Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-20, 10:59

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Oh, yeah. Florida. Home of the growing Burmese Python population. Any of those in your backyard? Yes, mosquitoes can be deadly. I wonder what their function is in the planetary ecology? Reducing the human population could be one of them.

I'm also Type O. O neg in fact, which is the universal donor type. I try to do my duty at the Community Blood center.

I'm not especially nervous about snakes, but some family members are. When we go to the wilderness (more or less) in Canada, I try to discourage the killing of the harmless snakes we encounter there. But for some people, being surprised by a snake causes quite a panic.

Carry on!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 08:51

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

No invasive pythons that I've seen here, but I've seen too many of them when I go out to the Everglades.

They are actually beautiful beasts.

Coyotes have migrated here, and the rabbit population has suffered. I used to have them in my yard quite often, haven't seen one in years.

On the reefs we have invasive Lionfish from the Pacific with no predators displacing a lot of the native fish.

I think both should be considered a delicacy. We humans have a habit of maning things good to eat extinct.

I'm just a couple of miles north of the Green Iguana invasion, but with climate change I suspect it will be a year or two before they get close. Their diet is mostly plants but includes bird eggs, which is not good for the local population that evolved without iguanas.

The Caribbean immigrants that live here eat the Iguanas, and call then "Chicken of the Trees" but not enough to keep their numbers down. The general population hasn't warmed up to them on their plate.

We have little Philippine and Mediterranean Geckos here that help keep the insect population in control.

I planted a lot of citronella grass and lemon grass near the entries to my house, and I rarely get a mosquito inside. Unfortunately for those 'up north' neither of these plants can be grown much north of me because a frost will kill them.

I live between a 2 mile wide brackish lagoon and a protected wetlands, so I'm lucky enough to get a lot of wildlife on my little half acre in paradise.

I donate some of my O+ blood a couple of times a year. It just feels like the right thing to do.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-21, 22:14

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

I have been IF for as long as i can remember. It's what has always felt natural.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-21, 15:38

BF:

I'm jealous

I do IF and never get over being hungry. But I lost an additional 10 pounds and now have a normal BMI so I do it anyway.

Bob
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-21, 10:09

BF:

Back at the forum after a regrettable absence, I'm surfing threads that look interesting. It's always amusing to happen upon myself in them, giving opinions and advice I should have heeded!

The newest thing here upon my return, is "higher protein"--discussed in other threads. As an older person (75 this month) it's probably something I'll be looking at.

Meanwhile, two effective measures six weeks in:
--Zero alcohol (always my worst temptation)
--lower fat (as in 0 fat Greek yogurt, no cream, moderate butter and oil)
--more water (I've discovered "essenced" soda water until somebody tells me it's deadly!)

As ever, it's a bit discouraging when the BMI charts put me at "obese" when I look like a perfectly "normal" person in the mirror. I think in most weight management discussions, too little attention is paid to where the fat is located, in addition to how much of it there is. I've always appreciated Gary Taubes's realistic discussion of this.

And whatever happened to Gary Taubes? I'll have to find out the latest.

Best wishes everyone.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-21, 13:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Gary Taubes newest book was published last December. Case for Keto.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...11&page=1&pp=15

He is a frequent guest on podcasts and all the other virtual conferences that took place in the past 18 months.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-21, 18:29

BF:

Thanks, Janet. It didn't take long to find him online.

I found a conversation with Stephen Guyenet which was a follow-up to an earlier podcast where he engaged in a debate with Taubes about their differing theories of "why we get fat." My essential interest is: How we get thin!

Taubes (post Atkins) has been a great encourager for me. I may have to get his new book just for an update.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-21, 22:07

BF:

For those that do keto, why do you prefer it over 1972 Atkins (which allows for veggies)?
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-21, 22:31

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
For those that do keto, why do you prefer it over 1972 Atkins (which allows for veggies)?

Where did you get the notion that keto doesn't allow veggies?
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-21, 22:35

BF:

Maybe I've been misinformed. When my friends daughter was put on keto for her seizures, she was only allowed fats and proteins. Is that incorrect?
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-21, 22:44

BF:

Upon further reading, it seems that keto is basically the same as Atkins induction. Fats and protein liberally, carbs under 20g/day.

Is that correct?
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 03:35

"Internet" keto can be whatever you want it to be. 20g total carbs (3 cups veggie), 20g net carbs (which gives you more veggies), carnivore, whatever. Why it’s popularity is waning, people try it and think they need to add buttered coffee, or purchased fatty shakes.

Therapeutic keto used originally for epilepsy and now some other disorders has an exact formula, the strictest of the five ketogenic definitions here: https://charliefoundation.org/
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 06:42

BF:

After listening to Dr. Bret Scher's podcast interview with Gary Taubes at DietDoctor, I could not resist ordering the latest book. Amazon had a special: the hardcover was only a dollar more than the Kindle version.

One of the points Taubes makes: He wanted to title his book something like "In Favor of Fad Diets." His publishers nixed that, for good reason. However, Taubes's thought was: there are thousands of "fad" diets, and many of them actually work. Atkins. Keto. IF. etc.

As many of us at LowCarb have discovered, dialing in on the sustainable WOE (way of eating) that works for YOU is a lifetime endeavor. HERE is one of the places I find sensible advice, intelligent resources, and inspiring stories. I could kick myself in the backside for backsliding!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 06:56

To get back to the original thread title/question about IF....

This thread was revived in Sept 2021. Starting in August 2020, I have based my fasting schedule on my own Blood Glucose readings. How that is done, how I can eat twice a day about 6-8 hours apart and still lose more weight than I ever have on low carb...

Jump to: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484792
And post #295 for my one year summary.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-21, 16:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl

Yes. And I'm healthier for it. 75, no prescriptions, no meds, and according to a heart doctor, a circulatory system of a healthy 50 year old. Plus the only time I get sick is a mild, 2-day cold every 15 years or so.

I lost 60 pounds and have kept it off since I went on Atkins Induction. I never graduated to maintenance, so it was keto before it was called keto.

Fewer than 20 carbs and 1800 calories per day, and twice as much fat as protein. Most of my carbs come from nuts and seeds.

I have no idea if that works for everybody, but it works for me.

Bob