Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:19
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/160/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default eat your breakfast

Breakfast: A Dieter's Secret Weapon
By Leslie Fink, MS, RD for WeightWatchers.com

Here's a thought that'll get you up and running: People who skip breakfast may not be as successful with weight management than those people who eat breakfast regularly. Why? Eating breakfast could help you reduce snacking and avoid overeating at later meals. G. Harvey Anderson, PhD, professor in the Department of Nutritional Sciences at the University of Toronto, concurs: "There are bits and pieces of data that show that breakfast eaters are lighter." Wow, great news! Blueberry pancakes, anyone?

Food Is Fuel
Eating breakfast is like filling up a gas tank gone dry. When you wake up in the morning, your body is low on fuel, like a car running on empty, explains Kathleen Zelman, RD, spokeperson for the American Dietetic Association. So fill up with a morning meal that can kick-start your engine by:

Giving your body energy to run on.
Possibly preventing you from overeating later in the day.

Not enough incentive? Try this food for thought: If you skip breakfast, you're often more inclined to make up for it the rest of the day, warns Zelman.

In fact, a study published in 1992 in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition suggests that breakfast eaters fall prey to impulse snacking less often than non-breakfast eaters.

Unleaded Or Diesel?
Not all fuels are created equally. Most people will get more mileage from a small bran muffin and a cup of fat-free milk than they do from a large glass of juice. That's because the sugar in the juice is a much more rapidly used energy source than that derived from the muffin and milk.

"The ideal breakfast is based on carbohydrate and protein," supports Anderson, who is currently researching the best meal combination for satiety in appetite studies. He theorizes that the most satisfying breakfasts deliver a quick shot of energy (by raising blood sugar levels rapidly) and then a longer term energy boost from high-fiber, complex-carbohydrate, protein-containing foods that slow digestion.

What does that mean for your sugar cereal? Toss a handful into a bowl of low-fat yogurt and then mix it up with some fiber-rich fruit. Other tasty tag-team breakfasts include:

Low-fat cheese and tomato slices on a whole-wheat English muffin.
High-fiber cereal with fat-free or low-fat milk and dried or fresh fruit.
Peanut butter and jelly on multi-grain bread.
Hard-boiled or scrambled eggs (or egg whites) with a couple of wheat crackers.
Low-fat yogurt and a grain-rich cereal bar.
A banana and a small handful of peanuts or almonds.

Banish No-Time-For-Breakfast Excuses
Excuse: I don't have time to make myself breakfast, then the only things available to me at work are doughnuts and cookies from the vending machine.

When time is of the essence, think portable. Try a hard-boiled egg (keep a few handy in the fridge) and a couple of crackers or string cheese and a piece of fruit. And for those real crunch times, keep packets of instant oatmeal, high-fiber breakfast bars and mini boxes of raisins stashed in your desk drawer.

Excuse: I just can't eat before 1:00 p.m.
You don't have to eat when the roosters crow, but it is a wise idea to eat within several hours of waking up. If you can't stomach much, try a few grapes or a wheat cracker and half a glass of juice. After a few days, your body might naturally look forward to this a.m. fuel-up and you can try more substantial meals.

Excuse: I would like to eat breakfast but am afraid it will set my hunger into overdrive.
Many people experience less erratic eating patterns (like mid-afternoon and after-dinner munchies) when they eat several small snacks and meals throughout the day. Anderson comments that in addition to being leaner, frequent nutritious mini-meal eaters - as opposed to those who eat one to two big meals per day - are often associated with cleaner bills of health.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 20:03

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Talking Then I'm an odd case!

I had a hard time with the protein thing until I did one small thing...I cut out breakfast, now at my noon meal I'm not as hungry before hand. Before when I ate breakfast I was insanely ravenous and couldn't wait to get food down my gullet when my noontime meal rolled around! ...not to mention being cranky and foggy headed.

I think this has something to do with insulin spiking but am not sure. Anyway, now that I'm not eating breakfast there isn't any challenge to this way of eating (for me) at all. I remember when I was eating big breakfasts complete with hashbrowns etc., 2 hours later I would get crazy hungry, get the shakes sometimes and feel very weak (classic symptoms of hypoglycemia!) Now I walk an hour every day to work on an empty stomach and am perfectly energetic with my former symptoms completely eradicated! I now enjoy my noontime meal instead of inhaling it.

In my case, everything they tell you is wrong.

There's my 2 cents!

Later
Steve
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 07:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/223/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 56%

Let's keep in mind what clueless organization wrote the article... (WW)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 09:17

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default breakfast proponent

Sure, I was hungry two hours later too when I ate a high-carb breakfast. But now that I eat a low-carb breakfast (chorizo and eggs with onions) I don't get hungry until lunch time, have more energy, and am more alert and in a better mood in the mornings. When I don't eat breakfast, I never wake up fully.

;-Deb
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 09:55
Under Construction

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 245/148/140 Female 5'4"
BF:less/than/B4
Progress: 92%

I never used to be a breakfast eater until I started dieting. I was under the impression that eating a morning meal "jump started" your metabolism. Now I eat something like a sausage muffin or a couple of scrambled eggs or fried eggs in the morning. I have found that I am hungry in the morning when I never used to be and that I am not as hungry for lunch as I was. This is great for me because my lunches are smaller portions and I feel energetic all day.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 13:37

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Talking I AM weird...

Even when I eat the all protein breakfast I get hungrier for lunch! It's the reason I quit CAD 2 years ago, I had gotten to 235 and quit...all because I ate a reasonable breakfast (usually cube steak and green beans), had another low carb meal for lunch and waited til night time for my RM (I'm a cadder). I waited until 4:00 or so for my RM and was so miserably ravenous, I couldn't enjoy it. So I experimented...All I did was cut off breakfast and move my RM to noon! Now I have 2 meals a day and am NEVER hungry.

My story is unique of course, proof that one size does not fit all!
It really takes trial and error to make this WOE work for everyone I guess.

Later
Steve