Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-20, 04:39

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Turmeric Curcumin Supplementation

Does anyone have any experience, positive or otherwise, of taking turmeric curcumin supplements?

They have been suggested as something I could take instead of using ibuprofen as I continue to recover from a broken ankle.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-20, 05:39

Plan: <20g when motivated
Stats: 229/219/145 Female 175 cm
BF:40%/40.6%/less
Progress: 12%

Didn't notice any effects. Was prescribed to me by nutritionist who put me on low fat low cal diet (with subsequent hunger and failure) many moons ago.

Its yellow. It adds a taste that grows on you with time.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-20, 06:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Demi. Sorry about your busted ankle. I was taking it after I got fed up of my shoulder tendinitis being bad for 10 months straight, but I can't really narrow it down to anything specific that helped. I threw the kitchen sink at it, so to speak, and was doing a lot of other things that also reduce inflammation. I don't think it can hurt and it might be worth a try...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-20, 07:42

BF:

Thanks both

Kristine, you're right that it couldn't hurt to try.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-20, 08:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Sorry to hear about your busted ankle. After knee surgery and broken toes, I've found that soaking in Epsom salts and applying ice (actually bags of frozen peas or corn, or the moldable & refreezable packages meant for icing sports injuries - wrap in a kitchen towel to not hurt your skin) worked well. In fact I avoided taking opioids in the first two days after knee surgery with just icing every 20-30 minutes (or as needed) when awake and ibuprophen at night.

I always hated icing as a kid and never left it on enough, but after knee surgery I found if I iced it until completely numb, there was no pain except for ~2 minutes of burning before it goes numb ... I actually got to where I enjoyed the warm feeling the burn knowing I would soon feel no pain. I kept two sets of peas so that used one had time to refreeze in between applications.

When I broke two toes an elderly colleague recommended Epsom salts. I thought it was just an old wives tale, but eventually I tried it due to the pain and it worked. Scientifically I knew there is no way the large molecules could get into my foot, which is why I was always skeptical, but then it occurred to me that it was the super-saturated Epsom salt water that was drawing excess fluid out of my foot, reducing inflammation and pain! My toes didn't look very swollen, but any inflammation removed helps.

My sister broke her ankle a couple of years ago and both Epsom salt & icing helped her get through it without ibuprophen.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Jul-23-20 at 08:43.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-20, 04:22

BF:

deirdra many thanks for your recommendations

I have used iced packs, but will try the Epsom salts soak.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-20, 05:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Just a couple points to add.

Tumeric is better absorbed by GI when combined with ground pepper, from all I have read. A tasty combo.

Soaking in Epsom salts does absorb the magnesium. A good way to get your daily magnesium.

Having broken a wrist badly, extra time is necessary to fully heal. Two years and sticking to a low carb diet made a real difference. 99% of pain gone by 2 years. But after that time, if I ate high carb, my wrist ached.....a reminder to get back on track. You might keep an eye on other problem foods that aggrivate inflammation like dairy and nightshades.

Sorry about your ankle. With time and care you should have a good recovery. My wrist never bothers me and I hope your ankles heals just as well.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-20, 10:06
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I am sorry about your ankle, Demi, and hope that you make a fast recovery.

A physician's assistant recommended turmeric curcumin when I had a painful inflamed knee three years ago. The knee was better within a week, but I don't know what specifically helped. From what I've read, most curcumin that is ingested is actually destroyed by stomach acid before it can take action.

I had a broken toe earlier this year and Epsom's salts definitely helped. Magnesium helps with inflammation and the muscles, and is also good for nerve pain. So, it's a 3-pronged agent of relief. In addition to Epsom salt baths, magnesium creams or lotions are effective.

Magnesium is not a large molecule, but a small positive ion which does enter the bloodstream. The counter ion (negative ion) can be either chloride or sulfate; it doesn't matter in terms of the health effects. Even though my toe is long recovered, I still put magnesium cream on both feet each night. I've found that it is great for my neuropathic foot pain, plus it keeps me from having leg cramps at night. (I'm a diabetic and am probably magnesium deficient, like many diabetics are.) I usually use Seven Minerals Magnesium Cocoa Butter Cream (which contains magnesium chloride) because the cocoa butter softens calluses on my feet, but I also like Kirkman Magnesium Sulfate Cream, which does not seem as sticky as other magnesium creams and is closest in chemical structure to Epsom salt.

Last edited by CarolynC : Sat, Jul-25-20 at 10:17.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-20, 18:22

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I hope you heal quickly and completely Demi.

Other than icing it, already covered by Deirdra I have no great advice for the pain, but I want to wish you well.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 13:48

BF:

Ms Arielle, CarolynC and Bob, many thanks for your comments and well wishes for my ankle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Tumeric is better absorbed by GI when combined with ground pepper, from all I have read. A tasty combo.
The supplements I have sourced contain black pepper and also ginger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
I usually use Seven Minerals Magnesium Cocoa Butter Cream (which contains magnesium chloride) because the cocoa butter softens calluses on my feet, but I also like Kirkman Magnesium Sulfate Cream, which does not seem as sticky as other magnesium creams and is closest in chemical structure to Epsom salt.
Thank you for the recommendation. I do have a magnesium spray, but I like the idea of using a cream.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-20, 06:21

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

From what I recently read in Paul Saladino's The Carnivore Code, I threw out my spice bottles of this stuff.

#12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-20, 09:30

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Thanks for taking the time to get this info posted.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-20, 09:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
From what I recently read in Paul Saladino's The Carnivore Code, I threw out my spice bottles of this stuff.
Thanks for posting that information. Though I have read his book and was aware of what he had to say about turmeric.

However, it isn't my intention to take it for long, and I feel it is less harmful than taking ibpruofen.