Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-19, 03:15

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Currently reading Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food, Catherine Shanahan, Luke Shanahan 2008 (2016 updated edition)

Very technical book, which I don't mind. Can't wait to get to the chapter on omega 6 vegetable oils.

goodreads synopsis:

Deep Nutrition illustrates how our ancestors used nourishment to sculpt their anatomy, engineering bodies of extraordinary health and beauty. The length of our limbs, the shape of our eyes, and the proper function of our organs are all gifts of our ancestor's collective culinary wisdom. Citing the foods of traditional cultures from the Ancient Egyptians and the Maasai to the Japanese and the French, the Shanahans identify four food categories all the world's healthiest diets have in common, the Four Pillars of World Cuisine.

Using the latest research in physiology and genetics, Dr. Shanahan explains why your family's health depends on eating these foods. In a world of competing nutritional ideologies, Deep Nutrition gives us the full picture, empowering us to take control of our destiny in ways we might never have imagined.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-19, 00:43

BF:

Dr. Sacha Panda's The Circadian Code is being re-released - 2-11-2020.
  #168   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-19, 03:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Currently reading Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food, Catherine Shanahan, Luke Shanahan 2008 (2016 updated edition)

Very technical book, which I don't mind. Can't wait to get to the chapter on omega 6 vegetable oils.

goodreads synopsis:

Deep Nutrition illustrates how our ancestors used nourishment to sculpt their anatomy, engineering bodies of extraordinary health and beauty. The length of our limbs, the shape of our eyes, and the proper function of our organs are all gifts of our ancestor's collective culinary wisdom. Citing the foods of traditional cultures from the Ancient Egyptians and the Maasai to the Japanese and the French, the Shanahans identify four food categories all the world's healthiest diets have in common, the Four Pillars of World Cuisine.

Using the latest research in physiology and genetics, Dr. Shanahan explains why your family's health depends on eating these foods. In a world of competing nutritional ideologies, Deep Nutrition gives us the full picture, empowering us to take control of our destiny in ways we might never have imagined.

Whoa, looks great! On my list.
  #169   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-19, 04:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
My Ukrainian grandmother valued ham hocks, they were sort of a traditional food for my family. Any other ethnic groups besides Ukrainian that like ham hocks?
I always thought of it as being part of Southern cooking, originating from African-American slaves, later soul food. Probably a part of the cuisine of other countries where pork is consumed, but there's a fair amount of poverty. When you have money, you're said to be living "high on the hog." (Does that saying exist outside of North America?)
  #170   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-19, 05:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
When you have money, you're said to be living "high on the hog." (Does that saying exist outside of North America?)

Indeed, it is very American:

Quote:
Etymology
An allusion to the best and costliest cuts of meat from a hog, considered to be parts above the belly such as the loin, rather than lower parts such as the feet, knuckles, hocks, belly, and jowls.

US, late 1800s; popularized 1940s. The variant forms – live/eat and on/off – are attested since at least the 1930s.

To this day pork is much cheaper than beef, probably because hogs will eat anything, while cattle and sheep must graze.

Thus the popularity of the similarly omnivorous chicken among the less well-off.
  #171   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-19, 23:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Whoa, looks great! On my list.
RE: Deep Nutrition, Catherine Shanahan

This is really a wake up call to stop eating out! I thought I'd do this then do that, but I'm now starting her section on vegetable oils (aka seed oils, omega 6 oils) and it's startling what the Lipid doctors have been saying for a while now. And it's criminal that the gov dogma keeps trudging along like it's fine with killing people slowly but surely.

The section on Weston Price was fantastic!

I'm getting my own copy.
  #172   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-19, 23:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I always thought of it as being part of Southern cooking, originating from African-American slaves, later soul food. Probably a part of the cuisine of other countries where pork is consumed, but there's a fair amount of poverty. When you have money, you're said to be living "high on the hog." (Does that saying exist outside of North America?)
HHs were mentioned often on The Beverly Hillbillies lol.
  #173   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-19, 02:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
RE: Deep Nutrition, Catherine Shanahan

This is really a wake up call to stop eating out! I thought I'd do this then do that, but I'm now starting her section on vegetable oils (aka seed oils, omega 6 oils) and it's startling what the Lipid doctors have been saying for a while now. And it's criminal that the gov dogma keeps trudging along like it's fine with killing people slowly but surely.

The section on Weston Price was fantastic!

I'm getting my own copy.

