Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:39

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 210/200/140 Male 176
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Some questinos about eating during Induction from Singapore

Hi i come from singapore. Singapore has very few low carb foods and i just went to the supermarket to find some products that i can eat.

Is it true that no matter what i must not exceed 20g of carbo?
I found out that some items has about 4-5g of carbo. Can i eat that?

I have only found some foods that i can eat.
eggs
cheese
ham
corned beef
tuna
salmon

When i look on those on the shelf food like fishball, meatball, those processed food that needs to be fried, i found out that there are some carbo in them(4-5g of carbo). Can i eat them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:40

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

For the first two weeks, you do not need to go over the 20 carbs and it needs to come from the acceptable food list
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:48
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

The best thing is to get your protein from fresh or dried meats and fish. Stay away from canned protein. Most of your carbs should come from vegetables.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:51

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 210/200/140 Male 176
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinTN
For the first two weeks, you do not need to go over the 20 carbs and it needs to come from the acceptable food list

So lets say i buy those processed food like fish fingers. They are acceptable food so i can eat them but i can't exceed 20g?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Alfred,

Here's a link to the Atkins Phase 1 Induction where you can see the list of "Acceptable Foods" and lots of other information.
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html

Good Luck!

judy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 02:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/128/115 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins is confusing with Asian food

Hi Alfred,

Unfortunately, Dr. Atkins' menu suggestions are suited to Western meals. Here in Singapore, I find plenty of fresh meats and seafoods that can be grilled, baked or fried in a wok. Fresh veggies are also good - at my supermarket I buy all sorts of fresh veggies for cooking and also for salads. If you are having real trouble shopping for Atkins, try Cold Storage, which tends to have more Western foods like olive oil, olives, cheeses, mayonnaise, etc...than NTUC FairPrice or a wet market.

Can you eat cheese? Many Asians can not digest dairy products or are grossed out by the smell, in which case I suppose you could add a few ounces of tofu to your meals?

I have especially difficult time eating local food on Atkins. When I am eating in a food court or hawker center, I usually get yong tau fu - with as many veggie as possible, and I will eat the fishball, and have soup no noodles. If you are really worried about fishball, sliced fish soup - no rice - will also do.

Asians have an especially difficult time dealing with Atkins, since most will suffer headaches and bad moods without rice and can not imagine a diet where no rice is allowed!

I haven't found a "carbohydrate counter" for Asian foods, though. I have just read Atkins' book as thoroughly as possible and made notes about how his rules can apply to the food around me. It takes a bit of common sense, too. You can pretty much guess that sauces made with pineapple will have high carbohydrates, and sweet chili sauces, honey or barbeque sauces are out, too. Instead of chili crab, have black pepper crab - no buns!

I hope this is helpful.
Good Luck!
Jen.