Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 08:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/210/140
BF:
Progress: 44%
Angry I'm so tired of being cold!!

Is this some kind of lc phenom?? I'm far from having no body fat to keep my warm so I just don't get why I'm so cold. My hands are so cold at times during the day I run them under hot water else they start to hurt! I even wake up shivering at night.

Is this happening to anyone else? What can I do?? I've been doing atkins for a year and this just started happening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 10:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/299.5/150
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi lowcarbQT,

Have you ever had your thyroid checked? Beong cold is only one symptom, but I never noticed any symptoms either. Just the cold thing.

Hope that helps,

cimart
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 10:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Chills and cold extremities are also a sign of under-hydration. Are you drinking your minimum 64 oz of water a day, plus 8 oz extra for each 25 lbs you wish to lose?? Drinking lots of water isn't just for Induction, it's for life

Caffeine is diuretic, as well coffee and tea - even decaf - can stimulate increased urine loss .. and the potential to cause some dehydration. Add the effect of working and living in the dry environment of heated homes and offices. Or air-conditioned, for those in warmer climates. So drink up!!

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 10:51

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default feeling cold

all the time was the only sympton i had before being diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 yrs ago. it's now under control with medication. it is worth checking this out with your doctor.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 11:10
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks!

what? water is just not for induction?? (kidding) I must not be drinking enough then. I'll up my h2o and see if I can get warm.

I had my thyroid checked T3,T4 etc as part of my yearly check up and it's fine. Must be a water thang.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 13:42

Stats: 217/205/110 Female 58"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I've been experiencing the same types of symptoms (cold hands, chills somedays/too hot others, night-sweats) and I'm thinking I might be starting Peri-Menopause.

Just a thought.

Deanna
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 14:14
Registered Member

BF:
Default Oh no! Not that!!

Oh Deanna, I never even considered that because I'm totally in denial that I am actually 40. I'm shattered, just shattered.

I'm going to read up on peri-menopause. Yikes!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 15:11

Stats: 200/177/150
BF:
Progress: 46%
Unhappy ME TOO!!!

I also have been very cold lately and at first I thought it was my house that was cold but nobody else seemed to be cold only me. I know it's not the weather because I live in Southern California but for some reason I have to wear sweats and sleep with 3 blankets!! My thyroid is fine and I do drink alot of water but I dont mind it because Im losing weight and I wouldnt stop LCing if you paid me!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 17:24

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

lcQT--you know, I was warmer at first on LC--probably better circulation to extremities--but am colder now. (Just had T3 and T4 blood work sent off, along with sex hormone tests.) Watch that reading on perimenopausal symptoms! I read that stuff, and I start getting new symptoms . I was part of a perimenopausal memory loss study recently and swear my memory has been worse since.

did you get your blood sugar/insulin tested recently too? just another thought...

Oh, and did I mention I was part of a perimenopausal memory loss study recently?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 17:33

Stats: 325/299.5/150
BF:
Progress: 15%

You are so funny razzle!

I think I have been peri menopausal for 2 yrs! My TOM has always been right on target. Now, it's either non exsistent, or I'm getting it every 2 weeks I hate this. I wish my body would hurry up and make up it's mind. It was accually my gyn. that found my thyroid problem. He thought maybe that was it, well, no such luck

Take care all,

cimart
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 17:52
Registered Member

BF:
Default Bwahahahaha

Razzle you are too funny! I did have my blood sugar tested and I'm hypoglycemic. I only have episodes if I go to long before breakfast when I get up. If I screw that up I'm a mess all day. Before lc I was a roller coaster on speed interspersed with extreme tiredness.

What was it you said about reading peri-menopause books again?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 01:39

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile exercise helps

coooooolllllllddddddddd; hot, tired, TOM: 14 days 50 days cycle; wot was it I was going to say?? lethargy - and ALL the blood tests are completely normal.

Yes it is that TOL (time of your life span!). I reckon it is made worse if you have or ever had any thyroid problems. I can't wait to have that party when I am finally dry.

Meanwhile I work my way past the lethargy and do the exercises - it definitely helps to warm me up. Just a 5 min break of hectic activity every hour helps maintain it and keep the lethargy from getting a grip.

Cimart, it's been creeping up on me stealthily for about 8-9 years, about 6 years ago I started missing a cycle in the height of summer and winter - just gets worse - I hope I am nearing the end. Impatient for it to be all over!

Take care

Last edited by fiona : Thu, Feb-14-02 at 15:44.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 09:19

Stats: 217/205/110 Female 58"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I watched a very informative show on Oprah last week, featuring Dr. Christiane Northrup. She has a book called "The Wisdom of Menopause". The show was dedicated to perimenopause and menopause.

According to Dr. Northrup you can have your blood tested to let you know if you are indeed in perimenopause.

She was a wonderful guest with a lot of information. There were girls on the show from 33 up to 48/49 who were having perimenopausal symptoms.

Interestingly enough, Dr. Northrup advocates NO WHITE STUFF in your diet! She talks about a lot of other stuff too, but she is adamant that you must take out the bad carbs.

Deanna