Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-19, 23:03
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Exclamation 23and Me Questionnare: Total Cholesterol

Apparently they still don't get it that high cholesterol does not equal heart disease or CAD risk and seem to believe statins are the accepted cure:

https://www.lifeextension.com/magaz...ort_vap/Page-01

I called them out on it. Let's see if they fix it.

They did ask several Q about veggie and red meat consumption though. Nothing about eggs.

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Jan-31-19 at 23:21.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 04:09

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

23and Me - is there where they check your DNA and chromosomes and hormones etc? Doesen't it also give you your APOE number?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 05:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Good for you, Mike_D! I have read other articles that have been helpful, but now it seems they don't do their due diligence.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 05:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This article was written and posted in May 2007. It is all about getting a "VAP" but if you tap on blood test it goes to the common NMR LipoProfile (a Raleigh company). It is Heart Health month, most direct to consumer labs are having specials now. DirectLabs is promoting the newer CardioIQ test.
And as mentioned in the Cholesterol forum, if I were to spend around $100 of my own money, I would have a CAC score done instead. And isn’t Texas one of a few states that requires insurance to pay for that?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-19, 18:56
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
23and Me - is there where they check your DNA and chromosomes and hormones etc? Doesn't it also give you your APOE number?
No, they are one of the pack that does DNA phenotype matching for ancestry and or health. You can access the raw data from your micro-aray and do the health analysis yourself and not pay the extra for health analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gC8RQ7PemM
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 09:29

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Did you know that last June, GlaxoSmithKline purchased a $300 million stake in 23andMe?

http://time.com/5349896/23andme-glaxo-smith-kline/

Scary stuff. This is why I'll never do genetic testing.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 12:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Did you know that last June, GlaxoSmithKline purchased a $300 million stake in 23andMe?

http://time.com/5349896/23andme-glaxo-smith-kline/

Scary stuff. This is why I'll never do genetic testing.

It doesn't matter if a relative does. On the other hand, that is how they caught the Golden State Killer.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 13:51

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

Yeah, no interest in genetic testing here for multiple reasons. I focus on the healthy, more immediate effects of epigenetics in the environment we create for ourselves including food, air, water, physical activity, ample rest/sleep, meditation, and the sincere effort to understand and connect with others.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 14:29

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Yeah, no interest in genetic testing here for multiple reasons. I focus on the healthy, more immediate effects of epigenetics in the environment we create for ourselves including food, air, water, physical activity, ample rest/sleep, meditation, and the sincere effort to understand and connect with others.

Me neither Rob. I see no point in getting my dna tested. I rely on healthy eating and other environmental things to try to optimize my health. I don't really see what genetic testing would add.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 17:08
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I tend to agree with that, but did it anyway. The data matched with the health questions could help in understanding the etiology of many diseases.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 17:10
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Mergers & Acquisitions -- ill have to check their stock price 23 was private, last time I checked.

I think Ancestry DNA might be better due to their collection technique (cheek swabs) and super-computer data crunching.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 18:44
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I did the Ancestry and Health with 23andme because of my acceptance into the Alzheimer's Clinical Trial (EARLY). I learned from it that I'm APOE3/APOE3. This was a relief to me and I was able to share my results with my siblings to allay their potential fears. Our father died of dementia.

I was in the Trial because of my age (72 at the time), my father's dementia and my extraordinary good health. It was comforting to learn that I tested "Variant not detected" for all the scary neurological diseases of old age.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 07:37
Grease is the word!

FYI:

23 keeps your 'data chip' forever so you can 'upgrade' to health from ancestry any time later. Also you can download your "raw data" and analyze it yourself with special software similar to SnapGene or Genome Compiler.

Keep in mind these companies do not "sequence" any of your DNA. They just amplify some fragments of it using PCR, then phenotype it for a set number of genomic markers.

Every company has their own mix of things they check for and computer data bases to match it with.

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Feb-06-19 at 07:49.