Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 15:38

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
This bugs me, too. I'm trying to save time and money here, do I have to do EVERYTHING from scratch?! Sometimes I'm in a hurry and/or I'm broke!

I honestly had no idea that there was dill in ranch dressing. Ya learn something new every day. Thanks for these ideas: I just started an experiment of no seed oils. It's not very convenient. I'll be doing yogurt/sour cream based dressings, and maybe some homemade mayo if I think we're actually going to eat it.

Vinegar & oil dressings are actually quite easy & last for a week or more in the fridge. I found out by accident (because I'd tried a new vinaigrette recipe I didn't care for) that mixing it with mayo tastes really good!

The only reason I don't make my own mayo is because I eat only a few tablespoons a week - the commercial stuff lasts much longer in the fridge than homemade.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 16:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Do your own mayo with an immersion blender and a Mason jar. There are videos on Youtube.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 17:42

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

When I don't have time to make my own mayo, I use Primal Kitchen brand (Mark Sisson) made with no sugar and with avocado oil. To me, it tastes great and better than any major store-bought brand. It is pricey, but I don't use it frequently.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 20:06

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

So many people talk about liking the Primal Kitchen mayo. It makes me tempted to try it again as maybe it’s been changed. But I hate to waste the money since I bought it once a few years ago, first time I’d seen it, and loathed it so much that I tossed it right into the trash as well as the food I’d mixed it into. Not only did I find the taste awful but the texture, which I could only describe as sort of “rubbery” was creepy too. Currently I’m using Sir Kensington mayo which is all avocado oil. Does have some sugar but fairly far down the list. But they all taste awful compared to my beloved Duke’s which I used for years because it was sugar-free, but of course is made with soybean oil. 😞 But boy do I miss it. Nothing else tastes as good.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 02:19
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I've done the immersion blender mayo, but like Bonnie, I barely use any. I've also screwed it up. I hate the idea of wasting a 1/2 cup of expensive oil. I think I'll do it if I know I'll be off work (ie eating at home) and it's summer salad season: I can turn that into different types of dressings, and DH will want some for sandwiches.

I broke the glass I used for the immersion blender mayo. One of the keys to getting it right is using something that the blender fits into almost perfectly. I guess I should take it with me to shop for a new one. I think it was actually a flower vase.

I might try Sir Kensington's or Primal Kitchen, even with the weirdness. I don't even like plain mayo. It's just the base of my garlic mayo dip, cole slaw dressing, etc. I can probably disguise it if I don't care for it.

(I also hate vinegary dressings, which doesn't help my cause. )

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, May-02-19 at 02:26.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 07:14

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
That's happened to me, too. You'd think that vinaigrette would be oil & vinegar, maybe some herbs. But no, they have to add sugar! Which James Beard said was a no-no. His basic recipe is wine vinegar, oil, salt, & freshly ground pepper.

I watching cooking shows as I like to cook, EVERYONE adds sugar to EVERYTHING. In my frustration, I turn the channel. Sure which James Beard was here to lead the charge for no-sugar needed---- but the sugar added to everything craze started after he ended.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 07:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
I've done the immersion blender mayo, but like Bonnie, I barely use any. I've also screwed it up. I hate the idea of wasting a 1/2 cup of expensive oil. I think I'll do it if I know I'll be off work (ie eating at home) and it's summer salad season: I can turn that into different types of dressings, and DH will want some for sandwiches.

I broke the glass I used for the immersion blender mayo. One of the keys to getting it right is using something that the blender fits into almost perfectly. I guess I should take it with me to shop for a new one. I think it was actually a flower vase.

I might try Sir Kensington's or Primal Kitchen, even with the weirdness. I don't even like plain mayo. It's just the base of my garlic mayo dip, cole slaw dressing, etc. I can probably disguise it if I don't care for it.

(I also hate vinegary dressings, which doesn't help my cause. )

Sounds like you are excluding grapeseed oil and coconut oils, too. Personally, I have been reaching for evoo; on rare occassions making homemade mayo is a change up-- tastes very different than commercial stuff. But it requires an " oil" . Perhaps a hollandaise based dressing using butter...?
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 10:46

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
This bugs me, too. I'm trying to save time and money here, do I have to do EVERYTHING from scratch?! Sometimes I'm in a hurry and/or I'm broke!
I've been thinking about starting to make my own dressings, too. But a lot of the ones that I want to do to avoid seed oils then means either buying incredibly expensive non-seed oil mayo or making my own mayo from scratch with olive oil. Big production. And, personally, I'm more comfortable using pasteurized eggs for that, which I don't normally keep around. So, now I'm thinking of trying to make larger batches and canning it. But that involves pressure canning, so I need to buy new equipment...

Oy vey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
So many people talk about liking the Primal Kitchen mayo.
I bought a bottle of their vinaigrette to try and I hate it. It's flavorless.

At least making your own vinaigrette is easy. It's the other ones that are more of a production.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 12:09

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I find that most of the taste comes from the combination of herbs & spices. All they need is a vLC carrier, like butter or mayo or OO. Yogurt & sour cream are too carby & casein-y for me so I avoid them, but don't really miss them if I can recreate the taste and texture. I too use commercial mayo because homemade will go bad before I finish the smallest possible batch.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 12:16

BF:

Love the Primal Kitchen mayo made with avocado oil. Good keeper.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 12:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sisson announced that Primal Kitchen is on a huge market expansion, will soon be in Walmart, Target, etc.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 12:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Sisson announced that Primal Kitchen is on a huge market expansion, will soon be in Walmart, Target, etc.

I understand it has a funny backstory. His friend’s wife was pregnant and needed to eat more seafood, but the only way she liked it was with mayo and salads, so they got together and created avocado oil mayonnaise for her.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 12:28

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Well I saw it in my local grocery store the other day, though my mind is blank as to whether it was Publix or Fresh Market.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 12:50

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I understand it has a funny backstory. His friend’s wife was pregnant and needed to eat more seafood, but the only way she liked it was with mayo and salads, so they got together and created avocado oil mayonnaise for her.

Hah, Funny, I just was just reading the other day that they believe it raises the baby's IQ to eat seafood to increase iodine. They're even going as far as to say that an iodine deficiency in the mother might be the cause of Autism.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, May-04-19, 17:01

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%
Default Love celery seed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I will have to try celery seed. I do love celery.

I put celery seed into my home made vinaigrette, it's delicious!