Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-11, 19:14
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
Lisa, what does "AGR" stand for?

Thanks!

Where do you see it?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-11, 19:34

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

From your OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Eat moderately from higher AGR melons:
Honeydew
Cantaloupe

Thanks!

#18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-11, 19:57
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
From your OP:
Thanks!

For a minute there I was going to say I'm losing my mind and don't have a clue--lucky I went to my trusty Atkins For Life...copywrite 2003

AGR=Atkins Glycemic Ranking
-a three tiered system which compares carbohydrate foods in terms of their impact on blood sugar. The AGR of food gives you a quick way to identify how often you should select/eat a food based on 3 categories:
-Low AGR--eat regularly
-Medium AGR--eat in moderation
-High AGR--eat sparingly

There are about 6 pages that discusses AGR and gives tables and examples. Some of the things I don't agree with--particularly when the whole grain rung is being discussed, but that's just me. Much of it is just common sense. This was probably added during the time when the glycemic index and glycemic load was the talk of the moment. Most likely added this in to make Atkins more"acceptable" to the mainstream. JMO.

I couldn't even find a reference for AGR in NANY.

Last edited by cnmLisa : Sun, Jan-09-11 at 20:06.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-11, 20:22

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Thanks, Lisa.

I'm guessing this is why watermelon, which has only 1 more carb per 1/2 cup serving than cantaloupe, is not included in the list. (It lists at 103 on the glycemic index.) Although absorption of its sugars would be slowed if fat and protein were included in the meal.

#20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-11, 20:25
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Requin, let me see if I can help.

In regards to finding your ccm/l... Just because your limit may be 40g, doesn't mean you can't eat from higher rungs. You might just eat meat one day and then try some brown rice. You'd still be under your 40 limit. And just because your ccm is 40, doesn't mean you'll never eat above that level. You may have 100 one day in maintenance and 30 the next.

Just because something is a lower rung, doesn't mean it's "free" or fail safe. For example, I can't eat melon. It gives me WICKED cravings. I can eat brown rice with zero problems. It'll kick me above my ccm, but it doesn't cause me a bump in weight, water retention, or cravings. Same with carrots or peas. You should (and in my opinion, need) to work all rungs and trial all foods you anticipate eating.

At the end of the day, you CAN go a few weeks without certain foods. Low carb is a lifetime change, so a month is a drop in the bucket. The plan is written the way it is for a reason. If you decide to do it another way, that's fine. You just may not know if it's a trial food or the nuts or the berries that is causing you a problem. Sometimes it's not the foods themselves but the way they are combined that is the issue (think fatty, salty) that drives you to overeat without even realizing it.

My personal feeling is save the experimenting until later when you have a firm grasp on what works foodwise. You might slow your losses during OWL, but it's the foundation for a successful maintenance, so I think it's the most critical phase. It took me at least 6 or 7 months to go through it, and I'm glad I did. No guessing on what I can and can't have. No guessing on what'll turn me into a craving monster. No lack of variety in my maintenance.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 11:41

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requin
Rung 5 means little to me- I have at most two drinks a month, so little loss to me. I'm not sure if you misunderstood me- I'm not looking to add all kinds of nuts, all kinds of berries, or other soft cheeses/dairy. Just specifically, the raspberies, almonds, and yogurt. It is the lack of variety (and of things that are actually healthy) that is just killing me. And to think I'll have to wait 5 weeks before nuts? 7 weeks before berries? I have serious doubts I can last that long. Give me raspberries, yogurt, and almonds, and I can ignore every other food in every other wrung besides the veggie wrung- happily.
You could let your impatience win and add them all at once but this would mean if any of them affect your body adversely or you are exceeding your CCLL by adding 15 net carbs in one fell swoop you will then have to take a couple of steps back and eliminate two to see if the first is the culprit then swap out one of the others, which will take just as long as climbing the OWL rungs in the 'normal' way!

I would suggest starting with adding one of those 3 specific foods the first week after induction.

I would do this in the order Dr Atkins suggested with the ones less likely to upset your progress first.

So the first week try adding 5 net carbs of yogurt (the Fage fullfat one has about 5 carbs per cup/200gram) every other day, with 5 net carbs of induction veggies the days you don't have yogurt.

If all is well and you get no blood sugar symptoms and lose weight/inches then the next week have the yogurt each day.

Then add almonds, again every other day initially, (remembering that Dr Atkins told us to add most nuts in 1 ounce additions, not the whole 5 net carbs, and cashews in 1/2 ounce amounts) and see if they cause no problems.

Then move to adding 5 net grams of raspberries and see how you do with blood sugar symptoms and weight/inches loss.

Quote:
Right- but if I stayed at the rung I found my CCM on, then I wouldn't be able to ever eat parsnips or potato as they're from a higher rung.
Once you have found your CCLL/CCLM then swap out 5 net carbs of one of the additions with the higher rung food you want to try, initially every other day, then every day for a week.
This way you will be gradually discovering a 'pallette' of higher rung foods you know do not badly affect you that can be included from time to time in your menus

Last edited by Elizellen : Mon, Jan-10-11 at 12:07. Reason: correcting typo!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 11:19

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 197/194/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 5%

I'm so confused. I think I started OWL all wrong then.
My Atkins book (the NEW one, maybe that is why) says that the first rung is adding NUTS to your diet (and the 2nd rung being berries and melon). But you are saying the first rung is simply more vegetables, the 2nd is more cheese, the 3rd is nuts and the 4th is berries?