Most seem to think WP a quack..... I actually think he is far ahead of his time. Dr lin duscoveted his work which inspired his book The Dental Diet .

I feel guilty when I pull out the Hellman's. Need to find a substitute with a better oil. Homemade has its place, but gaving a ready to use is a time saver. And homemade has a unique taste that is often out of place.
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-19, 03:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Most seem to think WP a quack..... I actually think he is far ahead of his time. Dr lin duscoveted his work which inspired his book The Dental Diet .

Everything I've read backs up what we have discovered here. We have a local health resort who runs their restaurant that way, and hosts a WP conference every year. With the caveat that most WP aficionados get deeply into the detoxifying, traditional moves, with sprouting and soaking and vinegar and cooking techniques, and I just don't eat grains and beans.

Quote:
I feel guilty when I pull out the Hellman's. Need to find a substitute with a better oil. Homemade has its place, but gaving a ready to use is a time saver. And homemade has a unique taste that is often out of place.

Primal Kitchen. I love all their stuff I've tried so far. Pricey, but so are the ingredients.
  #175   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-19, 05:15

BF:

Quote:
Primal Kitchen. I love all their stuff I've tried so far. Pricey, but so are the ingredients.
Love Primal Kitchen. Almost a dollar cheaper at Whole Foods is Chosen Foods avocado mayo. I can (and do) eat both.
  #176   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-19, 05:27

BF:

Quote:
Love Primal Kitchen. Almost a dollar cheaper at Whole Foods is Chosen Foods avocado mayo. I can (and do) eat both.

Sadly, what shows up locally (no Whole Foods around here) is at the health food store and leans vegan and SUGARY.

Somewhere there should be a study about why vegans CRAVE SUGAR LIKE ADDICTS. Their soups taste like maple syrup!
  #177   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-19, 11:38

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Sadly, what shows up locally (no Whole Foods around here) is at the health food store and leans vegan and SUGARY.

Somewhere there should be a study about why vegans CRAVE SUGAR LIKE ADDICTS. Their soups taste like maple syrup!

Some friends who do eat meat but they mostly seem gravitate toward big pots of beans which I've seen a couple of times. They are also totally hooked on sugar desserts. The Friend told me once that she got up in the middle of the night and couldn't find anything sugary to eat so she drank cheap pancake syrup right out of the bottle.
  #178   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-19, 16:29

BF:

Its time to get spouting. Mung bean spouts make a crunchy salad. Worth it for the rich vitamins. Baby keaves have developed by the time they are plated.

In theory the lectin levels have dropped.....and a light saute should also help.

Any info on this.....?

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Dec-26-19 at 08:54.
  #179   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-19, 03:21

BF:

Quote:
Its time to get spouting. Mung bean spouts make a cunchy salad. Worth it for the rich vitamins. Baby keaves have developed by the time they are plated.

In theory the lectin levels have dropped.....and a light saute should also help.

Any info on this.....?

Here's an article which outlines it all:

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-lectins

But frankly, after reading it, my own response is just like Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood, "I'm not going near the damn things!"
  #180   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-19, 08:11

BF:

By sprouting the lectin levels change. And the seed coat is removed.

Cooking also significantly lowers the lectin levels.

This was my conclusion after going down the rabbit hole some time ago.

Details from the above source which also includes great detail on preparing these foods for consumption:

Raw kidney beans are dangerous.
Quote:
The poisoning is usually caused by the ingestion of raw, soaked kidney beans

Quote:
Certain foods can even become intolerable to someone after an immune system change or the gut is injured from another source.

My interpretation is....Lectins are absorbed after damage to GI lining.

Quote:
Raw kidney beans contain from 20,000 to 70,000 lectin units, while fully cooked beans usually contain between 200 and 400 units.

Quote:
The average North American diet is highly grain-based: bread, pasta, rice, cereals, etc. are everywhere, especially in processed foods.

Was the body ever equipped to deal with that type of grain onslaught?

Quote:
Soaking, fermenting, sprouting and cooking will decrease lectins and free up the good nutrients

A very lengthy description of each treatment follows.

Imo. We have caused great intolerance to kectin because of the overconsumption of lectin rich foods. Our GI is damaged by SAD, allowing lectins to pass into blood stream. And proper processing makes lectin rich foods safe to eat.

Obviously, lectin rich foods become a real problem for those with a super sensitivity to them.

Processing these and a proper diet can prevent sensitivty issues.