Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 16:47

Plan: low fat -to- atkins
Stats: 180/124/110 Female 5'4-5'5"
BF:36%/18.2%/???
Progress: 80%
Default is NHE right for me?

first of all i want to say "thank you" to jagbender and built for letting me annoy them with messages :]

hey! my name is lizzy and i have been reading a lot on this forum and talking with jegbender and built a bit about ckd and nhe. jag feels that nhe is the plan i should try but i thought i might jump on the forum and say hello and see what everyone else thinks.

my goals:

i have a "goal weight" of 110 right now when in all honesty, i would much rather stay around 115-120 and lose inches :]

i also want to build muscle but not look HUGE.. [i want what everyone wants... that "cut" look]

well thats about it for now and i have to run.. all comments are welcome and thanks in advance!!!

-liz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 17:06
Registered Member

Plan: CKD - modified
Stats: 160/148/125 Female 68
BF:22%/20.6%/14%
Progress: 34%
Default Yay!

I'm doing low-fat to low carb too. NHE specifically. My body is going through it pretty rough right now...up days and down days while I get used to getting off the carb rollercoaster. Good luck to both of us!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 20:01

Plan: NHE
Stats: 171/142/128 Female 5 foot, 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

I was just going to post this same question. I'm doing CKD right now and recently gained two pounds (which I've never done before) and am looking to see if I should be trying something else. I'd love to hear from those who've tried CKD and NHE so they could tell me which they thought was more effective.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there

I've done TKD, CKD, and recently, NHE.

I find TKD very easy for maintenance, NHE is still an experiment, but so far, so good, and CKD was too much carb for me - I had a hard time not gaining fat on it.

And word, I lift as heavy as I can in a deliberate effort to become as muscular as I possibly can. Have a look in my gallery to see if this is "too bulky" for you.

This has been what lifting as heavy as I can has done for me since starting almost 3 years ago and about 30 odd pounds heavier. And I'm over 40.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 20:12

Plan: low fat -to- atkins
Stats: 180/124/110 Female 5'4-5'5"
BF:36%/18.2%/???
Progress: 80%

no ma'am! you aren't too "bulky" your pictures look great and thats about what i want to look like. i know that its going to take a lot of time... and im sooo excited!

also, do you drink protein shakes after workout
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 20:15
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Coolios! And thank you.
Yes, I have a low-carb whey shake with 5 g glutamine post lifting.

And there's a link on the first page of my journal that outlines what I lift these days.

Lift hard and heavy. You'll THINK you're getting HUGE, for the first few months. Then it just settles right down. You'll notice over time that you'll just get leaner and harder.

Oh, and you'll [heavy sigh] HAVE to eat more [/heavy sigh]

#7   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 00:43

BF:

Built, I noticed you said TKD was good for maintenance and CKD was too much carb. What would you recommend for fat loss. I want to lose another 12 pounds or so and at least be able to maintain the muscle I have, preferably even gain a little muscle. I am suspicious that my carb ups (only been doing it for 3 weeks) are causing weight gain. Its a catch 22 because I now feel more energetic (I was getting so tired when following SKD and lifting) but have actually gained a pound or two. Got any advice? Thanks.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 10:06

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

I just thought I would jump in here.
I have been tweaking my CKD and like Built it was too much carbs for me at my current BF level.
I think Rob (NHE) has a lot of good ideas and well documented. I started NHE Friday and will advise.

Jag
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

jag are you following the bodybuilders plan or the general plan, and after reading the book what did you determine your ratios to be ??
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:24

BF:

Hi Jag, I was just wondering...when you were doing CKD did you try a one day carb up? That's what I've been trying but am also wondering if it's stalling me. I've certainly felt more energetic though--I was getting so tired before I started the carb ups. I'd be interested to know how NHE is different. I'll look forward to seeing your progress on the board.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:25

BF:

Also, where can I find some of Robs threads? I'd like to read up on what he has to say. Thanks!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:26
Registered Member

www.extique.com...ask rob section, Jag is referring to Rog Faigan the author of NHE
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:49

BF:

Thanks liftnlady. I had looked over this website for him when you mentioned it on your other thread. :-) I just checked it out--it looks like some great reading!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:59
Registered Member

the book is informative...though somewhat vague on calories and ratios..that is why I am interested in Jag's take. I am fiddling with my ratios now cause he says moderate fat, and we should all know what moderate means...well I hve been at 65-70% fat and I have to believe that is in the high category, so I am modifying now. The more people who can chime in the better Isay.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 12:10
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Okay, after seeing the triple threat (Built, Lift & Leg). I want to know what NHE is? Whats the name of the book?

red

p.s. That link didn't work for me