because my meat/poultry/fish are such a condensed form of nutrition, two weeks' worth fits in one grocery bag and nobody questions my purchases.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Apr-11-20 at 08:04.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-20, 08:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

We seem, in our family, to have developed a regular routine with the online ordering approach for groceries and have been fortunate to choose among many low carb whole food options. We use Harris Teeter for a weekly grocery order ordering online one week in advance for express pickup, as they have a store about 2 miles from the house. That is very dependable, but I have to be aware that when the day comes for our "personal shopper" to pick our order, not everything is in stock. I order one week in advance, as that's the soonest I can get a pickup window given the current circumstances.

I also do the same at Wegmans where I can get an order window a few days in advance, so I wait to see what I get out of HT and fill in with Wegmans. I also have gotten a few Whole Foods deliveries through Amazon Prime, and I have always been able to get a same-day delivery if I refresh the screen every 30 minutes or so. As mentioned previously, they will display the message "No delivery windows are currently available. We will be making new windows available throughout the day." This Sunday, I have a pickup window at Wegmans.

This seems to be working and minimizes my out-of-the-house forays, as Virginia is in lock down until early June. I'll continue to make my protein runs to Costco, and I get there for senior hours during a mid-week morning, which is the most convenient time in our neck of the woods. Don't forget that many of the online grocery options include senior discounts or discount codes. Take advantage of those.

We've got a good variety of meat and fish in our freezer to last us for now, and we're taking advantage of the spring weather to grill most of our meals outdoors. My best to all in the midst of this epidemic, as the ideas shared and thoughts expressed here keep things real among people who share a similar journey of achieving health through thoughtful and informed food choices. While I'm aware we're all living in challenging times, being able to visit this forum helps with discovering new ideas and maintaining a sense of humor, which is as important as our food choices given the situation.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-20, 10:05

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
While I'm aware we're all living in challenging times, being able to visit this forum helps with discovering new ideas and maintaining a sense of humor, which is as important as our food choices given the situation.
Ditto that.

I'm making Cabbage Soup today. Our neighbor got a deal on a box of fresh vegetables that a restaurant supplier couldn't deliver. Neighbor gave us a cabbage. This recipe (from DietDoctor) makes a whole lot of soup!

And following up on my earlier post about getting groceries: Our pick-up at our regular grocery store went smoothly. Text upon arrival, and they bring out the bags. I wore a mask. I hope the person who brought out the groceries wasn't too worried about germs on the five bucks I put in her hand. Tiny bit of support for these folks on the front lines.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-20, 13:43
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I'll admit to being concerned about obtaining protein in the coming months. Today I ordered more canned fish through Amazon. Not nearly as much fun as steak, but valuable protein, nonetheless.