Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How Has Being At Home More Affected Your Compliance?
It's been easier. 14 40.00%
About the same. 10 28.57%
It's been harder. 10 28.57%
Not applicable to me/no vote 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-20, 15:02

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

We two retirees are doing well. We miss our usual social and community activities, naturally. But we're happy as homebodies together. I'm the cook, and DH eats whatever it is--low-carb for me, with additions for him.

We are buttoning down even more. DH made a trip to the grocery today--the first since 3/13--and stocked up for at least the next two weeks. We hope more. The only thing we miss is fresh leafy vegetables, which can't be kept for very long in the fridge. I've got frozen broccoli as back-up. But I foresee an increase in meat and cheese dishes with no green sides.

Our state, Missouri, is one of those benighted places where the governor refuses to issue a state-wide stay home order. Luckily, Kansas City urban core has an order from the mayor. But people are being a bit casual about it, I think. And the statewide data on the disease is not looking good.

I have a stack of recipes I like. However, part of the fun is figuring out something new to do with ingredients on hand. I put ingredients in a search engine (eg. avocado and mayo) or I go to Diet Doctor--a whole bunch of easy recipes that are really, really good.

Tonight? Taco Soup, with pork rinds and spicy dip on the side. Pork rinds are
great to actually drop into some kinds of soup. Even just in a cup of hot broth. At first they are crunchy and then they turn into "noodles." Very filling.

Stay home. Stay well.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-20, 20:40

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

One major change that this "lock down" has made for me is that I am making a much greater effort to eat from the freezer, fridge, and pantry. Where I might have run into the supermarket, since I was in town anyway, now I don't go into town so the option never presents itself. I haven't left the property in almost 2 weeks, and don't envision needing to for another week or so, assuming the eggs last that long :-).
I just set some seeds in the sprouter so we'll have a bit of "fresh" in a few days, though cabbage, celery, green onions, carrots, avocados are still residing in the fridge.
My introvert self is actually not at all unhappy with my situation - talking about myself here, not the anxiety and fear for the country and the world, and all the many, many people not as fortunate as I am -; we will see in a a few weeks whether cabin fever has even affected me. :-)
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 03:58

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Both my husband and I have hermit tendencies so we are not suffering psychologically. He is over 70 and on heart meds, so we have decided he is grounded for 12 weeks.

I am following the general UK lockdown, which means 1 solitary walk a day from my house, and essential shopping only. This I have decided for me means a weekly visit to Sainsbury's. When I go on Saturday morning there is no queue, and not too busy. Fellow shoppers are pretty good about the 2 metre rule, but some of the staff stocking shelves and picking for online orders could do better. They have installed perspex screens at the manned checkouts since last week, only alternate checkouts are working, so you don't bump into the cashier behind while trying to distance from yours. I wear my snood, disposable gloves, and carry sanitizing wipes.

They seem to have everything they normally stock, bar hand sanitiser, so I can get fresh meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, cream, fruit and veg.

I will miss going to the farmer's market for my organic grass-fed meat. Even if they hold it, it is a 60-mile round trip and the police will not deem it essential. Also the only organic chicken I see is skinless breast fillet, no whole chicken or legs with skin.

So foodwise, not much change and I am keeping to my time restricted eating.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 05:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I have perfected my cheesecake recipe! Except for daily chocolate squares, I have been doing well and I just don't bring temptation in.

By this time, DH, vulnerable by age and health status, is resigned to not getting out and about, but we have a nice little yard to sit in once we get past frost season

I was driven to a few more errands than I would like because we were running out of clothes and our special dry cat food, which (in typical mountain fashion) is sold from the same place, and DH needed prescriptions filled. I have a mask, gloves, and am strict about social distancing.

Generally, except for curbside service where they put the stuff in my car for me, I come home, put my external clothes away where DH does not go, take a shower, and get into fresh jammies. I wash hands continuously when preparing food.

All of this is designed to break the chain of infection.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 08:45

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

We are both unemployed due to the plague, and probably will be for 7 months. And back to work only then if it's done by then. The governor banned live music in early March.

I'm at home with my wife, and we get along so well 24/7 isn't enough time to spend together.

I live in a tiny cottage on a half-acre that I planted small trees all over in 1990, they are large now. We bought it on a 15 year mortgage so we don't have house payments.

We have always lived below our means so other than small car payments, we have zero debt (if we can't afford to pay for it, we don't buy it). We may have fewer possessions than if we bought on credit, but we are free.

The only time we worry about social distancing is when we go out every couple of weeks for more provisions (perishable food).

When I think about the people who are still working, risking their health to supply us with food and necessities, I am thinking I may be lucky to be among the unemployed.

So here is a big "Thank You" to those people taking care of us - I hope you come through this with money in the bank and perfect health.

Bob
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 11:20

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Almost a wash, but it tends to be easier for me. More focused on what I buy - and this situation coincided with my education on the variations of the carnivore diet - so carbs have been going down and I'm more mindful with respect to meal planning.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 11:36

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

It's been pretty easy and I am pretty much eating as I always do, minus steak meals at restaurants. I wonder if it will get harder and harder as supply chains break down with more people sick? I am used to exercising in the pool and that's out now, of course. So, I continued with my running program and expanded it. I haven't run much since I tore my calf in 2016 but rehabbing a nerve injury in my foot (from catching my foot on a drain jumping into the pool) is having a side effect of helping with the running. I am still working at my day job but I'm an apprentice not a lead so my duties are very minimal. Just fighting the urge to go to sleep later and later every day...
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 12:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think shopping will likely become more of a pain in the butt with restrictions, but at least that should keep shelves from being empty from hoarding.

