Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 20:51
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 154/154/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Metformin for insulin resistence

Hello,

Ijust started taking glucophage today for insulin resistence. Is this drug safe? I've read mixed reports. Also, is there anyone out there taking this for insulin resistence rather than diabetes?

Thanks,
Grandma (to be in May)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 23:52

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Yes, apparently there are. I read several low-carb and diabetes forums and it seems doctors are prescribing metformin for 'pre-diabetes' insulin resistence and PCOD/PCOS sufferers. The drug is quite safe (with very few exceptions). Me personally, I highly recommend Glucophage XR as it doesn't seem to produce the unsavory intestinal side effects that just plain Glucophage/Metformin does. I take 2000 mg right now, but am hoping to be able to reduce the amount as my body does some 'healing' and is able to become more insulin sensitive. Glucophage/Metformin is highly recommended by many of the low-carb gurus out there such as Atkins, Eades, Bernstein...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 08:42
Registered Member

BF:
Default Metformin

Hi KJ,

Thanks for replyong. I'm on the slow release (I guess that's XR). I'm only on 500 mg. though. Do you think I should ask my Dr. if I can take more? I havn't had any side effects with it. I really need help with blood sugar drops, which were happening every 2 hours. Has this helped you with LCing? I've tried everything else & I havn't been able to stay with any program because of my insulin resistence. This seems like my last stop! By the way I'm 54 yrs. old and have about 15-20 lbs. to lose. I've gained 10 lbs. just this year trying to do LC, unsuccessfully.

Thanks again,
Grandma (to be)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 09:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/280/135
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Metformin

I have a niece who takes metformin for PCOS. She was only able to conceive after beginning metformin. She has been told that she suffers from insulin resistance and will eventually become diabetic. Her doctor talks as if it is not a case of "if" but a case of "when".

She is nursing now and cannot take this drug, but she is anxious to begin taking it again. It helps her lose weight.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 09:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default metformin

I'm also 54 and insulin resistant/diabetic - just found out in August. I started low carb last January and immediately lost about 10-12 pounds and then nothing for about 7 months. I started metformin, 500 mg twice a day, about the middle of August. It took about a month before I could see that the metformin was working, along with diet and excercise. I then started losing weight! Give it several weeks and you will see results.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 11:16
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Hi again,

You have all given me such hope today. I was wondering how long it takes to begin working. I exercise regularly (have for 5 yrs) but still not able to lose. I couldn't stay on any program due to severe insulin resistance. My daughter has PCOS but I didin't have any trouble conceiving. I'm very hopeful that metformin will work. I'm only on 500 mg, which sounds like it may not be enough. Should I ask my Dr. about increasing to 1000 mg?

Thanks again and bless all of you! This is an insidious and tormenting disorder. I have been struggling with this all my life and have just now come to understand what was wrong with me. I have never been able to metabolize carbs properly. Thank the Lord for all of these researchers, the internet and all of you!

Blessings always,
Grandma (in May)

P.S. This is the daughter that has PCOS, so I'm very thankful that she was able to conceive. She had fertility treatments to do so. She couldn't take Matformin but I'm going to tell her about the slow release type that I'm on.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 15:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and South Beach
Stats: 232/189.8/150 Female 60 inches
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 51%
Default Great Timing!

After two weeks of testing my BG four to six times a day, I went to the doc with the results and he prescribed Metformin! It was interesting to see the daily BG averages decline after Day 8 when I stated low-carbing!

I am to take 1/2 a 500mg tablet at bedtime for a few weeks and then check again to see if my fasting BG is back in target range. I'll increase the dosage if it is not working.

So nice to hear that this is the one drug that does not cause weight gain in diabetics. I am 63 and have been fighting this weight thing all my life! In other times I would have been diagnosed as having PCOS and insulkin resistant. We've come a long way.

Good luck to us all - but rely on skill!