Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 09:18

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Dr. Davis on Bagel Brain

Yikes!

https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2019...o-to-the-brain/

Transcript:
Hi everybody, Doctor William Davis here. Why do I call this Bagel Brain? Well, a number of reasons — consumption of modern wheat and closely-related grains have a whole multitude of effects on the human brain — undesirable effects. Let’s talk about them.
You can group the effects that wheat and grains have on the brain into reversible causes (that is, temporary causes, that go away after you stop consuming them), and then there are either poorly reversible or partially reversible, or even irreversible changes in the brain — diseases of the brain that you cannot undo, or only can partially undo.
Screen text:
1. Reversible
2. Partially reversible or irreversible
Let’s talk about the reversible changes. The reversible changes in the brain are due mostly to the gliadin protein and gliadin-derived opioid peptides. Recall, that wheat and grains are the seeds of grasses, and humans simply lack the enzymatic machinery to break down the components of seeds of grasses. That means many of the proteins are either indigestible, like wheat germ agglutinin (completely impervious to human digestion), or only partially digestible (like the gliadin protein within gluten). The gliadin is broken down into four- or five-amino-acid-long peptides (pieces), unlike, say, the proteins of a pork chop, steak, hamburger, eggs. Those proteins are broken down to single amino acids for absorption.
Well, when you eat the gliadin protein of wheat,and related proteins in other grains (like the secalin in rye, hordein in barley, zein in corn), you break them down into pieces, not to amino acids. These 4- or 5-amino-acid-long peptides are able to cross, into the brain, through the so-called blood-brain-barrier, and bind to the opioid receptors in the human brain.What does that do?
Well, in people who have paranoid schizophrenia, it causes paranoia — worsens paranoia, and causes them to hear voices — auditory hallucinations. In children with ADHD or autistic spectrum disorder, it triggers behavioral outbursts, and it abbreviates their attention span. In people who are prone to depression, it causes depression. In people who are prone to bipolar illness, it can trigger the manic phase. In people who are prone to bulimia, or binge eating disorder, it can trigger 24-hour-a-day food obsession.
How about you and me, who might not have those conditions? It “only” triggers appetite. So people who consume grains are prompted to consume around 400-800 more calories per person per day, though sometimes it can be much more, like 1500 calories per day. In other words, gliadin-derived opioid peptides, from the partial digestion of wheat and related grains, are appetite stimulants. That’s why people who consume grains will pile their plates high with food, then go back for seconds, or eating at a buffet, and go back-and-forth back-and-forth, because they can’t get enough. These are people who eat a big plate of pasta — they’re so full their stomach hurts — but they’re still hungry.
That all goes away, by the way, when we’re wheat- and grain-free. So those are the reversible changes, largely due to the gliadin-derived opioid peptides.
Now there’s also a collection of irreversible, or only partially-reversible changes, such as cerebellar ataxia. That’s a condition where the cerebellum, in the back of the brain, that controls functions like bladder control, bowel control, and balance — atrophies. It kind of degrades and it gets damaged, and it atrophies. On an MRI or a CAT scan you’ll see that the cerebellum is shrunken. This results in people loosing balance. They fall. They stumble very readily. They lose control of their bladder and bowels. And they eventually, within a few years, die. That’s a disease of wheat and grain consumption.
It is only partially reversible, because autoimmune conditions of the brain are difficult to turn around, and the brain’s not very good at healing. Typically what happens is, that someone who identifies with cerebellar ataxia from the gliadin protein of wheat and related grains, you stop wheat and grains, and it typically stops getting worse, and you can get partial remission. I have seen cases of complete remission, but most commonly, partial remission. So the key, with cerebellar ataxia, is: identify it as early as possible.
Seizures, can be caused by wheat and grains. The most common form of seizure is what’s called temporal lobe seizures. We often see a collection of calcium in the temporal lobe, by a CAT scan or an MRI. It’s more common in teenagers. When you stop wheat and grains, in this case, you can reverse it. It may take some weeks to months, but those seizures typically stop.Wheat and grain consumption less commonly causes grand mal seizures, also. I have seen a handful of cases where grand mal seizures miraculously stopped, with halting consumption of wheat and grains.
Lastly dementia: wheat and grains contribute to dementia in a variety of ways. Of the two most important ways is something called gluten encephalopathy. This is an autoimmune process, that’s rapidly fatal. The onset of memory impairment (dementia), to death, is on average, two years — a very rapid, aggressive form of dementia. That’s gluten encephalopathy.
A much more common form of dementia is triggered by the high blood sugars, and the body-wide inflammation, triggered by the inflammatory components in grains. The high blood glucose, for instance, causes glycation, that is, glucose modification of proteins, that is irreversible. The various proteins in the brain become glycated. When proteins become glycated, the become ineffective. They become, essentially, debris, and it causes debris accumulation in the brain.
Also, you get insulin resistance in the brain. That’s why you hear people call dementia Type 3 Diabetes.Wheat and grain consumption raises blood sugar, raises insulin, over time generates insulin resistance, you grow visceral fat (a wheat belly), and the increasing insulin resistance, the glycation, all contribute to dementia. Those issues are largely irreversible. Once again, the key, just like cerebellar ataxia, is to go wheat- and grain-free as early as possible in life, so these irreversible changes don’t occur.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 11:25

