Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 10:37

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Re: Supplements

Quote:
Originally posted by pastorbob
At 53 years of age, my days of wanting to 'bulk up' are long past. I'm looking for strength, flexibility and definition now

Hi there Bob....

I'm with you! At 52, my main concerns are stength and flexibility. I confess thought that definition is a large part of it for me too. I can hardly wait for all of the fat to vanish and reveal my NEW buff physique!

Congrats on making the decision to do BFL! I know that you will enjoy it!

Marlaine
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/256/205
BF:
Progress: 14%
Talking

Thanks, Marlaine. It's good to be on board. Hey, what is this anyway....the Canadian connection?

My wife and I are going up to Cape Breton Island in the late Summer. We're hoping to buy some property up that way (Nova Scotia, PEI, etc.) in the future. Anybody have any advice?

Peace,
Bob
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 11:07

BF:

Quote:
Hey, what is this anyway....the Canadian connection?

LOL......Yes, as a matter of fact it IS!! The site originates in Vancouver, on the rugged west coast of Beautiful British Columbia!

Marlaine
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 11:15

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Thanks, Marlaine. It's good to be on board. Hey, what is this anyway....the Canadian connection?

My wife and I are going up to Cape Breton Island in the late Summer. We're hoping to buy some property up that way (Nova Scotia, PEI, etc.) in the future. Anybody have any advice?

As M said, you betcha, there's a very evident Canadian presence here

No real advice, except to say that you'll love the East coast. I get out at least 3 times a year on business and it's a beautiful area. The people have got to be the friendliest I've ever encountered. What a great place to get away to!

Nat
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 12:02
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Canadian Connection

Hi Nat & Marlaine

I thought so, eh! My grandmother (who passed on last year at 98 yrs old) was a Canadian citizen all her life, even though she lived in the States since she was 18. I have relatives in Eastern Canada. Yes it is a beautiful place. One of my Aunts was in the RCAF during WW II, so I have some definite Canadian routes. I also have some relatives in Western Canada (Calgary area maybe? ....I forget). All I remember is that where they live it gets down to -50 degress F in the winter and they have to plug their cars in to keep their oil warm. NO THANKS!!!!

Blessings,
Bob

PS. GO BRUINS
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 12:05
Registered Member

BF:
Default OOOPS!! Almost Forgot.....

and RED SOX , and CELTICS( there's no green!0 , and PAT RIOTS!

Bob
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 13:00

BF:

GO CANUCKS!!

#23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 13:10
Registered Member

BF:
Default Canucks

Hey Marlaine!

What the heck is a Canuck anyway? ( I know it's your hockey team, but I mean the term). I always thought it was a derogatory term for a Canadian. Please correct my blissful ignorance.

Dazed & Confused,
Bob
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 09:29

Plan: BFL with SP
Stats: 167/158.5/150 Female 63ins
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 50%
Default Gym Induction

Thanks for the reply, Nat. A stroke of luck today - the manager of the gym came in to do my induction and I told him about BFL. He knew about it and had helped one other person to do it. He wanted me to wait a month but I talked him into it, so he started me off on the UBWO.

It was great. He persuaded me to lift much heavier than I would have attempted on my own. I am still feeling the excitement this afternoon!! I had been preparing for a showdown but was pleasantly surprised.

I have decided to dilute the protein shakes as they are too thick, so will use half in the morning and half in the evening.

I'm all set and ready to go.
Thanks again
Judy
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 09:31

BF:
Default Re: Gym Induction

Quote:
Originally posted by judy130
I have decided to dilute the protein shakes as they are too thick, so will use half in the morning and half in the evening.

Great news about the gym, Judy

Have you thought of adding more liquid to your shakes to make them less thick? Try to aim for a good 20-25g of protein per 'meal'.

Nat
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 10:09
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Protein Shakes

Yup double the water!!! It is the only way I can get it down. I 100% agree with Nat you need that protein. The protein is crucial!!!

I also use a straw so I can casually sip and that helps a lot when you double the water. The redi made shakes are the consistency I like. Try one of them, if you like it, modify your shake recipie with more water.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 10:26

BF:
Default Another thought

Adding flaxoil to your shakes will change their consistency as well - they are less frothy and 'shakey' (and less yummy according to my boyfriend )

Nat
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 06:01

Plan: BFL with SP
Stats: 167/158.5/150 Female 63ins
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 50%

Thanks, all. You've answered all my questions. Still feeling great - I reached 6 on the treadmill this morning. I realise now I've just been wasting time at the gym before this, doing a 4 and not really pushing myself.

I'm starting week one again next week! but this time I know what I am doing and intend just going for it.

I will dilute the shakes and also found out that you can't "store" it for more than a day or it tastes yukky.

This is all a huge learning experience but I'm loving it.

Judy
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 09:24
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

yeah, isn't it funny what you thought was a 'workout' before was not even close!! I still haven't developed the habit of taking a towel to the gym with me.... big mistake!! Never needed one before!!