I'm almost out of heavy cream. When I buy my usual two week supply--if I can, so far that hasn't been any sort of issue--I'll probably look like I'm hoarding it.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 12:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yesterday I was just feeling an urge to *make* some sort of food, so I made these DietDoctor keto rolls:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

They came out purple as I knew they would, because of the psyllium fiber I used, but it doesn't affect the taste at all. 2G net carbs per roll if you make 6 as per the recipe. I had one for dinner last night with chicken salad, and one for lunch today with bacon.

My sweet tooth has been abated quite a bit but was nudging me yesterday and I made this fudge, also from Diet Doctor:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/...chocolate-fudge

My DiL had just brought me a liter of heavy cream so I was set for the recipe. I used Lily's stevia-sweetened chocolate chips for the chocolate. Yummy! I had some for dessert last night and the rest have gone into the freezer.

I made a couple more masks for my DiL yesterday, and I created a "fairy house" from an unpainted decorative bird house that I had. Sounds like I did a lot.

I should make some masks for myself too. I still have plenty of fabric and elastic. So far I've just been giving masks away to family members. I haven't been to a store in nearly three weeks so haven't felt a need for a mask, but good idea, I imagine, to have a few.

Primarily back to Carnivore again now, except for the four remaining keto rolls.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 12:49

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
My resolve is also made firmer by the crisis. Because the latest news about the people getting hit the hardest is all about metabolic dysfunction indicators (high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiac issues, stressed immune systems) that go along with the SAD.

Southern states, whose populations tend to have more population with these challenges, are losing people at younger ages than we've seen before.

Interesting observations, and so true! I ate more carbs yesterday and found myself with a bit of congestion this morning, we've known for a long time that the carbs make colds, sore throats, congestion worse.

I'm finding it harder not because of mostly staying home, which has been my lot for awhile anyway, but because of the shrinking availability of meat. We have stocked up on beans and corn and we have plenty of oatmeal (I eat the oatmeal every day but beans and corn are no-nos.) The beans and corn are bad for my leaky gut, along with bread, pasta etc.

My brother brought home fried chicken the last few days, which is not good for ANYBODY!. ...I thought about removing the skin and washing it off......I'm not sure how my leaky gut would react, but I could try it. I just didn't eat any.

He shouldn't be out doing the shopping anyway, he is on chemo for bladder cancer. We tell him not to go but he does anyway. He occasionally brings home something he got a great deal on from driving through a fast food place: Like a kids hamburger and kids fries. I am letting my sisters have that if they want, anytime I eat it I end up binging.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 12:51

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama

So here is a big "Thank You" to those people taking care of us - I hope you come through this with money in the bank and perfect health.

Bob

Amen to that!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-20, 07:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Yesterday I was just feeling an urge to *make* some sort of food, so I made these DietDoctor keto rolls:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

They came out purple as I knew they would, because of the psyllium fiber I used, but it doesn't affect the taste at all. 2G net carbs per roll if you make 6 as per the recipe. I had one for dinner last night with chicken salad, and one for lunch today with bacon.

My sweet tooth has been abated quite a bit but was nudging me yesterday and I made this fudge, also from Diet Doctor:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/...chocolate-fudge

My DiL had just brought me a liter of heavy cream so I was set for the recipe. I used Lily's stevia-sweetened chocolate chips for the chocolate. Yummy! I had some for dessert last night and the rest have gone into the freezer.

I made a couple more masks for my DiL yesterday, and I created a "fairy house" from an unpainted decorative bird house that I had. Sounds like I did a lot.

I should make some masks for myself too. I still have plenty of fabric and elastic. So far I've just been giving masks away to family members. I haven't been to a store in nearly three weeks so haven't felt a need for a mask, but good idea, I imagine, to have a few.

Primarily back to Carnivore again now, except for the four remaining keto rolls.

Interesting. What does the psyllium fiber do? Can I substitute another form of fiber? Ground sunflower seeds, maybe? Because I have those.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-20, 08:09

BF:

UPDATE TO above:

Chia Seeds will work. I think I have those. SWEET. And I just found the ceramic blade coffee grinder I bought on impulse when it was one of those daily deals like, years ago.

Pinky: Gee, Brain. What are we going to do tonight?

The Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to make low carb treats.

#29   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-20, 10:11

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
UPDATE TO above:

Chia Seeds will work. I think I have those. SWEET. And I just found the ceramic blade coffee grinder I bought on impulse when it was one of those daily deals like, years ago.
I think I've heard ground flax seeds can work too. I actually do have chia seeds around, but since I had the psyllium I used that. I avoid flaxseeds because of their estrogenic properties. I might have to try the recipe one time with chia and see how that comes out.

I took two of the keto rolls this morning and sliced them up thin, as if making slices of bread, and then used them as bread, along with butter, Canadian bacon, and cheddar cheese, to make grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches! They came out super. My cousin made me a big bowl of her homemade salsa the other day (primarily tomatoes) in exchange for the 10 cloth facemasks I made for her and her family, so I took a small bowl of the salsa, which I had with my grilled cheese sandwiches.

When I was a kid one of the "comfort" meals my mom and dad used to make occasionally on cold winter days, was grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Of course the soup was typical canned Campbell's tomato, the bread was standard white bread, the cheese was pre-sliced American, the "butter" was probably margarine. But we liked it.

And what I had today tasted similar and fantastic and was considerably healthier.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-20, 10:45

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Too close to the fridge. At work I can distance myself. And the stress is making me want to snack.