Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 21:57
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/118/105 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Question Help with breakfast???

Anyone with breakfast alternatives, HELP!!!
I started on induction again and know that I need to eat breakfast, but I've never been a breakfast person. Food first thing in the morning makes me nauseas, but I have to take my vitamins with food, along with my allergy pill which causes dizziness, nausea, etc. when taken without food. I know breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day, but I have a hard time with it.
Being on induction, I know I'm not supposed to have breads, but I made some Atkins lc muffins (2carbs) and have lately managed to get one down in order to take my pills and start my day.
- Is the reason we're not supposed to do breads because we're trying to break the craving? If that's the reason, I guess I'm not too worried as I've never really liked bread or cereals. - If that's not the reason, PLEASE somebody enlighten me, so I don't make a major faux pas... Before LC when I used to eat a hamburger, I pulled off as much bread as I could so that all was left was just enough in the very middle to keep my fingers from getting nasty. So since I hardly ever ate breadstuffs, I don't have cravings for them... My problem is mostly sweets, bad food choices, and probably undereating which stops my metabolism, so that when I do start eating enough again my body is afraid of starving again and just packs on the fat.
The thought of eggs, bacon, sausage in the morning turns my stomach...
Anybody have any great breakfast ideas that are light enough that I might be able to get by without feeling miserable all morning?
Thanks for all the support!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 05:56

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I eat last night's dinner for breakfast at times...no one says you must eat Breakfast Foods for breakfast.

I also have ham/cheese roll ups.

and Today I had a wonderfully nutritious warm breakfast on this frigid morning: cream of flax cereal with cream & fresh strawberries sliced up.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 05:57

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi there,

Part of the reason you aren't supposed to eat breads is to break the addiction to carbs.

The other part of the reason is that the highly refined flour that they are made from is quickly broken down by your body into glucose. Depending on the bread, this can drive your blood sugar up more quickly than if you had eaten straight table sugar! Surprising, eh?

As to your dilemma, frankly, I'm not a breakfast eater either. I just take the darn supplements and wash em down with coffee. If that's something that would upset your stomach, and you have to eat *something*, you might try some fresh induction-friendly veggies or try some soy milk?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 10:51
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/118/105 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hey Thanks! Maybe a few veggies wouldn't be too hard in the morning.
- and Spud, the breadstuff is the Atkins 2 carb orange cranberry muffins, not regular breads(ick...) and I'm not having the ups and downs of insulin spike, and I'm in ketosis and right now, I'm not craving carbs ...(Right now, I'm actually craving tuna... LOL) so you think there's any problem in keeping with that Atkins muffin in the am?
I would take the vitamins without any food, but the allergy pill is a no-go. I made the mistake of doing that once and friends thought I was having major premature hot flashes and I learned not to do that anymore...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 11:09

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

How about something like a protein shake? You can use one scoop of that and throw in some frozen fruit, like berries ( although I don't think berries are allowed on the induction phase, but once you get through that there shouldn't be a problem), then blend them up in a blender and it makes a nice light meal.