Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 09:22
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Bone Broth?

I've been reading this morning on the health benefits of bone broth, and now I'm super interested in making a batch to try out.

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever tried making their own from scratch, and if so what tips do you have? Did you add anything other than water? How long did you decide to cook yours for? What did you cook it in? How did you decide which bones to use?

From what I've read, beef joints that contain a lot of connective tissue like ankles are good to use because they seem to produce a broth that's high in gelatin?

Apparently an author named Sally Fallon has a book dedicated to making bone broths that I'm going to look into picking up if this is successful
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 11:16

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

There probably are 100 thread here on it. Use advance search (google) I use instapot and made my last batch a couple weeks ago with bone/joints from whole pork butt. Small batch but no waste.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 11:54
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Yeah I haven't been terribly successful using the search option provided here.
I have a crockpot, but when it bites it I'll probably invest in an Instapot.
How often do you consume the broth? Like before every meal?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 11:56
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Oh and I forgot to say thanks for the suggestions!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 13:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi Tree
Yeah I haven't been terribly successful using the search option provided here.
I have a crockpot, but when it bites it I'll probably invest in an Instapot.
How often do you consume the broth? Like before every meal?

- crock pot works fine

- i make when i've collected enough bones and desire to make. I don't look at this as magical stuff, just not waste.

- no schedule for eating. When make it, I eat it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 13:43

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I’ve basically only made broth from chicken bones. If I buy a rotisserie chicken I save the carcass and put it in the crockpot. I cover with water - add maybe some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and some apple cider vinegar. Then set it on low for at least 24 hours.

I don’t actually drink it though. When it’s cooked enough I strain out all the bones, then portion it out into small containers which I seal and then freeze. I then use it for cooking, with recipes that use broth in them.

So make I don’t get the full benefit, but I do have a serving of collagen powder just about every day.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 14:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

For poultry broth, I used to use mostly cheap boney bits like chicken backs and turkey necks, but now I hardly ever find them at the stores. Now, for the most part, I just save bones from whatever else I'm making in a large freezer bag until I have enough to make a batch of broth... or, if I'm out of broth, I'll buy whatever bone-on chicken is cheap - usually leg quarters.

For beef broth, I buy the big "knuckle bones". They're about $7.00 for a pair, but I get a lot of rich broth out of them, plus lots of TALLOW. That's another bonus of making your broth - delicious fat to cook with. For really awesome beef broth: roast the bones for an hour in the oven after covering them with a few Tbsp of tomato paste. Dump the whole mess into the crock pot, including all the juices and drippings, cover with water, let 'er rip.

I hate drinking broth. That said, it makes a lot of other stuff taste awesome: my soups, sauces, stir fries, etc; and I do believe in the health benefits because I don't otherwise get nearly enough collagen or gelatin.

I do find it tastes better in the Instant Pot. Pressure cooking just adds so much depth of flavour. Save up for one. Don't wait for your crock pot to die, it probably won't. My mom died before her crock pot did and she had it before I was born.

When you pressure cook, you need to have at least 1 cup of liquid to create the steam, and this is probably one of my more common ways to use the broth. It infuses a lot of flavour, then makes a fabulous sauce or gravy.

It used to be suggested that you add vinegar to the broth so that by acidifying it, you draw out more minerals. I don't bother anymore; I'm pretty sure it was on Mark Sisson's site that that was debunked. The bones often crumble after I've made the broth, so that indicates to me that the minerals are gone (and into your broth.) If you choose to add vinegar, you won't taste it afterward, at least in my experience. I hate vinegar, so I wouldn't have done it if I could taste it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 15:27
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I don’t actually drink it though. When it’s cooked enough I strain out all the bones, then portion it out into small containers which I seal and then freeze. I then use it for cooking, with recipes that use broth in them.

Oh that is smart. Not only do you save money from not having to purchase ready-made stock, but you'd know exactly what's in it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 15:38
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Don't wait for your crock pot to die, it probably won't. My mom died before her crock pot did and she had it before I was born.

Funny that you say that. My mum purchased a crockpot back in the late 70s/ early 80s

Feast your eyes on that relic. That's some serious high glamour right there!

Mum passed January 2019, and that monster still works! Before the time of built in obsolescence
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 20:26

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Some good discussion in this thread - Healing? Let's talk about collagen.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-20-20, 08:08
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Some good discussion in this thread - Healing? Let's talk about collagen.

Thanks for the link! Heading over to check it out. Thanks!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-20-20, 08:22

BF:

at some point I put together a how to but can only find pictures. here you go. Use the fat for cooking or just snacking on.

keyword: Instant Pot, insta-pot, insta pot

#13   ^
Old Wed, May-20-20, 08:37
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
at some point I put together a how to but can only find pictures. here you go. Use the fat for cooking or just snacking on.

keyword: Instant Pot, insta-pot,

#14   ^
Old Wed, May-20-20, 15:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Wendy, that's awesome. This was the one my mum had:

Thud, nice pics, of course. The most crazy gelatinous broth I've made was from bone-in pork shoulder. If you've ever made Jello Jigglers that you can cut with a knife and eat with your fingers, that was it. I think I mixed it in with the pulled pork and its sauce, though it could have been a meal on its own.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 08:42
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Wendy, that's awesome. This was the one my mum had:

Oh wow! I haven't seen one of those in AGES!

I finally received my Nourishing Broth book (Sally Fallon) in the mail this week, and I've been skimming through it trying to get a feel for which ones I'd like to try. The only thing I can see being a bit of an issue right now is getting bones or joints from my butcher. He's pretty low on everything right now, but he assured me it's temporary. I might have a look at the grocery store and see if they have any in stock.