Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-14, 19:59

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Atkins 40

Got this email from Atkins today for those who need to lose 40 pounds or less. Thought Atkins followers might be interested.

INTRODUCING ATKINS 40™

This holiday season, we are excited to announce Atkins is introducing more variety and even more food choices with a new, flexible component of Atkins: Atkins 40.

And before you start worrying that Atkins is changing, we want to be clear that we are simply offering another option. The classic Atkins approach has been renamed to Atkins 20™ — it's the same four-phase program, starting with induction at 20 grams of Net Carbs a day.

HOW IT WORKS

On Atkins 40, if you have 40 lbs. or less to lose, you can now begin with 40 grams of Net Carbs a day and progressively move up as you get closer to your goal weight. Atkins 40 is backed by 31 scientific studies, that prove the body can still switch to burning fats for fuel with up to 40 grams of Net Carbs per day, depending on how much weight you have to lose.

NEW ATKINS.COM

To help guide you through this process, we've launched an all new atkins.com that explains the two programs in detail. It even recommends the approach that is right for you. We'll also be introducing an enhanced Community experience in the coming weeks to help you succeed — with improved tools, including fitness trackers, meal planners, groups, discussion boards and more!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-14, 22:18

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Maybe this works when you have been eating enormous levels of carb and cut down to 40…..at least, it would work for awhile for sure. For me, no way, I always have to be below 20 to lose anything. Also, I never do net carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-14, 22:32

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
Maybe this works when you have been eating enormous levels of carb and cut down to 40…..at least, it would work for awhile for sure. For me, no way, I always have to be below 20 to lose anything. Also, I never do net carbs.

I agree and at my age if I'm not at under 20 grams of carbs I also do not lose anything. I have to stay closer to 10 with IF.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-14, 04:47

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Sounds like an attempt to compete with the ever-popular South Beach Diet. Starting at 40 grams instead of 20? Sounds like hype although it would probably work well for people in their 20's and 30's who have been eating high carb.

For long time low carbers who need to deal with carb-creep/20 pound weight gain, it probably is not a good plan.

Recent research has shown that "net carbs" is a "feel good" concept allowing more carb intake. Since many carbs contain both digestible and indigestible carbs, net carbs obscures this little fact.

Like the others, as a long time low carber, this plan would not help me take off the weight creep since I lost my initial weight. I may have only 30 pounds to lose, but it will only come off on a strict induction (20 total grams or less) program.

No matter how much tweaking is done, the Atkins label will still turn off a lot of people. Bad press hangs on a lot longer than good press.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-14, 05:22

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This is wonderful. People will be able to fit a lot more Atkins products into an induction with 40 grams of net carbs.

Quote:
Here's how the Atkins 40 Plan works:
Start with 40 grams of Net Carbs of carbohydrates a day. Net Carbs represent the total carbohydrate content of the food minus the fiber content and sugar alcohols (if in the product). The Net Carbs number reflects the grams of carbohydrate that significantly impact your blood sugar level and therefore are the only carbs you need to count when you do Atkins.

Sugar alcohols if in the product? How about food, not product.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-14, 06:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
I agree and at my age if I'm not at under 20 grams of carbs I also do not lose anything. I have to stay closer to 10 with IF.

And when I saw the thread title, thought the new program would be for only those under 40 years of age !

Love your comment, teaser. Now expect another new edition of Atkins Made Easy book for the New Year's Diet Season, showing meal plans made entirely of Atkins Frozen meals, bars and shakes.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-14, 08:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

...and they'll all join this forum and there will be 3405930945 "I'm following Atkins to the letter; why am I not losing weight?" threads.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-14, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile

I'm glad to hear someone else says the same thing. 10g carbs is about ideal for me, and the IF definitely helps. I almost always eat dinner around 5 to 6 pm, then my breakfast the next day is typically around 9, so on a daily basis I pretty much get a 15 hour fast window in my eating….works fine that way and I'm happy with it. Since I eat breakfast fairly late, I rarely eat lunch, so I'm mostly a two meal a day person. On top of that, I've found the rare 24 hour fast works wonders to stimulate scale movement. I think this will be a lifelong thing for me going forward, no way I can ever eat like I used to.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-14, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
This is wonderful. People will be able to fit a lot more Atkins products into an induction with 40 grams of net carbs.

Sugar alcohols if in the product? How about food, not product.

