Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 14:55

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Sugar Alcohols and Sweeteners

Not all sugar alcohols are created equal. For one thing some of them can cause digestive distress, but then there is the issue of raising blood sugar etc. Atkins bars are notorious for their advertising "Net Carbs" by dismissing the effect of sugar alcohols.

You can read more here http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm

"Dr. Atkins and the vendors of low-carb products are correct that not only fiber but also glycerin and polydextrose have little or no effect on blood glucose. The story with sugar alcohols, however, is different. One of the most commonly used sugar alcohols, maltitol and its syrups, does have a considerable effect on blood glucose. Two sugar alcohols, erythritol and mannitol, have no effect, and four others have some effect."

The first number is the GI the second Calories/g

He lists worst to best as follows:
Maltitol syrup (intermediate) 53 3
Maltitol syrup (regular) 52 3
Maltitol syrup (high) 48 3
Polyglycitol (hydrogenated starch hydrolysate) 39 2.8
Maltitol syrup (high-polymer) 36 3
Maltitol 36 2.7
Xylitol 13 3
Isomalt 9 2.1
Sorbitol 9 2.5
Lactitol 6 2
Erythritol 0 0.2
Mannitol 0 1.5
Source: Livesey, op. cit., pp. 179,

I know personally that I can eat products with Erythritol in moderation although they can cause gas.

What about Chickory Root? It has pros and cons according to this page https://www.naomiwhittel.com/the-co...or-a-keto-diet/ whereas this page https://nutrientssolutions.com/chic...sing-leaky-gut/ hails it as being good for leaky gut. It seems fine blood sugar wise according to both pages.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 16:36

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Keto Connect has a great youtube video where they test themselves with different sweeteners. Some of them definitely affected their glucose/keto readings. Others though, like sucralose and aspartame, didn't. Testing is probably the best way to find out what works for someone, if they need to be careful due to a medical issue etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfqvTZWilw&t=465s
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 17:00

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks I'll have to check that out. I can always get out the old blood sugar test strips again....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 18:21
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I've never stopped using AS and I've been doing this off and on since 1972. I won't buy anything containing aspartame because it gives me migraines. There's only one diet soda in my area made with sucralose and that's Shasta diet cola.

Otherwise, I use a mixture of saccharine and aspartame. I order my aspartame from Canada as you can't buy it in the USA. I've tried every AS available and have settled on those. The others taste terrible to me or give me GI troubles.

BTW, I spent an entire day this week testing my Blood Glucose every other hour to see what raised my BG. None of my artificially sweetened beverages cause a rise. But don't forget that we're all different.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 07:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I've never stopped using AS and I've been doing this off and on since 1972. I won't buy anything containing aspartame because it gives me migraines. There's only one diet soda in my area made with sucralose and that's Shasta diet cola.

Otherwise, I use a mixture of saccharine and aspartame. I order my aspartame from Canada as you can't buy it in the USA. I've tried every AS available and have settled on those. The others taste terrible to me or give me GI troubles.

BTW, I spent an entire day this week testing my Blood Glucose every other hour to see what raised my BG. None of my artificially sweetened beverages cause a rise. But don't forget that we're all different.

Coke makes a Diet version with Splenda (sucralose)-it has a yellow ribbon instead of the red ribbon design on the box. Might be worth keeping an eye out for it, if you drink diet cola

Since I'm mostly carnivore at this point I'm down to just using Splenda in my coffee and that's it for sweeteners. I can buy liquid Splenda at the grocery store but it's a little pricey, so I just buy the bags of granulated Splenda from Sam's Club. It has two ingredients-maltodextrin and sucralose. Maltodextrin can cause an increase in blood sugar but I use it in very small amounts (1tsp per cup of coffee), and I'm not a diabetic, so I'm not worried about it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 08:59

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I have a few problems with artificial sweeteners. Headaches and diarrhea being two of them. I don't eat enough of them to pin down which ones cause which. After kicking a ridiculous Diet Coke habit years ago at the very beginning of my low carb journey, I won't touch aspartame with a ten foot pole as I believe I was once addicted to it and I'm fairly certain it causes me blood sugar issues.

All that said, the main reason I avoid AS is that they cause me cravings in a way that a primarily carnivore diet doesn't.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 09:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
I have a few problems with artificial sweeteners. Headaches and diarrhea being two of them. I don't eat enough of them to pin down which ones cause which. After kicking a ridiculous Diet Coke habit years ago at the very beginning of my low carb journey, I won't touch aspartame with a ten foot pole as I believe I was once addicted to it and I'm fairly certain it causes me blood sugar issues.

All that said, the main reason I avoid AS is that they cause me cravings in a way that a primarily carnivore diet doesn't.

I cut out diet Coke when I went low carb too, not because I think it's bad or was having negative reactions, I just had such an increase in energy that I didn't need the caffeine of the 4-6 cans a day I was drinking, (that was on top of the 2-4 cups of daily coffee!). Now I just drink water and coffee, though I've just started adding more decaf coffee to the mix, especially in the afternoon/evening. So far I haven't noticed a difference in energy levels with the reduction in caffeine, which makes me wonder if I could get away with just drinking regular first thing in the morning and then switch to decaf for the rest of the day? Something I'll have to explore more