Do I have to start all over? I have detected a huge stall in my weightloss since starting OWL (even though I have remained below 25 carbs a day), but I don't want to have to go back to induction.

I have only added one serving of almonds, or 1 tablespoon PB to my intake every day. I haven't had a single berry yet.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 13:23
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

These rungs were form DANDR (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution), the book prior to NANY. I don't have NANY, so I'm not sure of the order of the rungs (if it has changed).
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 17:31

BF:

Yeah I only have NANY, so I'm going to buy the one you mentioned. I don't know why they are having people go straight to nuts and berries. That is probably why I have stalled.

This is the new version of the Carb Ladder:

Phase 1, Induction:

Rung 1: Foundation vegetables: leafy greens and other low-carb vegetables

Rung 2: Dairy foods high in fat and low in carbs: cream, sour cream, and most hard cheeses

Phase 2, Ongoing Weight Loss:

Rung 3: Nuts and seeds (but not chestnuts)

Rung 4: Berries, cherries, and melon (but not watermelon)

Rung 5: Whole milk yogurt and fresh cheeses, such as cottage cheese and ricotta

Rung 6: Legumes, including chickpeas, lentils, and the like

Rung 7: Tomato and vegetable juice “cocktail” (plus more lemon and lime juice)

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Progr...CarbLadder.aspx

Last edited by snowfall : Fri, Jan-28-11 at 23:54.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 19:48
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfall
I'm so confused. I think I started OWL all wrong then.
My Atkins book (the NEW one, maybe that is why) says that the first rung is adding NUTS to your diet (and the 2nd rung being berries and melon). But you are saying the first rung is simply more vegetables, the 2nd is more cheese, the 3rd is nuts and the 4th is berries?

Do I have to start all over? I have detected a huge stall in my weightloss since starting OWL (even though I have remained below 25 carbs a day), but I don't want to have to go back to induction.

I have only added one serving of almonds, or 1 tablespoon PB to my intake every day. I haven't had a single berry yet.

Ummm...not in my NANY.

P.120

This is the carb ladder:

Rung 1: Foundation vegetables
Rung 2: Dairy foods high in fat and low in carb
Rung 3: Nuts & seeds
Rung 4: Berries, cherries, and melon (not watermelon)
Rung 5: Whole milk yogurt and fresh cheeses
Rung 6: Legumes
Rung 7: Tomato and vegetable juice cocktail, more lemon & lime juice
Rung 8: Other fruits (but not fruit juices or dried fruit)
Rung 9: Higher carb vegetables
Rung 10: Whole grains

Although rungs 1 & 2 are part of induction, when moving into OWL you START at rung 1. Not at rung 3

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

FYI--if you didn't know, peanut butter is made from peanuts which is a legume, not a nut.

Last edited by cnmLisa : Sat, Jan-29-11 at 14:57.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 23:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Although rungs 1 & 2 are part of induction, when moving into OWL you START at rung 1. Not at rung 3

Okay, I think that is where I was confused. The book says that if you get bored with Induction, but don't want to leave it, you can add one serving of nuts to your daily carb intake. I think this made me think that it was implied that you start with nuts when you start OWL. On p. 119, it says under "How to do OWL" that "our recommendation is that you add nuts and seeds first, then berries and a few other fruits..." It also says on p. 121 that "Most people start by reintroducing nuts and seeds and butter made from them."
So you can see how easy it was for me to be confused.

Quote:
FYI--if you didn't know, peanut butter is made from peanuts which is a legume, not a nut.

You are right, I forgot about that. I will keep that in mind.

I am going to start over completely, though I will do only one week of Induction, just to get myself into Ketosis again, and then I will do OWL properly.

By the way the carb ladder I posted previously was from the official Atkins website, not the NANY book.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 12:46

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Are cherries really allowed with the berries and most melons?? According to fitday one cup of raw sweet cherries has 16 net carbs!!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 14:56
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Are cherries really allowed with the berries and most melons?? According to fitday one cup of raw sweet cherries has 16 net carbs!!

Per NANY not DANDR. Go figure that one
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 10:36

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 146/141.4/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thanks for your post. Very informative.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-11, 12:19

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 282/266.2/174 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

"Right- but if I stayed at the rung I found my CCM on, then I wouldn't be able to ever eat parsnips or potato as they're from a higher rung. I understand that you don't eat all the rungs in a day- but if you find your CCM before the higher rungs, you can't determine if those foods are ones that cause cravings, weightloss stalls, unreasonable bloat etc.. So wouldn't you still try to go through at least some of the rungs above where you found your CCM so that you could know that on a day you don't get carbs from nuts that you could have a half an apple? Or, in your case, if a person did have a CCM of 35, which is much below rung 5, should they then never have a drink?"

You can go onto all the rungs eventually. The idea is to add the new foods slowly. As you progress on this journey, you will be able to add back more and more varieties of foods while staying within your CCL. Your list of acceptable foods just expands.