Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 03:15

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Low Carb Dieters Snub Top Vegan Physician Dr. Klaper At Medical Conference

Quote:
Low Carb Dieters Snub Top Vegan Physician Dr. Klaper At Medical Conference

Low carb and paleo dieters snubbed a recent talk by top vegan doctor Michael Klaper at a recent health conference.

According to a source who attended the British Society of Lifestyle Medicine (BSLM) Conference, one attendee was heard to mutter 'bloody vegans' during the en masse walk-out. Despite this, Dr. Klaper's talk was reportedly the only one to receive sheering from the audience.

The BSLM is affiliated with the American College of Lifestyle Medicine with both offering the same diploma emphasizing the benefits of plant-based nutrition. This has led some to speculate that having a well-known vegan doctor speaking at the event should not have been controversial - and UK lifestyle medicine has been 'hijacked by low carbers'.

"All speakers receive a standing ovation, Dr. Klaper was the only one to receive cheering too," a source told Plant Based News. "BSLM rules are standing ovation with clapping above the head, it's good for circulation and obviously good for the morale of the speaker.

"It was a great conference overall, but there was not enough emphasis on nutrition. Luckily, the main nutrition talk was by Dr. Klaper. Another great talk was the Caerphilly study which showed the importance of long-term lifetstyle interventions (like eating more fruits and vegetables) in improving morality.

"One of the delegates overheard someone say 'bloody vegans' as they walked out, and another attendee noticed that BSLM Chairman Rob Lawson did not stay for the talk. He also invited Malcolm Kendrick to speak, who is a known cholesterol denier."

https://www.plantbasednews.org/post...ical-conference
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 11:13

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Wow, that's a terrible article. "A source told..." It's not Watergate and Deep Throat. Name your source and tell us their credentials.

The source is obviously biased "Luckily, the main nutrition talk..." [emphasis added]. The source then attempts to discredit the actions of the organization's chairman who did not stay for the vegan talk by associating him with a cholesterol "denier."

Basically, the article boils down to one unnamed, uncredentialed source who is just sharing their personal, biased opinion.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 13:52

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

""It was a great conference overall, but there was not enough emphasis on nutrition. Luckily, the main nutrition talk was by Dr. Klaper. Another great talk was the Caerphilly study which showed the importance of long-term lifetstyle interventions (like eating more fruits and vegetables) in improving morality."

I thought it was the healthywholegrains so beloved of Graham & Kellog that decreased the libido, and thus would, one assumes, improve morality. :-)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 14:31

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

So what? Even IF some low carb and paleo dieters attending the BSLM conference DID (en masse?) walk out of a vegan doctor's talk, and even IF one of them was heard to mutter "bloody vegans"... SO WHAT???

Generally people attending a conference have a right to choose which talks they want to attend. I've attended dozens of conferences in my life and, at every one I've ever attended, LEAVING a particular talk -even in the middle - was not even considered rude so long as one exited quietly so as not to interrupt the speaker or interfere with other attendees hearing what the speaker had to say.

I can just hear the author's brain churning... "I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you! How DARE anyone quietly (by definition, "mutter" means to "say something in a low or barely audible voice) say something so negative about vegans? And, how DARE they walk out on our precious Dr. Klaper's speech. I'm shocked! Shocked! STOP THE PRESSES! I gotta write an article. These low-carb and paleo "mutterers" are out of control! We gotta rally our people to PUT A STOP TO THIS because those low-carb and paleo dieters are hijacking OUR lifestyle medicine."

As an omnivorous low-carber, while I am terribly sorry that plant-based eaters who are SO SO distressed by the behavior of low carb and paleo eaters. However, IMHO, walking out on a vegan speaker and muttering the phrase "bloody vegan" hardly compares to some of the many many outrageous activities carried out by vegans. A few examples:

Vegan Activists Force California Butcher to Place Animal Rights Sign in Window

Youtube video of a Vegan interrupting diners in a public restaurant with a rant about how they're eating her poor little girl's SISTERS!

Vegans trash a McDonalds smearing fake blood all over floors and windows

Vegan harrassment forces cafe to close down. Eight employees lose jobs.

Vegan PRAISES murder of a butcher by a terrorist group
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 15:01

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Here's what vegans do when they don't like a speaker -

Vegans Attack Lierre Kieth with Cayenne-Laced Pies

Quote:
My eyes are still puffy and blurry, but the pain is definitely better. I think the worst part was hearing people cheer my assailants while I was being assaulted. I don’t want to live in a world where people cheer while someone has cayenne rubbed into their eyes.

Last edited by HappyLC : Tue, Jul-02-19 at 15:14.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 15:47

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
Here's what vegans do when they don't like a speaker -

Vegans Attack Lierre Kieth with Cayenne-Laced Pies

Yes, I was reading about people who mask their face and throw cement at other people. Nut-jobs is what he called them, that's a good name!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 19:28

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Maybe the organizer needed to tend to details. Surprized the organizer had time to sit for any of the speakers.