Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-11, 19:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 223/178/140 Female 4ft 11in
BF:
Progress:

I like meat and eggs and not much else. gonna try to eat lettuce with oil on it. and I like mayo. I lost alot the first time i ever went on atkins and felt better. I took psylium husk for fiber and drank water and diet coke. pretty much my diet. How does this add up with what yall think I should be doing? I keep trying veggies but just cant develop a taste for them. any help is much appreciated. Im new on here and starting atkins again monday.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-11, 05:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/240/212 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear1
I keep trying veggies but just cant develop a taste for them.

Hi there poohbear1.

The Atkins plan seems like the perfect diet for someone that doesn't like veggies. During induction you are limited to two to three cups which is not very much.

Why? You can doll them up in the most sinful way lol.

Broccoli with a lot of cheese, butter and bacon is Atkins friendly!

Steak smothered in sauteed onions (go light on the onions) and mushrooms.

BLT salad with lots of bacon a little tomato and a cup or so of lettuce and as much mayo as you can throw on.

Ground flaxseed is very high in fiber. You can sprinkle it on to various things to help get enough fiber.

Get an account at FitDay.com, it is free, and keep an eye on your fat/protein/carb percentages.
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-11, 07:52

BF:
Progress:

needed to see list again. thanks for posting. this forum sure helps questions that I also have had. It helps to listen to others who are low carbing to.

you all have a great week
pooh
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-11, 07:54

BF:
Progress:

and i will go to fitday.com. I need all the help I can get. lol
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-11, 07:28
Registered Member

BF:

FitDay's food journal thingie is really excellent.

It does have a serious shortcoming for mult-ingredient foods. Like say you make your salad the same way everyday. You can either list each item in the salad individually or you can create a custom food.

Custom foods are a pain because you can't combine other foods in their database to create a custom one. Like, you cannot combine tomato, shredded lettuce, onion, cheese - all of which is in their database - into myCustomSalad.

Instead you have to manually add-up the fat/protein/carbs/etc from the individual items and plug it into the custom item.

For situations like that you can use:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

- they have a recipe calculator that totals the nutritional information for you. Then just copy the values over to FitDay.
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-11, 18:11
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin
FitDay's food journal thingie is really excellent.

It does have a serious shortcoming for mult-ingredient foods. Like say you make your salad the same way everyday. You can either list each item in the salad individually or you can create a custom food.

Custom foods are a pain because you can't combine other foods in their database to create a custom one. Like, you cannot combine tomato, shredded lettuce, onion, cheese - all of which is in their database - into myCustomSalad.

Instead you have to manually add-up the fat/protein/carbs/etc from the individual items and plug it into the custom item.

For situations like that you can use:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

- they have a recipe calculator that totals the nutritional information for you. Then just copy the values over to FitDay.

That's one of the reasons our own MyPLAN is superior to Fitday.
We can have either recipes, or Bulk Entries, where you just click on a meal or a day's worth of meals to have them all laid out. Check it out.
  #112   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-11, 05:46
Registered Member

BF:

Oh? I'd love to. Can you post the URL for myplan please?
  #113   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-11, 05:53
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin
Oh? I'd love to. Can you post the URL for myplan please?

Look on the green menu bar above the posts. It's in yellow. Also, we have a dedicated forum to help members use it. Here is the link: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=148
  #114   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-11, 06:55
Registered Member

BF:

lol duh!! Thanks Rose
  #115   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-11, 07:47

BF:
Progress:

just got chance to get on. I found 'my plan' gonna go check it out thanks
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-12, 20:42
Registered Member

Stats: 255/210/180 Male 5ft11in
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
Convenience Foods
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

1)Are the Atkins bars OK during induction? I would assume they are, but not really sure if they are more for later stages. I've been bringing a caesar salad and 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs to work every day and fig these bars are OK it would give me another option of something really easy to bring to work.

2)I'm also curious about Julian Bakery bread, I see bread with 1 and 2 carbs per slice, but don't know about what else they have in them. Cinnamon Raisin bread sounds pretty great.

http://www.julianbakery.com/bread/
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-12, 00:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

After reading Wheat Belly, I never want to get within 6 feet of anything containing gluten again, no matter what the carb count.
  #118   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-12, 11:16

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi LC, I would check the list of ingredients in any lowcarb bars, whatever brand or manufacturer - even the Atkins bars, as many of them contain non-induction ingredients like nuts, soya and grains, so really should be left till you are at the relevant rung of OWL where all the ingredients are allowed.

Take no notice of which phase of Atkins the wrapper claims they are suitable - make your decision based on the ingredients.

Likewise check the ingredients of the bread. As far as I know the julian bread is made with grains so would be an OWL rung 9 option that you can try when you get there and see if your body will allow you to eat it with no bad effects.
  #119   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-12, 15:32
Registered Member

Stats: 255/210/180 Male 5ft11in
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Hi LC, I would check the list of ingredients in any lowcarb bars, whatever brand or manufacturer - even the Atkins bars, as many of them contain non-induction ingredients like nuts, soya and grains, so really should be left till you are at the relevant rung of OWL where all the ingredients are allowed.

Take no notice of which phase of Atkins the wrapper claims they are suitable - make your decision based on the ingredients.

Likewise check the ingredients of the bread. As far as I know the julian bread is made with grains so would be an OWL rung 9 option that you can try when you get there and see if your body will allow you to eat it with no bad effects.

Thanks for the info, I will check out some of the ingredients. It would be great to have a simple bar or shake or something to simplify things.
  #120   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-12, 13:33

Stats: 185/179.5/130 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress:

How about unsweetened cocoa?