Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-15, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/mix
Stats: 185/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Confused Primal Blueprint

I'm a bit confused is Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint a primal or paleo diet? I am just doing a bit of research of maybe trying a paleo diet over Atkin's based on I think a need for a bit more carb option due to previous depression/anxiety issues that I think a VLC carb diet 20-30 is causing some problems with.

~Debbie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-15, 12:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Mark Sisson IS the Primal Diet...the first "ancestral" based book I read and the one I still recommend. More accessible for a beginner than a more strict "paleo" diet like "Whole 30". A commonsense approach: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defi.../#axzz3G82kOst0 that addresses other lifestyle factors that may also help depression.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-15, 13:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Mark Sisson IS the Primal Diet...the first "ancestral" based book I read and the one I still recommend. More accessible for a beginner than a more strict "paleo" diet like "Whole 30". A commonsense approach: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defi.../#axzz3G82kOst0 that addresses other lifestyle factors that may also help depression.

Thank you. I am not sure why I was confused about them.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-15, 02:56

There are some "internet" experts who argue over the minor details...is raw dairy or soaked legumes Paleo? Mark has always been do what works for you and if you eat well 80-90% of time you are way ahead of the game finding a sustainable healthy lifestyle.

Reading what you wrote about your husband on the other thread...you might be able to prompt some changes if you start following the BP. What guy would 't want to look like Mark approaching 60!? Not as popular as his first book, but the 21 day Transformation Guide, is a short-cut step by step approach. Both books can be found used on Amazon under $8 with shipping.

Mark is so sensible about exercise and you can ease into his healthy food choices. He has inspiring success stories every Friday, the free fitness book when you sign up for his email is great for everybody of any ability.

A good interview with Mark explaining Low Carb Paleo:
http://youtu.be/Um-a61rClSs

You know how stressful moves are, and this one with a high school age child too. Focusing on all the BP lifestyle factors could help the whole family transition better. Also, Paleo and Cross-fit is very big with young men. Cross-fit 'boxes' and "tough mudder" challenges are everywhere...exercise plus group support/social bonding might help everyone.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jul-13-15 at 04:50.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-15, 21:18

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was reading over the Primal Blueprint again, and I realized that I have the perfect job! (landscaper). I move around constantly all day, lift heavy objects quite often, some very aerobic activity (shoveling, moving gravel) and I'm outdoors pretty much every day. Makes me feel pretty good about my career choice. For those looking for a great hobby, serious gardening would be very similar in exercise type--you are never too old!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-15, 18:50
Registered Member

BF:

He has shown interest in doing the LC thing but in the end I don't think he will ever give up his sweets and candy and sodas. He can cut back but he has told me many times that he isn't going to be miserable for the rest of his life and worried about food. So I guess that is just his choice and I can make things work. He does respect what I want to do and eat. It's just hard when the family is wanting pizza, fries, sweets, etc. But I have to work through it on my own. Because I said I want those things too but I don't want to be overweight any more either.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 02:45

From your comments on this thread and the other one, it is clear that you want to change your eating and exercising Habits, and you may find this woman's books and website helpful:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468195

If you have not been hit by a "lightening bolt", which is rare...she lists other more common habit-changing strategies. You have one of the best available to you right now..."The Clean Slate".
You have Moved! your grocery stores are new, the way you arrange your kitchen food storage is new, your streets with fast food are different (avoid them). Another habit strategy is Convenience vs Inconvenience. Do not buy jumbo packs of chips at the PX and put them in the line of sight for everyone when opening the pantry. Make it slightly inconvenient to reach for junk food, goes on the top shelf. Your DH may be OK with Moderating his intake of x, you may do better as an "Abstainer". Have fruit on the counter, candy is a jar with a lid in a dark cabinet, etc. Start new snacking/dinner habits with the foster kids. Must eat together at table, no grazing after school. Learn to make LC, wheat free pizzas and desserts. Whatever new habits fit your lifestyle, but print out the downloads at her website Resources https://gretchenrubin.com/habits/habits-downloads/ for many other ideas. Think of the small ways you could create new habits in a new home, if you do not want to do a Full Paleo Pantry clean-out.

ps: Her first book was on Happiness...those downloads and info may also be helpful.

NiceKitty...Landscaping is the Perfect Paleo job ...and wonderful when in the perfect cool weather of the PNW. A few hours of gardening in southern heat and humidity, I am beaten down

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-18-15 at 02:58.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 17:34
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for the great resources, Jey100.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-15, 04:54

Yesterday I received an email offer from Mark a free e-book, 20 page Definitive Guide to Troubleshooting Weight Loss. Follows the points he has made in previous articles on the website, but buffed up as a pretty ebook with some updates.
I don't see it mentioned here, but if you are on his email list, assume you would get the same offer.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subs.../#axzz3i7oepQkz
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 07:52

Gypsywings,
If you return for New Years, or anyone else interested in Primal Blueprint, Mark has a challenge starting on January 11th. There is a free App now, the program is free, (but he has other stuff he is happy to sell you ) seems a very good introduction to the Primal Blueprint lifestyle:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-...w-to-prepare-2/
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-17, 10:47

Plan: Primal
Stats: 186/166/148 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 53%

They are offering the challenge again this year. Starts January 9th and its free!!! Lots of great support from the coaches and other participants.

Janet's link takes you to last years announments but you can still sign up that way.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 12:25

Here's this year's link to the new free app and challenge, though he is happy to sell you some extra packages if needed
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-...how-to-prepare/