Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-14, 14:42

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

hmmm bet Thai would be good too in a chicken version...I have red curry
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-14, 07:44

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Judy, I'd love to see the Indian & Italian variations!

I've tried several variations but keep coming back to the main one (on www.crackslaw.com)

This is one of my staple foods - it freezes well and I don't get tired of it, I eat it for lunch more days than not...

I do try to replace some of the cabbage with bok choy - lowers the carb count a bit and ups the leafy greens...
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-14, 07:52

BF:

So nice to know it freezes well !!!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-14, 10:01
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisMama
Judy, I'd love to see the Indian & Italian variations!

I've tried several variations but keep coming back to the main one (on www.crackslaw.com)

This is one of my staple foods - it freezes well and I don't get tired of it, I eat it for lunch more days than not...

I do try to replace some of the cabbage with bok choy - lowers the carb count a bit and ups the leafy greens...

While I don't have my recipes written out all nice and neat, I can tell you that the Indian one got Garam Masala seasoning one time and curry on another. I always use lots of crushed garlic and crushed red pepper flakes.
The Italian one got tomato sauce and paste, oregano, basil, garlic , crushed red pepper flakes and anything else I can think to put in for that flavor. I always use a fair amount of onion in all these dishes.

Bok choy is a nice idea!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-14, 18:58

BF:

OH MY GOD! I will be making this at least 2 times a month!!! Easy, Cheap, and oh so very good! yay!!!!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 02:45

BF:

Thanks, Judy, I'm an intuitive cook so that's enough for me to go on...

Sunny, I make a HUGE batch of this, and freeze. I use a big bag of baby bok choy (no idea the weight of it, it's from the Asian grocery and sold in a bag), and usually half a small red cabbage, then onions (scallions if I have them, regular onions if not) and 2 pounds of ground beef. Grate lots of ginger and garlic into it too, and season. If I have any greens on hand that need to be used up I throw those in too (spinach, kale, radish leaves, etc) I then portion it out into 8 servings and freeze many of the portions (the ones I won't eat in the next couple of days).

When I first started making it I kept it in one giant tub but I would serve myself seconds... and huge portions, and all those cabbage carbs add up after a while. Now I find that one portion is fine to "satisfy" me - I'd still eat more than that if I was eating from a big container.

I have this for lunch usually 4-5 times a week, or maybe a quick dinner if my DH is working late or traveling... It's my "fast food". I also make ahead and freeze low carb/paleo meatballs, but with those I need to forage for veggies to go with it so they are not quite as easy.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 06:59

BF:

I totally "get" the name now....and I will definately double the recipe and freeze as suggested. And YES PORTION CONTROL....oyyyyy! I made the mistake of tasting it first when I was plating it. And so easy! This will DEFINATELY be a staple in my home now! I will be spending time in the "Quick Meals and Snacks" section and look for those meatballs
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 07:25
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisMama
Thanks, Judy, I'm an intuitive cook so that's enough for me to go on...

Sunny, I make a HUGE batch of this, and freeze. I use a big bag of baby bok choy (no idea the weight of it, it's from the Asian grocery and sold in a bag), and usually half a small red cabbage, then onions (scallions if I have them, regular onions if not) and 2 pounds of ground beef. Grate lots of ginger and garlic into it too, and season. If I have any greens on hand that need to be used up I throw those in too (spinach, kale, radish leaves, etc) I then portion it out into 8 servings and freeze many of the portions (the ones I won't eat in the next couple of days).

When I first started making it I kept it in one giant tub but I would serve myself seconds... and huge portions, and all those cabbage carbs add up after a while. Now I find that one portion is fine to "satisfy" me - I'd still eat more than that if I was eating from a big container.

I have this for lunch usually 4-5 times a week, or maybe a quick dinner if my DH is working late or traveling... It's my "fast food". I also make ahead and freeze low carb/paleo meatballs, but with those I need to forage for veggies to go with it so they are not quite as easy.

Ahhh, you cook like I do.
That's a great idea to store it in small containers. I was using the 3 cup containers for freezing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny
I totally "get" the name now....and I will definately double the recipe and freeze as suggested. And YES PORTION CONTROL....oyyyyy! I made the mistake of tasting it first when I was plating it. And so easy! This will DEFINATELY be a staple in my home now! I will be spending time in the "Quick Meals and Snacks" section and look for those meatballs

Yup! I hear ya on the portion control aspect of this very tasty dish.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 07:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Ahhh, you cook like I do.
That's a great idea to store it in small containers. I was using the 3 cup containers for freezing.

Yup! I hear ya on the portion control aspect of this very tasty dish.

3 cups is 1 or 2 servings? I didnt measure my first time around ....
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 08:19
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDinCA
3 cups is 1 or 2 servings? I didnt measure my first time around ....

I've used 2 servings from a 3 cup container. I try to stretch it to more but haven't been successful. oink!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 09:36

BF:

I divide it into 8 portions using a ladle, knowing I've used 1 kilo (2 pounds) of ground beef, so each portion has 4 oz of meat, and then whatever that is in veggies each (I've never actually made it exactly the same twice, I use what I find at the market, what looks good, etc.)

I freeze as many single serving portions as I can, and usually several that are double-portions but then it's easy to divide that in half when I am eating. Any more dividing than just in half is asking for trouble... But of course I now know what one portion usually looks like in the bowl I usually eat it from... and I often also have a serving of bone broth soup at the same meal, that helps fill me up too.

The meatball recipe I use I found online somewhere else, not on this site. I started following a crazily restricted "autoimmune paleo" diet in March and many spices and eggs were out, so these are meatballs that meet the AIP criteria (with enough salt & garlic anything can taste delicious, though!). Here's the recipe I use... but I add a ton of garlic (and whatever fresh herbs I have on hand too). I also usually do half beef, half pork.

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com...thy-1-menu.html
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 10:17

BF:

going to 99 cent store after work today....fingers crossed they will have decent tupperware there today. Will look at the meatball recipe later. I've NEVER been so excited about cooking in my 43 yo life!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 11:17

BF:

OH MYYYYYYY.....its time for another triple batch!
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-14, 15:40

Plan: lo-carb, atkins
Stats: 202/195/130 Female 5ft. 1 1/2inch.
BF:
Progress: 10%

Oh!! I tried it! I'm hooked. My hubby even liked it. It seemed a little dry so we added to our serving about 2T of salsa and I added to mine 2T of heavy cream. WOW was it good. Lots of flavor, satisfied our hunger. Making it again for supper tonight.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-14, 18:04

BF:

Hi Forsythia. This is THE best! I always make a triple batch, at least once a month. It is so convenient too for when you are in a hurry ... even for work. throw it in your bag and micro it at lunch time. I will NEVER tire of the basic recipe.

And the nutrition values are priceless!