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

EEKK Dr. Davis does have a way of getting to the point!
If that doesn't scare people straight, IDK what will!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 13:01

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

How I wish I had known this years ago! I used to eat a ton of bread. Even tho it was years ago, I still have memories of my brain simply not working. I couldn't process information - people probably thought I was retarded. It wasn't constant, but it happened way too often.

And the balance thing. I thought my balance problems were due entirely to my previous back problem (which was fixed) & the the knee injury (which is getting better). But I couldn't figure out why I was still having problems with my balance - this may explain why.

I'm going to have to check out Wheat Belly again. Reading it was what helped my husband cut way back on carbs - especially wheat. But now that his heart is making a fuss, this might be a good time for him to re-read it & commit to no grains.

Question - We read the first Wheat Belly (2011). Is the 2nd one - Wheat Belly Total Health - good?

Last edited by Bonnie OFS : Mon, Jan-28-19 at 13:09.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 15:13

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

Have not yet read Wheat Belly Total Health, but just ordered it based on the glowing reviews. Sounds like the book not only reinforces the dangers of wheat consumption, it also outlines additional steps, beyond elimination of grain and sugar, to greatly improve our health. Dr. Davis’ Bagel Brain article has scared me back onto the straight & narrow path, but I think this book will help give me tools & tips for staying there.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 16:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I read Wheat Belly just before Christmas. IT is enoug to scare you straight! But then everyday living resumes..... and breads and pastries, soy sauce and MSG is everywhere.....and very difficult to avoid.

We tried two months of grain free-- nearly impossible. Not giving up, but it takes a big commitment and support.... thank good ness for the support on this forum to keep kicking me ( and my family) in the pants!! lol
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 16:09

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

PS.

After reading Wheat Belly, I have started looking at grains to grow to feed the chickens and ducks, and trying to determine the age of the variety. Seems some issues can be mitigated with using the "OLD" varieties. Determining the status of GMO is very difficult. Have been looking at seed catalogs that claim a GMO free pledge.....

Today saw a program on PBS touting the need for GMO's to feed the world population explosion. No mention of population control. Just listed lots of suitable options to the resultig problems of super growth that is expected: use of solar, coal, wind and GMO's. No mention of bringing back VIctory Gardens. Or why 50% of the population will be living in cities...... think concrete, where already sand is stolen from the murdered farmers literally digging up their fields and harvesting the sand; or the steel which needs 3/4 ton coal to make one ton of steel plus the transportation.....

Producing GMO- free grains for human food will not be an option given the current trends.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 17:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Dr. Davis is the reason I went gluten free. He is very persuasive.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 18:20

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I found his book accidentally at a resale shop. It is the same as Wheat Belly, August 2011 but this version done later (5 months) and is called "Loose the Wheat Loose the Weight", January 2012. It says it was an exclusive direct mail hardcover edition. So they're the same book.
I was already LC but this book made sure I wouldn't even think of going back to wheat.
That was the best 50cents I've ever spent!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Mon, Jan-28-19 at 23:14.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 00:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Nice score, Meme. I'll be watching for a .50 copy or a kindle sale - I was already eating gluten-free before his book came out, and I'm pretty bad for "hoarding" books but never reading them.

I remember being thrilled in Feb '12 (I think it was?) when I flew to Florida and "Wheat Belly" was prominently displayed at the little airport bookstore kiosk near my gate.

I do want to write a testimonial to him nonetheless, and the tl;dr is this: my parents' cat, who previously sent me to the ER with asthma, now lives with me and I am 100% asthma-free. My last puffer of Ventolin expired without being used once. Whadda waste of my $25 deductible.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 02:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I do want to write a testimonial to him nonetheless, and the tl;dr is this: my parents' cat, who previously sent me to the ER with asthma, now lives with me and I am 100% asthma-free. My last puffer of Ventolin expired without being used once. Whadda waste of my $25 deductible.

THAT is amazing results! And I speak as someone autoimmune AND a catlover 😀

I think I screwed up badly when the awful virus was going around last fall and I started eating frozen, gluten free, meals. Not only did this increase my carbs, and my cravings, the ingredients included corn (crose reactor with wheat) and beans.

I think it wasn’t just carbs that kept me low on the Atkins carb ladder. It was also the anti-nutrients in such high carb foods.