Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-19, 01:30

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Calcium supplements linked to cancer in major study

Quote:
Calcium supplements linked to cancer in major study

Taking calcium supplements may double the risk of dying from cancer, a new study suggests.

Analysis of the medical records of 27,000 adults found links between high doses and cancer in later years.

However, no link was found between increased consumption of foods containing calcium and the disease.

Meanwhile certain other nutrients in food - but not supplements - were generally linked to a lower risk of all-cause and cancer death.

Scientists writing in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine said cancer patients could be putting themselves in greater danger by taking calcium supplement doses higher than 1,000 milligrams per day.

The found that after more than 12 years’ follow-up there were roughly 24 cancer-related deaths per 1,000 person-years compared to 12 in nonusers.
Up to 5 million people in the UK take calcium and vitamin D supplements in an attempt to avoid osteoporosis in later life.

Lead scientist Dr Fang Fang Zhang, from Tufts University, said: "It is important to understand the role that the nutrient and its source might play in health outcomes, particularly if the effect might not be beneficial.

"Our results support the idea that, while supplement use contributes to an increased level of total nutrient intake, there are beneficial associations with nutrients from foods that aren't seen with supplements.

"This study also confirms the importance of identifying the nutrient source when evaluating mortality outcomes."

The scientists compared the intake of a range of nutrients with rates of death from all causes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer.

They showed that adequate consumption of vitamins A and K, as well as magnesium and zinc, reduced the risk of death.

But this finding only applied to nutrients in food, not supplements.
High levels of calcium intake through supplements was associated with a greater risk of death from cancer.

In addition, there was evidence that unnecessary consumption of vitamin D supplements by individuals who were not deficient in the vitamin might increase the risk of death from any cause.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...er-major-study/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-19, 06:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Maybe the problem is in the white filler used to make the horse sized bolus???

OTherwise, After reading The Dental DIet by Dr Lin, DDS, the calcium intake in our diet is not balanced by the other major minerals like magnesium, potassium and phosphorus. These all work together along with other vitamins like A, D, K2 which also tend to be lacking in sufficient amounts, especially the K2 which is a calcium regulator.

Vitamin K2 can be found in limited foods. Natto, brie, gouda, some fermented foods. ANd a bottled supplement.

I no longer take a calcium supplement as I get enough in foods; to balance that source, bottled supplements like Magnesium, and Vitamin K2 taken daily; 5-10,000 units of VIt D as I live in the far north; potassium salt in cooking. Same with my teens.

Doctors push calcium, but NEVER mention the other players.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-19, 09:12

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

Too right about that. I had a calcium kidney stone back in the day, the ignorant day of not knowing about magnesium, and when I asked the urologist's nurse what I should do to prevent another one. (Nobody every wants another!). Should I quit taking calcium? What about osteoporosis? (Mother had.) Her response, "It's a fine line". Very helpful, lady.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 12:09

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

Yep. Just had a bone density test (I'm 66 so thought it was a good idea) & doctor said I was under-boned (can't remember the right word here!). Not badly, but she suggested weight-bearing exercises & OTC calcium. But I know that calcium can cause problems.

I take 350-400 mg magnesium (it's a powder so it depends on how full the scoop is), 100 mcg K2, 2000 iu D3.

I've been taking the D3 for several years, but I just started the magnesium about 5-6 months ago & the K2 maybe 2 months ago. Between t2 diabetes & being lactose intolerant, I don't get much dairy - mostly unsweetened 5% fat Greek yogurt, but that's not daily. Cheese is problematic for me, so I don't have it very often either, & in small amounts. Nuts are a binge food for me, so I avoid them. Tho if I didn't care about my blood sugar, I could easily get all the daily calcium I need from nuts!

I've slacked off my exercise routine which - when I do it - is 15-30 minutes of weight bearing exercise. I walk a lot during the day just doing my normal stuff - my new pedometer shows an average of 5000 steps. (Is that a lot? It sounds like a lot to me, but what do I know? Which is why I'm here asking questions. )

Any info is appreciated!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 13:39

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Although we would like to believe supplements are made with natural ingredients to get those vitamins and minerals, I think we would all be shocked if we knew their true source.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 17:26
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:

I think a critical component of the problem is not only lack of vitamin D3, magnesium, vitamin k2 (essential for shepherding calcium to the bones), all necessary in calcium synthesis, but especially the type of calcium used.

The cheapest and most common form of calcium supplements is calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is essentially a rock of calcium, a form that cannot be used by the body to build bone, causes calcium deposits in the body and tissues...because the body has no use for it, and this buildup and interference disrupts body processes and promotes cancer.

The best form of calcium to use is calcium citrate. You definitely should not use calcium carbonate, or calcium from oyster shell or bone meal which are just calcium carbonate by other names.

JMO.

My supplement protocol/day for bone-building:
600-1200 mg calcium citrate (600-900 for maintenance, 1200 for building)
100 mcg vitamin k2
400-800 mg chelated magnesium in divided doses
10-15k D3

Weight bearing exercise is critical to building and conserving bone, but weights need to increase over time...that's how bone gets stronger.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Fri, Nov-22-19 at 17:53.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 18:44

BF:

I make more soup now, with real bones.Adding a little acid like vinegar or tomatoes leaches minerals from the hones. Just leave those bone simmering for a couple days and the chicken bones become easy to eat. Most soft and fryable. Means the minerals are now in the soup.