Exactly, I was thinking this very thing myself!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-14, 10:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/262/155 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:

I think that it will work. The idea is to avoid processed foods and eat whole foods like, meats and veggies. My husband is not following any specific plan, he has just eliminated the processed foods, including all breads and pastas - he still has BBQ sauce on his chicken and an occasional piece of fruit and he has lost 40 pounds since October. I say anything is worth giving a try, if your body shows results, then it works~!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-14, 11:20

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Not buying in on this one...but then I'm an almost 44 yr old 2nd timer who has to work and worry for every pound I lose. I like the idea of relaxed eating but in reality, it doesn't work for me right now. I need the LOW carbs.
And truthfully the stuff I miss is crap I will never eat again on a regular basis anyway. If I had 40g to work with, I might feel like I could 'fit some of it in' and that would be the kiss of death.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-14, 14:13

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
.....Bingo.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 00:06

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I knew when I posted this that the group of "hard core" Atkins on this forum would have negative comments.
There are so many different ways to do low carb and kenotic dieting.
It spurred a conversation which is what I'd intended.
There are those who go on from the 20 and below carbs to maintenance which is above the hard core Atkins followers point of view.
There is no moving up for them.
As a pancreatic cancer survivor with no pancreas I am unable to follow their way of eating.
My lows are too low.
When I start showing mid level ketones on the test strips I'm already in trouble and I move into diabetic ketoacidosis which makes me seriously ill.
I have to manage my diabetes and monitor it closely.
Low carb low fat works best for me and my health.
But we are all different and need to find our own way of eating that is right for our bodies.
The hard core Atkins would never work for me.
I hope the hard core Atkins comments will not put off those who want to do an Atkins like diet, including "New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great" that so many here follow.
Depending upon how many carbs one has eaten on a regular basis a reduction to 40 carbs will work for many.
Good conversation.
N2L
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 01:08

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Never2late,

I'm actually shooting for 80ish carbs (TBD) combined with low calories. I was all excited to see your post but when Teaser posted this

"Here's how the Atkins 40 Plan works:
Start with 40 grams of Net Carbs of carbohydrates a day. Net Carbs represent the total carbohydrate content of the food minus the fiber content and sugar alcohols (if in the product). The Net Carbs number reflects the grams of carbohydrate that significantly impact your blood sugar level and therefore are the only carbs you need to count when you do Atkins."

I was dismayed. I see it now as a marketing ploy.

Oh, well. I have diverticulosis and VLC is disastrous (and painful) for me. I'm just not willing to fight to go that low anymore. I need more plant foods to be healthy and comfortable.

The last time I did 20-25 carbs, I had to combine it with low calories to lose. I'll do that again this time. The first time around, in 2003-4ish, I lost 60 lbs. without much counting of anything...just restricted my food types to what was on the induction list. Ah, youth. lol

Last edited by gonwtwindo : Wed, Dec-24-14 at 02:07.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 04:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Also from the Atkins website
Quote:
Not all types of carbohydrates behave the same way in your body. For example, when your body digests table sugar, it turns it immediately into blood sugar. Other carbs, such as sugar alcohols, have a minimal impact on blood-sugar levels. Still other carbs, such as dietary fiber, pass through your body without having any impact on blood-sugar level. To date, the FDA has not focused on these important biochemical differences and treats all carbohydrates alike.

Not only do some LC researchers question this bit of Atkins wisdom, many individuals who test BGs find this is not true for them.
Even if Net Carbs works for you, the other issue is food quality. I read under the Atkins 40 page they still encourage 15g foundation vegetables (how many will follow this part?) but also now allow 25g other carbs. That's a lot of bars filled with questionable ingredients. On a LC FB I read, someone was complaining about how expensive Atkins is because the Pizzas are $4. At 11 net carbs, she can eat 2 a day. No mention that the first pizza ingredients in a very long list of unpronounceable chemicals are wheat gluten, cornstarch and soybean oil.

NANY is a good program that encourages higher vegetable consumption and allowed only an occasional product treat. On the Atkins website, this book is now recommended for "the science" and has been replaced by Atkins Made Easy, written by the Atkins dietician with a meal plan that is primarily frozen meals, bars and shakes. Atkins 40 will likely extend that marketing approach to more frozen meals and products, kits in Walmart, etc.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Dec-24-14 at 05:30.