Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Mar-31-11, 15:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

I just started LC 4 days ago. I seem to be having a problem with bloating. Did anyone else have that problem?
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 08:10

Stats: 254/244.6/128 Female 5 feet 2.34 inches
BF:way too much
Progress: 7%
Default Re: Toni M

Hi, Toni. I'm new to this forum, but I've been on (and off ) Atkins several times. For me, the bloat goes away when I eat low-carb. I can only think of two reasons you might be bloated. One, if you're eating a lot of salad and you never used to do that, especially if you never ate veggies before Atkins. Two, if you're using a lot of sugar substitute. Even powdered Splenda has sugar alcohols in it to add bulk, and I know from my own experience that those alcohols can cause bloating & other digestive upsets if they're taken in quantity. Some liquid Splenda like the Torani syrups have no sugar alcohols, so some people tolerate them better.

Hope this helps. Maybe some Very Experienced Atkinser can jump in and give us some more information.

Hermesgirl
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 07:50
Registered Member

Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniM
I just started LC 4 days ago. I seem to be having a problem with bloating. Did anyone else have that problem?

Thanks very helpful
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 08:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/263/200 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 3%

Is soy flour and/or wheat bran allowed on induction?
I ask bc I have a Dixe Carb Counters low-carb (1 net carb) "flour" mix made of soy and wheat bran that I sometimes use to fry chicken or fish. Could this be part of the reason that the wieght is holding on? I dont use the frying flour too often - maybe 3 times since Ive been in induction. The link to the product is here:

http://www26.netrition.com/dixie_cc..._crumb_mix.html
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 09:15
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thank you so much for posting. This is now hanging on my fridge!

(Also, I actually went and got DANDR yesterday and am starting to read it. After WWGF, I realized I got the idea, but didn't know how to...) So, thanks again!

Here's to starting a true Atkin's Induction on Monday!
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 15:46

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny068
Is soy flour and/or wheat bran allowed on induction?
I ask bc I have a Dixe Carb Counters low-carb (1 net carb) "flour" mix made of soy and wheat bran that I sometimes use to fry chicken or fish. Could this be part of the reason that the wieght is holding on? I dont use the frying flour too often - maybe 3 times since Ive been in induction. The link to the product is here:

http://www26.netrition.com/dixie_cc..._crumb_mix.html

Wheat bran is one of the fibre supplements Dr Atkins said could help against constipation on induction, so a tablespoon or so of it would be allowed.

However soy flour would be one of the options on OWL rung 6, so is not an induction food.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 07:29

Stats: 265/263/200 Female 5'10
BF:

Thanks Elizellen, maybe that's whats messing up my induction weight loss!
  #83   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 11:16

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 220/133/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 87%

I just started Adkins today
So it's ok to have the Torani syrups in my tea or coffee
I'm going to die without my Equal..lol
  #84   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 23:56

Stats: 325/320/175 Female 6' 2"
BF:I shudder to think

Thank you for posting this list. I did have one question. I thought that Dr. Atkins permitted up to 3 cups of regular (caffeinated) coffee and/or tea per day as long as it wasn't interfering with one's weight loss or sleep. Is this not so?
  #85   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 04:48

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I don't know what the atkins company's new rules say about coffee, but in DANDR the rule is to drink decaffeinated coffee and tea if you can manage it and avoid or at least cut down on caffeine.
  #86   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 10:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKTORIA57
Thank you for posting this list. I did have one question. I thought that Dr. Atkins permitted up to 3 cups of regular (caffeinated) coffee and/or tea per day as long as it wasn't interfering with one's weight loss or sleep. Is this not so?

hello, and welcome!

Dr. Atkins' original "Diet Revolution", published in 1972, did allow caffeine, with the following caution:
Quote:
---------*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee (and tea and diet colas) which contain caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.

Since publishing his "New Diet Revolution" in 1992, and later editions, the recommendation has been to avoid caffeine completely, at least for the Induction period.

hth,

Doreen
  #87   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 15:00
Registered Member

Stats: 251/199.8/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 56%

I just finally reached the 20 pound loss mark, after 60 days on the plan. It's been slow and steady for me, and it was good to come back and review this list. Thanks

#88   ^
Old Sun, May-15-11, 15:29

Stats: 220/198/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'm new to this forum and have read this entire thread. I didn't find an answer to the following quote. Does anyone have an answer? Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit
I use ground flax seeds for laxative and do some protien shakes - should these not be done on induction,.
  #89   ^
Old Sun, May-15-11, 16:32

Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wma
I'm new to this forum and have read this entire thread. I didn't find an answer to the following quote. Does anyone have an answer? Thanks,

Quote:
I use ground flax seeds for laxative and do some protien shakes - should these not be done on induction,.

I do not find the answer in any of my books, but since the flax is 3 gm. carbs/3 gm. fiber I would not worry about it. I do know that Atkins said to use fiber for a laxative...so I would just count it as fiber.
"You can also take 1 Tbs. of course wheat bran or flaxseed meal....you can sprinkle bran over your vegetables or blend flaxseed meal into a shake." DANDR page 75.
This section is just before the listing of induction foods.

Ruth
  #90   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 06:21

Stats: 220/198/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrn122
Quote:

I do not find the answer in any of my books, but since the flax is 3 gm. carbs/3 gm. fiber I would not worry about it. I do know that Atkins said to use fiber for a laxative...so I would just count it as fiber.
"You can also take 1 Tbs. of course wheat bran or flaxseed meal....you can sprinkle bran over your vegetables or blend flaxseed meal into a shake." DANDR page 75.
This section is just before the listing of induction foods.

Ruth

Thanks Ruth. I generally sprinkle 2TB of ground flaxseeds on my lunch salad, so I'm happy it should be ok on induction.
Believe it or not, I don't have that book, I have the original one from 1972.
Thanks again.