Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 19:38

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Here's a basic Collard green cook I did a week ago. You're milage may vary.

Ingredients:
A couple bunches of Collard greens
Onion
Garlic
Bacon grease
Somked Ham Hoc
Vinegar
Salt
Dried Thai chili flake
Hot Sauce (I like La Valentina x hot)

So There a couple of way to go, with stems or without. This time I got so many greens that if i used the stems they would not fit in the 5L pot. I like the stems/ribs a lot, they are kind of sweet.

The way I prepare the green is to fill up a huge sink and soak and wash them under the water. The store bought greens around here don't have much dirt so it might be a bit over kill. Next stem the leaves. Keep or discard stems. Layer leaves on cutting board stacked maybe 5-8, roll them up and cut into circular strips. One inch or less works for me. Set the cut greens in a large container. Chop up the stems if you are going to use those.

Start the Instapot on saute mode add some type of fat. I like to use bacon drippings. Add stems and get those going till you think you should add in the onion and garlic. I also toss in a lot of Thai chili. Saute away. the pot is pretty hot so I use low or medium setting.

I add in the hocks or other kind of pork thing into the mix and roll it around for a bit. Next, pack the greens into the pot. Leave a little room at the top. The greens will not expand but this is recommended.

You can add hand fulls of greens and sprinkle salt as you go. I kind of just wait till they are all in and then blast salt on them. I then add hot sauce over them.

Then comes the tricky part of adding liquid. In the begining I always seemed to add to much. The greens have a bunch in them. So what I now do is mix up some vinegar and water. I normally use less than a cup and I like a LOT of vinegar, like half and half in an 8oz cup. You can always add more vinegar after and that probably a smarter thing to do.

So you add the liquid over the top and try to drive down the salt and hot sauce thru the greens. That's it!

I stop the saute mode and switch to "manual" and high pressure for 30 mins or so. It make pretty mushy greens. You should experiment with shorter times if you like really firm greens. So go for maybe 15-20 mins and quick release the pressure and take a look and feel of what's happening. Close it back up if you think you need more cooking.

I never had these before about 2 years ago. I bought bunches many times but chickened out cooking them and the greens wilted and were tossed. Now they are one of my favorite sides and can be even be a main meal with all the pork (or other meat) and fat that you can add.

Here's some I did a few days ago, not a great picture but they are delicious to me Good luck and ask question and I will try to answer. I also made some coconut beef that was good and I wrote up some stuff and will post after this.

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 19:53

BF:

Kind of a Thai inspired chuck roast in the Instapot. You can do your carb counting as you add ingredients and add more or less of things as you like. Below are some ideas and pictures. Let me know if you have any questions. I really like the Instapot. There are always things in my refrigerator that are used for warm up meals.

====
a few pounds of chuck roast
onion
peppers (bell or jalapeno, habanero, whatever you like)
ginger
garlic
Dry Chili
coconut milk
curry paste
fish sauce
vinegar

cut up beef into chunks and sear in cooker or separate pan or both; remove. save any drippings

saute onion, peppers, ginger and garlic in cooker. Drop meat in when you like

take a table spoon or so of some thai curry paste (optional) and mix into cup of coconut milk (Aroy-D) 2 ingredients - coconunt and water

Add mixture to pot along with some fish sauce and vinegar and dry chili to pot and mix with meat a bit

turn off saute mode and switch to "manual" on the instapot and set for 30 mins. Kick back and do dishes or somthing useful ;-)

This time I did a quick release. I removed the beef from the pot and let cool on plate.

Turned on the Saute function to low or medium and reduced the remaining liquid.

After the beef cooled I coarsely pulled it...

Turned off the pot after the liquid had reduced (you be the judge) at this point i decided to put the shredded beef back in but if you were a sane person you might want to let the mixture cool and collect the fat. In any case, it tuned out good, reall good! This is a way to make stuff up on the fly. I've made plenty of mistakes but they've all been edible and I've learned from each one.