No more need to buy calcium supplements.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 18:46

BF:

Meme, what calcium is used in the cattle feed?? Now Im wondering what is used in my layer rations....?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 19:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
My supplement protocol/day for bone-building:
600-1200 mg calcium citrate (600-900 for maintenance, 1200 for building)
100 mcg vitamin k2
400-800 mg chelated magnesium in divided doses
10-15k D3

Yay! I got the right kind of calcium! My chickens get oyster shell, but they have gizzards. Even if I had a gizzard, don't know if I'd want to eat oyster shell - it smells like cat piss.

I can't increase my magnesium because it would have me in the bathroom too much. And when I first started taking D3 for SAD, I was taking (IIRC) 10k, but it was causing problems. I no longer remember what the problems were, but 2k has worked well for my seasonal depression. Any reason I should be increasing it to a higher but tolerable amount - say 4-5k?

I finally went to the local health food store & got iodine. It wasn't as pricey as I thought it would be. Hopefully it well help my poor thyroid.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 19:56

BF:

a few people keep blood levels high...... higher D3 is linked to lower skin cancer and other cancers. 10,000 a day during winter. Can get blood test to verify levels.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-19, 03:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Any reason I should be increasing it to a higher but tolerable amount - say 4-5k?
5K a day was what it took to get my levels to the optimal range of 50-70 ng/mL. I take about 5000 IU daily once I'm not getting any more tanning-level sun exposure, around October through until late spring. I don't take it at all in summer because I get enough sun, and my annual physicals have been in July, showing good vitamin D levels.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-19, 04:43

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Yay! I got the right kind of calcium! My chickens get oyster shell, but they have gizzards. Even if I had a gizzard, don't know if I'd want to eat oyster shell - it smells like cat piss.

I can't increase my magnesium because it would have me in the bathroom too much. And when I first started taking D3 for SAD, I was taking (IIRC) 10k, but it was causing problems. I no longer remember what the problems were, but 2k has worked well for my seasonal depression. Any reason I should be increasing it to a higher but tolerable amount - say 4-5k?

I finally went to the local health food store & got iodine. It wasn't as pricey as I thought it would be. Hopefully it well help my poor thyroid.

Bonnie - the form of magnesium you take makes a difference. The most common form is magnesium oxide which is the cheapest. It's also the least absorbable and acts quickly as a laxative. I started taking magnesium many years ago and because I had major gut problems I was careful with the type of magnesium I took. Either magnesium glycinate or magnesium malate do not usually have a laxative effect. I have been able to take them without any trouble whereas magnesium oxide sent me almost immediately into the bathroom. I now take 600 mg of magnesium malate daily.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-19, 07:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Bonnie - the form of magnesium you take makes a difference. The most common form is magnesium oxide which is the cheapest. It's also the least absorbable and acts quickly as a laxative. I started taking magnesium many years ago and because I had major gut problems I was careful with the type of magnesium I took. Either magnesium glycinate or magnesium malate do not usually have a laxative effect. I have been able to take them without any trouble whereas magnesium oxide sent me almost immediately into the bathroom. I now take 600 mg of magnesium malate daily.

When I first started taking magnesium I tried different ones. The one I stuck with is magnesium carbonate powder because I could easily start with smaller doses & work my way up to a full dose, and it isn't a fast-acting laxative. But I don't remember if I tried the malate - time for more experimentation.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-19, 15:18
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:

Quote:
And when I first started taking D3 for SAD, I was taking (IIRC) 10k, but it was causing problems. I no longer remember what the problems were, but 2k has worked well for my seasonal depression. Any reason I should be increasing it to a higher but tolerable amount - say 4-5k?
Reasons: The higher amount of vitamin D3 protects from 37 types of cancer. You live at a higher latitude where vitamin D3 cannot be made from sun from Oct thru April. It protects liver and kidneys. It inhibits the shingles virus.

I generally recommend 5k from spring thru summer and 10k from fall thru winter for POC; 2k/5k for paler skinned people. More may be needed if you have any health problems or low vitamin D status.

D3 supplements shouldn't be taken past 2 pm as it can interfere with sleep.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Sat, Nov-23-19 at 15:25.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-19, 17:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Reasons: The higher amount of vitamin D3 protects from 37 types of cancer. You live at a higher latitude where vitamin D3 cannot be made from sun from Oct thru April. It protects liver and kidneys. It inhibits the shingles virus.

I generally recommend 5k from spring thru summer and 10k from fall thru winter for POC; 2k/5k for paler skinned people. More may be needed if you have any health problems or low vitamin D status.

D3 supplements shouldn't be taken past 2 pm as it can interfere with sleep.

Thanks for popping in Z, had hoped you would comment.

Looking for a comprehensive list of the cancers. The doctors at Dana Farber seem to be ignorant of the effects of D3. sigh. I got my mom on D3 after second bout of breast cancer. She seems to be failing faster since more chemo etc.