Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 14:16

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Nutrition info on Greek Yogurt

I'd like to put the correct nutritional information about Greek yogurt in my Fitday list. But I'm puzzled by what I find online.

I make my own "Greek" yogurt by straining the whey out of plain whole milk Dannon yogurt overnight. It's really thick.

Nutrition facts state that plain Greek yogurt (branded or other) has 8g of carbohydrate, also 8g of sugar. Shall I assume that this 8g is the same "stuff"--namely lactose or dairy sugar, and not added sugar?

For further reference, one cup (200g) is listed as containing 190 calories, 10g fat, and 18g protein, along with the 8g sugar. Maybe there's some arithmetic I can do!

Thanks.

P. S. Just did some arithmetic, using 9 cal/gr for fat, and 4 cal/gr for protein and carb. Adds up to about 190. But still doesn't tell me what that "sugar" actually is.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 14:57

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I imagine that the sugar is lactose but from what I know it is not measured directly in yogurt but just is the amount contained in the milk before fermentation, so the sugar content may be less than what is listed on the label since the process of fermentation eats up some of the sugar.

I used to make my own greek yogurt. I fermented half and half for 24 hrs in a yogurt maker and then strained out the whey. I used half and half from a local dairy. It came in glass bottles with no added anything like most of the commercial products have. I had no precise idea how many carbs were in the yogurt and could never find a good answer to the question. I just knew that the longer the fermentation time the less sugar so I estimated it at half the original sugar content.

So there's my long winded explanation. More succinctly put: Who knows?

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-16, 10:25

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks, Jean--ever a source of useful information!

I like my simple strained yogurt, and don't overeat it. I'm content with who knows?