Happy Instapot-ing!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 12:07

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

wow, thanks for writing out your recipes, they look awesome! will give them a try for sure. we like the spicey, savoury foods, so i'm sure your recipes will be a hit around here.

i'm also a big fan of the aroy-d coconut milk, it's the only kind we buy. Last winter there was some kind of shortage, and all the local stores were out of it for months. this year i stockpiled some just in case.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 14:21

BF:

Walnut, I'm glad you like. I've been photo journaling stuff that I've made since starting keto 3 months ago. I took these pictures to remind myself of things. I don't really write any recipes down so that kind of sucks if I get lucky and make something good. Luck of the draw. You might find these helpful, most of the stuff that DOESNT look like it was stir fried might have been made in the instapot. Lot's of the meat and all of the collards for sure. here you go and I'll answer any questions if you have them:

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/keto1-28/

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/keto29-56/

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/keto57-84/
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 19:56

BF:
Default Instapot Bone Broth

I filled up a bag of bones and started this tonight. I filled to just a bit below the full line and added some garlic, ginger, thai chili, salt, and more chili. Set on Manual for 120 mins and we'll see what we get. Bones were a mixture of chicken, pork, beef and shrimp shells. Here's picture before the lid went on:

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/keto85-112/Pages/42.html

Happy Instapot-ing!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 13:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think a lot of paleo/low carb blogs have instant pot recipes. Here's one! http://predominantlypaleo.com/insta...garlic-chicken/

BTW: Using mine a LOT right now!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 09:05
Experimenter

BF:

#23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-16, 08:50

Plan: Keto
Stats: 245/230/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I've used mine for both pressure cooking and the slow cooker option though I'm not a big fan of slow cooker recipes in general. Bone broth is fantastically quick though.

What I have enjoyed, is using it to make yogurt from cream (18%) and crème fraiche (using whipping cream). Difficult to estimate carbs though...
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-16, 08:58
Experimenter

BF:

I would have though it would be too hot for making fermented dairy products. How do you accomplish that?

I would use my sous vide for that though.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-16, 10:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I would have though it would be too hot for making fermented dairy products. How do you accomplish that?

I would use my sous vide for that though.

There is a "yogurt" setting on the machine. I've never used it and would be interested to find out more. Here's another Instapot creation from a few days ago. I've never had goat before but it was crazy good. A one pot meal. I'm planing on putting together the process photos if anyone is interested. Here's the final result: Curry Goat!

#26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-16, 07:27

Plan: Keto
Stats: 245/230/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

For yogurt - I followed the instructions here: http://www.tidbits-cami.com/2015/09...ade-yogurt.html

A couple of tips:
- you don't need to make gallons - I did my last batch with a 1 litre (4 cups) of cream right in the pot (some recipes have you do it in jars on a steamer rack - too much work for me!)
- you don't need milk powder to thicken it.
- you will need a good thermometer to catch the cream at 115 degrees when you cool it down before adding the yogurt. I have a thermopen that I adore but it is an investment.
- the longer you run the yogurt cycle (i.e. after the boil and cool down), the thicker and tangier your yogurt will be. You can run the "yogt" cycle again. The benefit is that those happy little bacteria will munch more of the sugars in the milk/cream. I'm not a chemist, but I would think that means fewer carbs!

So I had quite a bit of luck with 18% cream with just one cycle though next time I'll do 2. For whipping cream, I ran two cycles but next time I think I'll do three (24 hours).

Good luck!

Edited to fix stuff!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-16, 08:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Wow, I'd love to eliminate an appliance and use this instead of having a separate slow cooker and yogurt maker. If my current crock pot dies (probably never ) I might replace it with one of these and ditch the yogurt maker.

I haven't even made yogurt in ages. If anyone is curious, there are several old yogurt making threads. Here's one with my recipe. I can't find the other thread I'm thinking of, but NancyLC shared a cool food chemistry link in which someone from one of the big dairies explained why (if you look at my recipe) they hold it at about 180F for 20 minutes or so for a thicker yogurt. The proteins start to change shape and gel together or something like that. It worked well for me - worth the 20 minutes of stirring/removing the pan from the stove briefly/babysitting.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-16, 10:03
Experimenter

BF:

I thought it was 185', Kristine. Hmmm... now I need to find it again!

Yes, it is 185!

http://www.makeyourownyogurt.com/ma...urt/heat-to-185

http://www.usu.edu/westcent/microst...food/Yogurt.htm

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Feb-05-16 at 10:11.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-16, 12:15
Experimenter

BF:

Does my IP have a yogurt button? Huh! I'll have to go look at it again.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-16, 20:00

BF:

Just had a bit of a bone broth made with the InstaPot again. This one was a bit simpler than last time. A little less than a gallon of assorted bones and shrimp shells. Put into pot, added some salt, pepper flake, couple cloves of garlic and vinegar. Filled with tap water to just a little bit under the "Max Fill" line in the pot and set to Manual and HIGH for 120 mins, natural release for 30 mins then I could wait no longer, It's gonna be good, it's got that "jiggley" consistance even super hot. BONE JELLO!

Bones:

Happy Instapot-ing